1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electric Shock - Ouch!

Discussion in 'General' started by wilkyboy, 4 Mar 2006.

1. wilkyboy

wilkyboy What's a Dremel?

Hehe, whilst changing out the fans in my psu, i left the fan cover off, so just a second ago, i accidently stuck my hand in while unplugging somthing (the PC was on) and got a shock, ouch! my whole arm is now tingly and shakey. Sure got my heart beating though :p, anyone else ever had shock expiriences?

2. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I was working on my watercooling loop, back when I had the pump relay hardwired into the PSU (Bad Idea).

I switched the PSU power off, opened up the relay box and clamped my hand around it to undo the screws.

It was what can only be described as "an unpleasant feeling", it didn't so much hurt as scare me because I knew it wasn't good :duh:

I managed to pull my hand away and I thought man those capacitors hold a charge :blush: Anyway, I thought that was them discharged so I grabbed it again, queue another electric shock. Slightly confused, no matter. This time I thought I'd discharge it for sure so I shorted out the offending pins with an insulated screwdriver.

Sparks. Lots of sparks. I stood there knowing that no ammount of residual current would do that, but I simply refused to believe it was still live :confused:

On further inspection, I realised I'd wired it in before the switched live on the PSU, and that it was full fat mains electricity going to the relay, and then my hand :worried:

Learned a lot there, don't do it kids, electricity kills.

A few others spring to mind but that was by far the most impressive ;)

3. Hybr1d

Hybr1d Bаnned

I've not had any bad shocks really, although I got a quite a big electro-static shock off my bed yesterday!

4. .308AR

.308AR What's a Dremel?

I have melted the tip of a screw driver. Half the house power got knocked out..."nope mom, I don't know what happened" :D. Luckily I didn't get shocked and reset the breakers and all was well.

5. GiGo

GiGo was once a nerd.....

Got a few shocks off my train set when I was younger (before I realised how sad having on e really is)

Got a few cuts of steel cases in the past, but no real bad electro shocks

Regards
    GiGo

6. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Always get static shocks from cars, pretty much everytime lol!

Got one from PSU the other day, plugged it and got a shock from the plug (which is unusual :S)

7. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Was doing some PSU modding and brushed my hand on big ceramic capacitor which was charged as I'd just tested it. There was a loud crack and it sure didn't feel nice :hehe:

8. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Ive had one from the mains before when wiring in a new light fitting, also used to get loads of static shocks of my girlfriend when I went to kiss her (transfered through our noses)

9. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i was one day fixing my moms hot iron, the cable was screwed so i cut it with my knife, BZZZZT POW landed 5 meters away, the iron was still conected to the soket.

10. Xenred

Xenred What's a Dremel?

Lucky your not dead then :hehe:

11. 731|\|37

731|\|37 ESD Engineer in Training

I used to sit behind the couch where the heat vent was when I was realy little, and we had this very old standing lamp which came with an equaly old plug. Long story short the cover came off the plug leaving nothing but the contacts for the +- prongs and exposed wires. I tried to unplug it to fix it and I grabbed both sides of the exposed plug (thumb and poiunter finger contacting each prong) I started to shake and then I let go. Dazed as all hell at 7 in the morning for a 5yr old. I think I ended up doing it twice.

12. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Was ghetto'ing a PSU one day, busy unplugging it with the case off and accidentally managed to bridge the on/off switch with my palm.
    Before I even knew what happened i was on the other side of the room with my arm spasming...

13. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Wasn't it you pointing out DXR_13KE's spelling errors here? :duh:

14. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Owned :D

15. ajack

ajack rox

I was putting a new bulb in a lamp a few weeks ago and I over-tightened the bulb; it smashed resulting in pretty cut up hands, then I was lucky enough to touch the filament which gave me a nice shock. I'll remember to unplug it next time...

16. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

LOL, i know English realy well but i am a disaster at spelling.

:D this was one of my many electic shocks, it has been a while since my last one:

screwing a bulb into a badly conected soket, and touching the metal.

17. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

I always get a static shock with my index finger of my right hand. It happens all the time and I'm not sure why!

But my only proper electric shock from the mains was when I plugged in the hairdryer in my parents bedroom a few years ago, a boom and a flash later I was on the floor, hairdryer blown and a big black patch on the plug/wall, which still remains to this day!

18. FuzzyOne

FuzzyOne

I first got electrocuted when I was about 8 by trying to prise a plug out with my swiss army knife, you would think you would learn by your mistakes but no last year me and a mate where removing old lighting from a farm building, he told me it was isolated, it wasnt :(

19. 731|\|37

731|\|37 ESD Engineer in Training

wonka you have a very positive finger, I suggest you find a way to exploit that :hehe:

20. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

discharged the caps powering the flyback transformer in my monitor once.. that sucked :p Left it off for a day, open the bugger up and put the screwdriver under the HV cap, I must have had a finger on something touching the 'driver and whooooph, hurt my arm like hell! Be careful kiddies :p