1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics [Laptop screen] How-To???

Discussion in 'Modding' started by white modder, 14 Feb 2004.

1. white modder

white modder What's a Dremel?

ok when I wash cleaning up the attick I fount my first and only laptop
    a compaq
    series: 2810F
    fcc id: cnt75mafaf

with a LCD 138041-001 it doesnt say anything about controller
    so can I connect it with my desktop and use it like a graph lcd
    i know there is a sticky about this but I didnt knew if I were allowed to post there (it is a sticky you know)

Last edited by a moderator: 27 Sep 2005
  2. white modder

and may I post some screen so you can see how it looks???

3. coorz

coorz Miffed

Oh boy, brace yourselves! :worried:

Maar als Nederlander die graag in het altijd gezellige Belgie vertoef, wil ik je toch wijzen op dit topic: http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_messages/799377/
    Het is wel mogelijk maar is nogal gecompliceerd.

Translation:
    Sure it's possible, check out this Dutch forum-thread. Not as easy though.

4. white modder

man bedankt hier ben ik veel mee, heb gistere zelf 3 uur !!!!!!! zitte zoeke op got maar na 40 paginas te hebben onderzocht en de faq was ik het beu en heb ik het hier gezet. kga mezelf effe aant werk zette
    bedankt nogmaal

[translation] I just tnx him because the link was very useful and how I searched on the same forum yesterdays for hours without result[/translation]

however tips are always usefull and when I'm done I will translate that howto and put it here and on pdf on my site :thumb: :rock: :thumb: :rock:

5. coorz

coorz Miffed

It'd be great if you could write a clear how-to on this matter. That Dutch thread is difficult to follow. And i gots 6 14" TFT laptop screens gathering dust...

6. Blue Raven

Blue Raven What's a Dremel?

From previos threads, i thought this was imposible to do without an expensive controller card. I'd be realy interested in how they do it but unfortunatly i cannot read dutch and nither google nor babelfish can translate it to english. Are there any other translators that will do dutch to english?

7. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

Last edited: 14 Feb 2004
  8. The Bodger

The Bodger What's a Dremel?

wow! Mission impossible just became possible, and the tools to do it have been with us for years! Looks like they have used the 'feature connector' on the graphics card to run the LCD. Shame that I cannot read the rest of it. Please! Someone translate this for us!! I have several dead laptops with ok screens... the modding possibilities are huge!

Edit: just gone looking for my old lcd screens from laptops and remembered that I threw them out last summer, as I thought, "these will never be of use again, I have no controller for them..." :sigh: :waah:

Last edited: 14 Feb 2004
  9. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

this isthe greatest find in these forums sooo far PLEASE DUTCH PPL TRANSLATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS URL TRANSLATOR IS TANSLATING ALOT OF IT

http://www.systranbox.com

10. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

i have a translation !!!!!1

http://gathering.tweakers.net/forum/list_messages/799377/

11. white modder

ok I've just read whole that thing and have informed me about it at the local electronics shop (very smart guy) he will help me, so in a month of 2/3 we will bring out a guide or something like that. why so much time??
    first school
    then it is complicated believe me
    and I'm starting a mod so
    have to build 3 sites for clans and 1 for school
    holiday to italy so I havent much time but I will complete that guide and put it here, on got and so on
    oh yeah i cannot assure it will work on ALL screens cause you need the pinout and somethimes it just cant be found

12. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

ebay here i comp pointing my browser to laptops 486 on

13. sk8ero

sk8ero What's a Dremel?

i have an old compaq laptop with a black and white screen, can this be used>?

14. white modder

can you say the number
    look everyone will ask it and I cant assure it like I said cause you need to find the pinout and somethimes it cant be found and de company where your screen is from will mostly be silent (they dont say a thing)

question::: cant we put all datasheets/pinouts together and make a database of it????

15. The Bodger

The Bodger What's a Dremel?

Like the idea of a database of pinouts for LCD screens. Could also be extended to Alphanumeric mini LCDs etc too.

As for using black and white LCDs, they are not likley to work. This is actually mentioned in the original post written by Sprite_tm:

Lousy translation, but I think I interperted it ok.

16. coorz

coorz Miffed

Basically what you need is a pin layout of YOUR TFT screen, a VGA card with a VESA Feature Connector (most old PCI VGA cards). That's all.
    Without any additonal circuitry you can have 16 colors for your screen. More colors involves more circuitry (not in his how-to)
    Also important what he says is that most pin-outs you find for your screen are incorrect, it's a matter of trial and error to find the working combination of pins.
    Shall i ask the author if i may translate his how-to guide ? Should be no problem for me.

I see he also managed to get 256 colors....

17. white modder

yep he did

and you can use black white my mate of the electroshop says but it depends of the maker

18. white modder

just installed a pci graphic card very funny to see,
    never thought to use that garbisch again,

19. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

whitemodder couldu writeout a list of the stuff ur using eg canddetails, cable etails,lcd model and wat laptop itsfrum etc also email me a tutorial in english if possible pep_uk@hotmail.com

20. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Well, I went looking at some PCI video cards, many have a 2x13 row of pins labelled as a connector - would this be a VESA feauture connector?

I am a bit confused as to finding it on PCI cards, because VESA bus was the precursor to AGP, AFAIK.