1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Well with that Asus board being able to record macros on the fly and has a few profiles, I can set c, X and v for their control functions Nd turn that on and off depending what I'm doing.

I do really like the look of the K4 though.

SuperHans123 likes this.
  2. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

...and ordered the Cherry with browns, many thanks to Gareth for pointing it out.

BeauchN and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  3. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

I've been using it for about a month for work and play.
    It's been great, solid no nonsense.
    Handy media options on the F keys and a 'minimise everything' key as well.
    Wasn't available in many places and could only find with red switches but I'm ok with red.

The_Crapman likes this.
  4. The_Crapman

So, I think I've decided on my new keeb. I've since found out that I'll actually be mostly office based with only the odd day or 2 of WFH, although it's "hot-desking", people generally have their desk and stick to it, it's mostly HR and area manager types that move about the country actually hot-desking. So, Bluetooth and portability aren't essential and having got back into it, I've realised that I use a lot of muscle memory manoeuvring about the keyboard for spreadsheets and system manipulation. I feel like interfering with that with a new form factor at this early stage of job mastery would get frustrating, so I'm not going to go for a Keychron K4.

I started sorting through keyboards lowest first, find something relatively cheap, but I've done that all too often of late and regretted it. I also don't like the open/exposed plate mount style that's become prevalent, and the reason I really like my old quickfire xt is that it's heavy as heck and built like a tank. Do I really need macros, LEDs or any fancy shenanigans? No, I just want a board that won't move when pummeled with my spam hands, will come nicely set up and not need any tweaking (like the mountain board I reviewed that made a noise like a Zebedee orgy) and if I comes with nice caps then all the better, but I've got a custom WASD on standby. I found a UK site with some "proper" boards and had almost decided on a Flico when I found this absolute beauty.
    [​IMG]
    Durgod Taurus 310 Space Gray. I'm in love.

5. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I've had my Filco almost 3½ years and not regretted it for a second.

The_Crapman likes this.
  6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

That's very pretty.

The_Crapman likes this.
  7. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

It's arrived, fells nice, easy to setup & update firmware and works with my KVM - bonus!

Now to use it in anger.

As an aside, KeyboardCo were excellent to deal with.

Byron C and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I've never actually bought from them, but I've spoken to the boss man for an article I was writing about... I forget. Ergonomics, I think. Nice guy!

9. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Keyboard Company is where I got my Majestouch all those years ago. Seemed pretty cool back then too. I just checked - 2011. So. 11 years of service so far, admittedly a little break here and there for the Corsair, but still solid as a rock.

Last edited: 30 Jan 2022
  10. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Buying a Filco was the best keyboard buying decision I’ve ever made. I expect mine to last 11years plus too.

11. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Yeah, it's a really sturdy thing. Not very fancy, but honestly I like that about it.

The only reason I modified the K70 to have non-clicky greens is because I also wanted a little backlighting, which I can't get on the Majestouch particularly easily.

I could do three wire RGB LED's on each switch if I swapped the cases for the now ubiquitous blues I've got spare, but that'd be a lot of work for not a lot of return - I struggle getting transparent key caps with the German layout.

12. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

Likewise! Mine is still as good as the day I got it second hand in 2013

13. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Hello, newbie here who had been using the Coolermaster Quickfire TK for a few years.... there was an Argos misprice and I bought this one.
    https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/c...-quickfire-tk-mechanical-gaming-keyboard.html
    I like it a lot, love the layout, like the type feeling and very used to it now.

But working from home, the keyboard is a bit too loud when trying to talk and type. So as quiet as possible for this new one.
    How would I know the quietness and feel of the keyboard before buying one?

I'm looking for replacement that is similar:
    - compact size with number pad (no wider than ~38cm)
    - number pad is highly desirable, but the enter key must be the right-most key because I often use it by lifting the mouse hand slightly
    - arrows and home/end are a must
    - tactile switch feel (I like Cherry brown in this one)
    - illuminated keys (RGB not fussed)
    - ISO UK layout
    - bluetooth would be good, to allow quick switching between PC and laptop

Is the Keychron K4 the only choice out there?

14. The_Crapman

Yeh, pretty much. Seems as phones kept getting bigger and bigger, with fuller keyboards, keyboards got smaller and smaller with less phones. Wait. No. But you get what I mean. TK keyboards were a bit of a flash in the pan. Shame though.

