1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Power Tools

Discussion in 'General' started by LennyRhys, 24 Apr 2021.

1. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Thing is, you can make a thermos of like 1.5L of coffee and take it with you...and if you need more than that, well, you're caffeinating your way to an early grave.

2. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

True that. But _fresh_ coffee!

LennyRhys likes this.
  3. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

4. jinq-sea

Yep that'd do it!

5. jinq-sea

I added four new things (six, if you count the two new batteries) to the Makita stable here...

DMP180 Tyre Inflator
    DTM52 Multi Tool
    DML805 Work Light (woo it's quite bright)
    DMR115 DAB+/Bluetooth Radio

Tyre inflator is quality - can't have a decent compressor in the garage here, light is ruddy bright, but haven't got started with the other two yet.

I'm still looking at that impact wrench and the orbital polisher. Oh and the sander. But they can wait for another day.

Arboreal likes this.
  6. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Aye, the DMP180 is awesome. Very happy with mine, and not having to go to a petrol station for air topups anymore.

Arboreal likes this.
  7. jinq-sea

Wish I'd bought one sooner.

Arboreal and liratheal like this.
  8. Mister_Tad

How is it compared to something like this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ring-RAC61...&keywords=tyre+inflator&qid=1623416997&sr=8-5

I keep one of these (or close enough) in the boot of each car for "just in case" sort of scenarios, but if the makita is appreciably better for just topping up on the drive that might be a winner. It would certainly be easier to just throw a battery in and top them all up.

9. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I couldn't say - I've never used anything even remotely similar to that doodad. I don't imagine it's appreciably different, other than using the same Makita ecosystem as everything else. My primary use case is topping up on the drive and when changing the summers for winters, so probably not too dissimilar to yours - But I had nothing powered to hand prior to this.

10. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

11. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Added a Dewalt mitre saw to my growing range of power tools (house renovations are expensive!)

Only a comparatively cheap model for a mitre saw but seems to cut nice and square

https://www.dewalt.co.uk/products/dws773-gb--216mm-mitre-saw

Anyone have any experience with Makita mowers or hedge trimmers? I've got a Makita drill with 2 18v batteries so quite fancy the idea of a cordless mower / trimmer (my flymo is terrible)

12. Mister_Tad

I have a DLM533 that I rate highly - no issues on long wet grass and will happily do 1/4 acre (of lawn only, if that makes sense) in any conditions. Doesn't even make it onto the second bank of batteries if it's dry-ish and not too long.
    My only possible gripe is that the handle is fixed and won't fold easily for stowage.

The only time I found it a bit lacking was last weekend using it not-as-intended to hoover up a truckload of neglect after de-thatching - needed to make few passes to get it all up and the collection bag needed emptying many, many, many, many times. But by truckload I mean literally just that - I think it was 18 bags in the end.

[​IMG]

Hedge trimmer - have had a DUG523 for several years and it's fine for gentle use. Ergonomics wise not ideal for doing tall hedges though.

I have a DUX60+EN401MP now, and the 1m extension for good measure. I've used the motor many times with a line trimmer and no complaints - smooth, well balanced and quiet enough. I've only used the hedge trimmer for a short period to test and it's a beast, but then it should be. Without the extension & with the shoulder straps it's easy enough to handle. With the extension it's a bit much, but then if you need to go high, you need to go high.

Spraduke likes this.
  13. jinq-sea

The Makita inflator knocks any 'cheaper' thing I have used into a cocked hat - for the tyres on my car an inflator either needs to be a receiving tank from a compressor, or something with lots of puff. The Makita has done the job admirably - better than anything I have used before.

I've got a dual 18v LXT strimmer, mower, and hedge trimmer. All are excellent - mower is, in fairness, for a small lawn, but the strimmer and hedge trimmer are impressive.

14. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I've got the DeWalt strimmer and something I like about it is that if you run it on the low speed, it's very quiet.

15. Mister_Tad

How so though? I.e. if the cheap ones I have fill the tyres in the cars, what am I missing? The cordless one would definitely be more user friendly, but are we talking quieter, quicker, more accurate as well?

16. jinq-sea

Well - the cheapies I have tried before barely got the tyre to the requisite pressure, and if they did, took ages. Also the gauge on this as you suggest is more accurate as far as I can tell. Quieter, quicker, more accurate, no need to have engine running for the 12v.

17. Mister_Tad

Nice one - not being attached to a cable and running vehicle was most of the way towards convincing me, was just curious whether the other aspects were any better. I won't rush out and order one but I will keep an eye out for a bargain and grab it when it comes up.

18. jinq-sea

Good plan.

19. kim

kim hardware addict

Someone mentioned this thread, never read it before, now I did, so let's talk about power tools :grin:
    If I had a favourite brand to name, it would be Festool ... those tools are just amazing, but pricy, and they are not producing all kind of tools, I only have a combi-drill from Festool, 20 yo and it has been through a lot of wars, but still working great, except one battery died and the second one starts to show age...
    but I agree :thumb: some other brands like Bosch :grin:, Makita, Ryobi, Dewalt...are great as well
    My computer and modding workshop has got a basic set of tools, a mixture of many brands
    [​IMG]
    The old blueish hammer drill is from Black&decker, the grinder too, the router is Bosch.
    I have another workshop next to the house but I don't actually have pics and it needs to be sorted and cleaned before I can show pictures :hehe:

20. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Recently borrowed a Milwaukee impact driver from a friend and now I feel like I need an impact driver in my life even though we are essentially at the end of work requiring one! Maybe if I can find a deal on a Makita as I've already got a cordless drill.