1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Nvidia 3xxx series thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The_Crapman, 6 Jun 2020.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pictures from videocarz, who got them from chiphell.

Super fake. Super super fake. Move along. Nothing to see.

LisaScott123, Vault-Tec and adidan like this.
  2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Hmm. Whoever faked it did a nice job.

LisaScott123 likes this.
  3. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

As a card design it kinda works and looks different. If fake then it's a lot of effort.

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Where are the power connectors?

Edit: Plus something about that cooler design just doesn't sit right with my engineers brain.

5. Vault-Tec

[​IMG]

6. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

It has one fane on the top, one fan on the bottom and fins laid out in a way that blocks airflow, it looks cool, but if it's the real one Nvidia have gone insane.

7. Vault-Tec

I can see it working though. I love how clever the fin and fan design are. It should force all of the heat out of the end of the card. Kinda like blower efficiency without the horrendous noise.

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Not necessarily completely fake.

The pcb and cooler may well be of an actually existing but never released prototype of some random GPU (so the only thing fake about it would be the logos).

9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

This would be a insane way to do it, take it from someone who designs these things.
    I understand how it works, I design this kind of thing, but it just seems really wrong in a way I can't put my finger on. Also that PCB design makes no sense.

10. Vault-Tec

Yeah it's very odd. I would assume there are going to be covers all over it, with one fan in the back and one in the front.

Apparently the 20 series cooler was massively over designed. Seems they've really gone to town on this if it's real :D

11. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

But you'll have PCB > wires> connector. Thats crimping and cable assembly, hand soldering wires into the PCB, increased failure points, massively inflated costs, for what? A pretty cooler? Nvidia has never cared about asthetics this much, I doubt it would bother now. And that PCB design makes no sense at all. Completely fake, would never get made.

12. Vault-Tec

From what I can make out it works on two chambers. Both are designed to work like a blower. Bringing in cool air and sending it out the ends.

[​IMG]

It looks like the GPU core side draws it in from under the card (like cards do now) and the right side of the card (as you look at it in the case) draws air in from the top, possibly either shoving it out of the end as I have scribbled, or maybe the PCB is perforated (like the old GTX 480 and a few others) and it pushes it straight down.

What it seems like they are doing is creating two cooling zones. Both are isolated from each other. The main complaint with coolers like this is that they blow hot air around the inside of the case. Unlike the blower, which removes all of that heat but is very noisy.

13. The_Crapman

But look at the fans, they're down draft fans not blower fans, the edges are completely enclosed. The fans are also a bit different which is completely odd.

boiled_elephant likes this.
  14. Vault-Tec

They are like Eloops. This is becoming quite popular on GPUs (my Asus dual has them) because not only does it stiffen the feck out of the blades but it allows air to be pulled directly in, like a blower. Only without the horrendous noise.

[​IMG]

What it looks like they are doing is making it force air out of the V shaped chamber. The only part I can't get my head around is how the PCB works. That's if it is real of course. Maybe the VRM is on a separate board?

I also think it is missing some covers. namely on the bottom pic you can see exposed edges to the left of the fan.

I don't know why, but the more unbelievable it looks the more believable it becomes to me. Why? because if you have seen the GN video where they tore down a 2080Ti and how obscenely over engineered (to the point of LOL) the cooler was it just makes sense to me.

Edit. That fan design? that is why the Eloops are so good. Because it allows them to almost eliminate the gap between the blade and the frame of the fan. This is something Noctua seriously struggled over with their new fans (you know the ones, with the metal showing in the middle). They said that getting moulded plastic that close to the outer frame posed severe issues. There was fan warp etc, so the fans would scrape and god knows what else. Especially at high speed.

15. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I think you're trying to put reason something that has none. I can come up with lots of reasons why that wouldn't work. But the biggest evidence we have? The whole of the GPU market! If a cooler like this gave any benifits you know Asus or EVGA would have done it year ago. Look aty more or less all coolers, they follow two designs, with the blow design slowly dying. Thats because its simplier, cheapier and easier to do the design all cards have. KISS, keep it simple stupid is the number one rule for engineering. That card is fake.

bawjaws likes this.
  16. Vault-Tec

I am just speculating dude. That's all. Time will tell.

If it's fake? that is one hell of an elaborate fake. Why? because it clearly shows both sides of the card. It's quite clearly not a render either.

I can understand how it would work. Like I say, let's see.

17. The_Crapman

But they'll blow, not suck. That fan at the back is going to blow air up through the fins and into the path of CPU air coolers. The fan at the front is going to blow onto the PCB, which isn't abnormal, but the shroud completely blocking any air from getting out other than through the io, which is fine for an airflow directed that way, but very little of it will be.

18. Vault-Tec

OK. The bottom picture is of the card in the position we are used to. The left side is back plate. The GPU core and memory fan is underneath, as usual.

[​IMG]

The green arrow indicates the same parts of the card. One is a top view (the back plate) and the card above is flipped. Not rotated, flipped. How do I know?

[​IMG]

See the red line on the left? flip the card end on end over that in the direction of the red arrows. Now look at the screw part that I have highlighted in yellow, and where it ends up.

That is 100% two sides of the card. Also in the bottom pic you can see the PCIE edge connector, right? look at the "card" above it. No edge connector, because it is flipped and out of view.

19. Vault-Tec

20. The_Crapman

Balls. I did this very thing earlier, I know it's 2 sides, just getting orientation wrong, can't get my head right at the minute :rollingeyes: so the rear fan is blowing air straight down at the floor of the case, where the fan at the front needs to get it's air from, where it will mostly just stir it about, stealing air from the path of a CPU cooler rather than pushing into it.