1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Fallout 3 rights purchased by Bethesda...

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 13 Apr 2007.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

2. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Anyone nervous of Bethesda is quite frankly, crazy. Bethesda have been the best name in RPG's in the last 10 years, and if anyone can make a fantastic product it's them.

3. The Bart Man

The Bart Man What's a Dremel?

Hope to see a verry nice game will come out couse I really liked the fallout series
    Have played 1 2 and tactics fore to many houres.
    Tactics is still installed on my pc!!

4. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I'm nervous and with good reason. What made Fallout stand out was its style and goryness, as I said in the article. Most of the famous Bethesda games (read: Elder Scrolls) have become rather bland lately IMO, sacrificing scale for style.

Oblivion was massive and the best thing to happen to RPGs since Planescape: Torment, but I think a mjaority would agree that without the modding community we would have just had a bunch of fetch quests. Beautiful and expansive, but fetch quests just the same.

Fallout and Oblivion are different creatures and even changing from isometric to first person may be to big a shift fo the fanbase.

Mainly, I'm just hoping that they keep the SPECIAL stats system, the perks system was the funniest and most involving thing in Fallout character development system.

5. kye

kye What's a Dremel?

I think they will make it cleaner, no gritty atmopshere, run-of-the-mill rpg with fairy dialog and little violence, too scared to touch on drugs and prositutes, trying to water it down to appeal to every boy and girl.

I dont think they were ever prepared to make a game to follow in fallout. even one step down to make it broadly appealing, they take out the dark bleak atmosphere.

most of this, is because of there past rpg's. i like obivion, but its not hardly anywhere near in depth as baldurs gate series or fallout.

I might be over critial. I think, anything that does not have an isometric fixed view, cant ever be fallout.

Kye.

6. CardJoe

I agree completely. Bethesda will cut out all the prostitutes and drugs etc to make it better. It's funny because even when I played Fallout as a kid that stuff wasn't offensive to me because it was presented so well and appeared to be simply part of the fantasy universe Fallout created. Bethesda may not be able to present it as well and, thus, will either fudge it up or cut it out completely.

I think the best we can hope for is a fairly lame version of Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines in a desert.

7. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I dunno, ES games have skooma dens afterall. I think perhaps those who've only really experienced Oblivion might have an understandable reason for fearing. But imo if something like morrowind is taken into consideration there isn't much to worry about at all. Maybe I just didn't play enough Fallout I guess.

8. CardJoe

I played Morrowind and a whole bunch of other Bethesda games, but even the semi-dark ones don't capture what I'd hope to see in Fallout. Call of Cthulu was maybe close, I guess.

And Skooma Dens? Pfft. It wasn't even nearly close to interesting. A few khajits with stock dialgoue that consisted of "Oh noes, i'm on skooma. Traders won't trade with you unless you drop it on the floor first."

If the slavery stuff in Morrowind and the vampires had been intergrated as better antagonists then I'd see your point.

The important thing to remember is that Fallout wasn't and shouldn't be Sandbox style gameplay. It has to be like Deus Ex - lots of different paths and solutions, not wandering around into random but generic events.

9. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

I just hope they keep the style but give it the same attention to detail and quality of scenery they gave Oblivion.

I always thought that the oblivion engine would be amazing to use for an FPS. FEAR was good but the graphics engine balks when given more than a small area to draw. (as HardOCP found out when the FPS in certain areas dropped to zero even with an 8800GTX during their testing)

Oblivion is much less CPU-dependent, and can draw out the full power of a graphics card. (I was able to get good grass density with max sight distance on an old dell with a 1.6 P4 and a 7600GS on AGP 8x near Anvil)

10. Nature

Nature Minimodder

You rock for liking torment, SUCH a quality game. But you should wait until 70 to get your avatar wings like the rest of us :hehe:

I hope they make it turned based 3-D and continue the whole 50's art themes used in 1&2.

11. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I really hope not, there wasn't really much attention to detail or quality in the scenery in Oblivion.

I do have to say though that the ES games arn't all happy prance around the wilderness games that some people are making them out to be, some of the quests can be quite twisted.

I do hope this doesn't turn out to be a fallout mod for Oblivion, that would suck big time. IMO, Call of Cthulhu's atmosphere was done pretty damn well, I hope they do a good job of Fallout 3.

12. Bluephoenix

by quality of scenery, I meant the attention to making it look resonably realistic, and not as cookie-cutter as most other games end up being.

some duplication is unavoidable unless you want a game directory the size of a windows vista install.

overall I think the scenery was well done, and didn't seem disjointed or unrealistic. (as the bit review said, it doesn't seem as if they tried to cram every conceivable environment into one small area)

13. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Agreed, I'm sure I've done many many far worse things in games, but I don't thinK I ever felt like such a sick b*****d when I went to that little old farmllady for the Dark Brotherhood quest and she thought I was the gifts delivery guy, so gave me a list of where her entire family were.

14. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

Well, you'd have a hard time coming up with a better test of wether bethesda are a broadly talented team or a one-trick pony I think. One way or the other it will definetely be interesting.

15. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

I wonder how much interplay would sell the IP rights for Freespace - now there's a franchise that REALLY deserves another sequel!

16. Bluephoenix

QFT

17. Luukas

Luukas What's a Dremel?

I have to agree. Ideally FO3 should be based on the Fallout Tactics engine. Or Silent Storm, just to please the 3D fanatics. :p

18. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

I missed out on fallout 1 & 2 somehow - should I still pick them up (bit of a 'post apocalyptic' scenario fan, I also like rpgs)? FO3 could be my introduction to the series.

19. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

not a bad rake considering interplay was all but dead

I for one look forward to it, if I can't have my starcraft MMO, a fallout MMO would be the next best thing

20. Axel

Axel What's a Dremel?

I'd prefer interplay.Its an old star rpg,they had great ideas in it,i fear that it might turn into some everyday commercial rpg now.

@awoken
    you've missed a lot of rpg stuff then.the best time's i ever had on a pc are fallout and world of warcraft lately and i'd rate fallout over it.

Tags: Add Tags