It's probably far from what you want, but probably the only thing I saw similar to the K4 was this one on Amazon, but it's only half a keypad
    [​IMG]

There's also the Logitech k760 that's not mechanical, but might do when there's need for quiet?
    [​IMG]

An alternative might be to get a 65% or 70% board and a separate numpad. There are silent brown switches, I know gateron do some.

Wait I found one!
    [​IMG]
    https://www.cclonline.com/product/2...rd-Black-with-Cherry-MX-Red-Switches/KBD1686/

It's got red linear switches, but they might be a little quieter, especially being new and lubed. Might be one with silent reds or browns about somewhere.

wyx087 and ElThomsono like this.
  15. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

Sounds like a challenge. I fell down the rabbit hole when my girlfriend commented on how loud the switches on my board were - I thought they were fine :). And I have to say that quietness and feel is very subjective - different people can find the same switch, well, different.

There are a few ‘1800’ layout boards around, but mostly slightly wider than 380mm or in ANSI layout. Usually wider because they tend to have a separated arrow cluster that adds a few mm.

Having a quieter switch is a challenge in a pre-built board, there are no ‘standard’ silent tactile switches I’m aware of, though have a vague recollection Gateron make something like a silent brown. A heavier switch, like a Black, if that prevents you bottoming out, might be quieter, though come at the cost of more effort for your fingers. O-rings under the key caps may change the tone and sound quieter, as can lubing switches, but generally a challenge in a soldered board.

Something like the Melody96 might work for you - layouts A and D are both ISO. If you’re happy picking things up from AliExpress and it being 382mm wide!

Would a 60% and separate numpad work? That could open up opportunities for hot-swap boards that would let you try different switches to find what works best. Or at least offer a few more boutique switch types as the market seems to be heading towards the smaller end of the market; Ducky did some 60% boards with Zeal switches I recall, and a hot swap version. But they do get a bit more spendy, and ISO versions are less common.

Or, if you’re up for some DIY, de-soldering and changing the switches on your current board could be an option. But fairly time consuming.

wyx087 likes this.
  16. wyx087

I saw that in my rainforest recommendations. But it doesn't have the normal numpad layout with the Enter key.......

Non-mechanical would be quiet, but I'm pretty sure I type faster on the tactile keys and it feels nicer.

This one looks very interesting. not sure about loosing the tactile feedback though. I may have to visit Currys and try out some gaming keyboard with red switches.

Indeed, everyone's taste is different, and it's amazing the further I dig, the more options I find for keyboard.
    But I'm not sure I want to go down the DIY route, well, not until there's absolutely no options. Currently there's still the K4.

Good shout. O rings might work, it wouldn't remove the clatter as finger move across the keys, but would reduce bottom-out noise. I tend to hit quite hard when (trying to) type fast. I've ordered a kit to try, thanks.

On 60%, I will need to have a think. It's mainly my tendency to use right mouse-hand to hit enter on Windows prompts that drives the numpad requirement. Not sure reaching to top left of mouse pad, numpad placed above keyboard. 2 keyboards would also be wider due to additional bezels.

17. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

O rings do help a lot with noise, so does having your keyboard on a desk mat rather than directly on the desk. (Foam core board works too, or folded material, anything to isolate vibrations).

Proper silent switches will always be quieter though as they reduce the noise from the switch topping out too.

wyx087 likes this.
  18. wyx087

Is there such foam core board product for adding to existing keyboards? eg, the hollow space between the base and PCB.
    upload_2022-2-4_10-48-15.jpeg

It is on the Ikea desk pad: https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/rissla-desk-pad-black-40246156/ (that left section robs me space for full sized keyboard)
    But it does sound slightly quieter if I place on a fabric mousepad. So I'll have a look at ordering a more suitable sized pad TKL sized keyboard, thank you.

Anything i could do to reduce the clattering noise made when finger brush over the keys?

19. The_Crapman

They seem to be out of stock in the obvious places, but see of you can find an AUKEY KMP4 desk pad. It's 1200x600mm so will likely cover your entire desk, it's decently thick too and cut out a lot of noise I had from my previous thin one.

Edit: and it's not that expensive either. I got mine for about £15, they're $25 on the US sites I saw them on

Last edited: 4 Feb 2022
    wyx087 likes this.
  20. BeauchN

BeauchN Multimodder

There are all sorts of options for putting material into cases to change the sound the board makes. There is a YouTube video here by Badseed looking specifically at the Keychron Q1, but the mods would be effective on all sorts of boards. also worth looking around at other sources for ways to dampen sound as well. I often put foam in the bottom of my keyboard cases or between PCB and plate.

wyx087 likes this.