Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

So I tried going mechanical a few years ago with a Corsair K63 but I didn't get in to it and found it too loud, but it appears my ancient cyborg V3 is getting a bit flakey and now I'm considering converting again.

I'm looking for basic KB with a num pad, backlight appreciated although I don't care for the current RGB frenzy, and something not as loud as the K63.

My quick Amazon search brought up a Logitech G213 or G413 or a Corsair K60 (Brands I know and have used before)

Let's get down to it, switches, what colour am I looking for?

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

If you want something quiet then try MX Silent Red (sometimes called MX Pink). Unlike fitting o-rings to the underside of the caps which makes the switches feel all mushy and awful, these have sound dampening built into the switch themselves. I've fallen hard for them and now own two boards with them in

3. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

*Warning - lightweight mech board topic*
    Having sold my Corsair K65 TKL and looked around for a replacement TKL board with RGB, I've a couple of disparate choices in mind. I'm not trying to go hardcore and not willing to cross the 'serious' mech board rabbit hole event horizon!
    Cheapo option - Drevo Blademaster TE with Browns at £65
    Higher end option - Steelseries Apex 7 TKL with Browns at £145

The 'Inner Magpie' likes the lighting and also the Apex volume knob/OLED, but all I need is something I can game on in lower light and type on that is not as clicky as Blue, but more force than Red

I'm also looking at a Ducky TKL on Ebay that would do, but it has no media keys.

4. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Keychron boards, anyone any experience with them?

Looking to get a new board for work. It's largely hot-desking with laptops (with some WFH) but cables all over the place from mouse, keyboard, power and monitor are annoying as ****, so if can go wireless would help with that and the compactness of the K4 Keychron board would mean easier portability.
    [​IMG]
    In an ideal world I'd want a wireless board with Mx blacks (or equivalent), so of anyone knows of something that fits the bill that'd be much appreciated. Does need to have a keypad as I spend most my day punching in numbers. Separate keypad is always an option and I already have one.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I have a Keychron... hang, on let me find the Kickstarter campaign I backed... Keychron K3. It's an ultra-slim portable keyboard, and I opted for the optical switches - so it's kinda-mechanical kinda-not-mechanical. Three Bluetooth profiles plus wired USB with Apple and not-Apple modes - though I seem to remember I had to do something in Linux to get the function keys to play nicely, I forget what.

I've put a lot of words through it, and it's still going strong. It's not as satisfying as a proper mechanical, but there's still a gentle click from the Keychron Optical Low Profile White switches - and it's a lot quieter than, say, a Cherry MX Blue or Kailh Box White, so less of an issue in a shared environment.

Better still, it's available with Keychron's version of a Cherry MX Black, as you requested - same 50g actuation force as Cherry's, though I think the travel's shorter. However, while the optical version of the keyboard has hot-swappable switches they're only compatible with Keychron's own switches - you can't shove a Gateron, Kailh, or Cherry in there. You'll not be able to change the keycaps, either, as they're custom low-profile things.

For portability, tho', you can't beat it - but it doesn't have a keypad, so may not fit the bill for you. Still, I'm pretty happy with my purchase - even if I keep hitting the screenshot key when I'm heading for backspace...

The_Crapman likes this.
  6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Oh, I forgot, I had something of my own to post: just backed this melty beast.

[​IMG]

Fully-wireless (with wired mode) mechanical split-and-dished ergo keyboard. The layout looks a lot like the Maltron, but with low-profile keys, a more prominent palm rest, and significantly better build quality. I've always liked the Maltron layout (or, rather, the Maltron design with QWERTY layout) but the hollow plastic chassis and higgeldy-piggeldy key spacing annoyed. Hopefully this will be a big improvement on that front.

Not cheap, though: I've backed it at NZ$494, which is about £244 - plus VAT and handling when it lands. That said, it's still nearly £200 cheaper than the non-wireless, non-split, poor-build-quality Maltron will set you back...

7. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

The "w" key on my Corsair K70 Lux (reds) is double activating randomly and is driving me mad. Sometimes it also doesn't register a press.

Is this an indication of cleaning needed or is the switch buggered?

8. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Seems to be a common failing with the key switches on Corsair boards. All three of ours developed key chatter but I CBA swapping out switches any more.

I won't buy Corsair boards now.

There is a piece of software that is supposed to let you dial it out, but I found it more annoying the the key chatter. Can't remember what it was called - I'll try and find it tonight.

9. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Thanks Dave, sounds like I need a replacement.

Any suggestions for a full size mechanical with the following reqs:
    - 90% work (typing), 10% gaming (recs for switch type please, currently using reds but wife complains about the noise)
    - USB connectivity (I use a KVM)
    - UK key layout
    - backlit keys (nice to have)
    - please no RGB if possible

10. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

Maybe something like the GMMK full size if you fancy playing with different switches? Very happy to recommend the Silent Alpacas, or Gateron Black Ink v2 silent. If you’re after something tactile, seeing as you’re mainly typing, I’ve also got some Zilent v2s in a board that I’ve been happy with - Zeal switches are not cheap though.

If don’t want to start down the rabbit hole, and you like MX reds, there is a silent version that some Ducky and other boards ship with e.g. this one (other retailers are available!)

11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I have a UK layout K8! Lovely keyboard, really like it! Unlike Mr H, I have full size switches (Gateron blues) and caps, so it's a proper clacker. The K8 is a TKL though, so that specific model is no good for you. Make sure you find the 'UK layout' versions of their boards though because they're ANSI by default.

No fancy firmware features at all, but it's a solid little board.

The_Crapman likes this.
  12. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

I’ve just ordered the new Q2. Shipping was quick, though how long it will take to arrive who knows! It’s reviewed well and happy to share my thoughts once I get my hands on it.

The_Crapman likes this.
  13. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Bought a full size GMMK for the other half recently and I'd recommend it if you're looking for a wired board!

It IS RGB back-lit, but it's very easy to adjust the backlight mode and colour in the software. My OH's board is just on solid purple.

14. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not sure I want to go down the rabbit hole of putting together my own but am happy to try other switch types - either brown or silent I think given the reading I have been doing. The trick is finding a full size, backlit, USB with browns in stock at the moment...

15. Gareth Halfacree

If it doesn't have to be Ducky, there's a nice Cherry MX Board 1.0 on KeyboardCo. Full-size, dimmable white backlight, genuine Cherry MX Browns, N-key rollover, USB. And it's under £100 delivered, to boot.

Byron C likes this.
  16. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Yeah, I edited the post to remove Ducky, was browsing Ducky in another tab and had a brain fade.

That Cherry looks perfect, tried to purchase using Paypal but Paypal told me that supplier doesn't deliver to my address... weird.

Anyway, will try again in a bit, currently doing dad taxi duty.

17. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Just tried again, something is up between that website and Paypal, the transaction doesn't appear to go through. I have emailed them to see if they can see my order, otherwise it is probably try again tomorrow.

18. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

The_Crapman likes this.
  19. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

It'd be the K4 I'd get, still compactish for 99% of a full sized board, in UK layout. Maybe I should just forget the wireless thing and get a normal board, figure out some better cable management instead. Turns out the WFH thing isn't set in stone just yet and will be office based mostly. Also moving to a new office in a month or 2, so might just get a normal wired one and a set of nice caps.

That board does look really nice. Giant left control key a bonus for the 1,537 copy&paste jobs I do on a daily basis. But also can record macros without the use of software. It's meant to be available in all the main cherry switches, but can only find it in red sadly, although wouldn't be terrible.

20. Gareth Halfacree

Nah, it's still in the wrong place. Just map Caps Lock to Left Control, job's a good 'un. Puts the thing where it's supposed to be.

Byron C, BeauchN and The_Crapman like this.