1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Ferrari Enzo tribute - 20/12/2007 - *ON HOLD*

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ssR, 12 Mar 2007.

1. ssR

ssR Carbon God

thanks.
    Evenge, i'll quote Bill "mnpctech" regarding the video updates:

The internet is becoming more geared for entertainment (youtube.com) We want to take the hardware review/mod community format to the next level. More intimate ie: streaming video, scheduled webcam, face to face interviews, & tutorials. Not just Stu and myself, but other modders too. We've befriended a lot of amazing talent out there. Think of Modnation as an Artist Coop. Yes, we're gonna sell stuff like shirts, fan grills, etc. We still gotta pay rent. Unlike some of the smaller review sites, we're not gonna bend over for mod trinkets and copycat products from overseas manufacturers. (we're not really interested) ModNation is about Innovators, Fabricators, & Manufacturers working out of their garage.

The idea behind TMN is truly innovative and at least in my opinion it should set a new bar for a supporting and user friendly community.

kylelnsn: like some perople said here, you really should read my comments during the updates. i said i was not going to recreate the actual ferrari but rather make a case that would have some of the real car features. and dont mind the original sketchup designs, i only took the very basic shape and dimensions of my original design and now converting it into something else, hoping it will come out good looking.

2. Bas van der Werff

Bas van der Werff What's a Dremel?

Great video update on a great mod :D would definitly like to see more of them.
    Keep this good work up.

3. TapperSwe

TapperSwe What's a Dremel?

This project is developing really nice i also enjoyd the video worklog.
    Will keep an eye on this one.
    Regards.

Last edited: 9 Apr 2007
  4. ssR

ssR Carbon God

thanks a lot guys :D

I thought I should share the interior design I've been working on with you. Those sketches are very basic and should look much better in reality but this is just so you get a basic idea on what's going to come.

The overview of the interiors. As you can see most of the interiors will be covered, no visible wires, all of which will be routed inside the channel surrounding the mobo cover.

[​IMG]

The round openings on the mobo cover are for 40mm fans to allow some airflow through the mobo. i thought out their location to allow airflow directly over the RAM modules and the NB chipset.

[​IMG]

You can also see the location of the secondary 2x80mm radiator, the pump and the HDD cage. I used Lian Li removable HDD cage for the referance, by now you should know from the updates that I will be going with a custom made cage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The water reservoir will be located under the DVD support in the middle
    [​IMG]

5. itsjustacompaq

itsjustacompaq Minimodder

it looks great man, but judging from previous expeience with you and sketchep, i am prepared for something COMPETELY different! lol, gj, man

6. ssR

ssR Carbon God

Ok guys, its carbon time!

I decided to make the "hood" of the case out of carbon cause i like the looks, even though the actual Ferrari hood is red.

I started by laying down some layers of fiberglass for the thickness eventually adding 2 layers of carbon and finishing it off with a very thin layer of fiberglass for the finish. Here is the hood at the end of the process.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the resin has cured i melted the foam on the other side using Thinner

[​IMG]

After trimming the leftovers and wetsanding the hood with 240grit sandpaper

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally to add depth to the carbon i gave it around 5 thick layers of clearcoat

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More updates will come next week as i will start applying the fiberglass on the entire case

7. Neji

Neji What's a Dremel?

That finish looks fantastic.

8. d3fiant

d3fiant What's a Dremel?

thats putting it mildly!!

Thats a high bar u have set yourself for the rest of the project fella, hope it works out, will be keeping an eye out for updates

9. elbarto241

elbarto241 What's a Dremel?

sweeeeet jebus! tat looks sooooooooooooooo good. never thought carbon fiber could look so good. amazing job

10. dacust

dacust What's a Dremel?

Wow. And you draped those compound curves perfectly while keeoing the pattern lined up. Again, wow.

11. Rd52

Rd52 Minimodder

Damn that hood is looking good, fantastic work. im speechless

12. chase

chase What's a Dremel?

Very nice!
    What do you use to harden the CF and where can I get a hold of it?

Petter

13. ssR

ssR Carbon God

thanks everyone!

chase: i used CIBA 5052 epoxy resin to wet the fabric and for clearcoat i used SIKKENS lacque, the same one i used in my AquaLight project

14. ssR

ssR Carbon God

Yet another update. Been working on the rear cover this week. Since you already know my working methods with foam, i skipper the work stages and here is the finished thing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The exterior sculpting is pretty much done so the next logical step is the part most of you have been waiting for. The fiberglass :D

I started off with the rear part, mostly because i still have some bondo work on the font area:

[​IMG]

The fiberglass strips
    [​IMG]

After 1 layer of fiberglass
    [​IMG]

Finally I applied peelply on the whole thing to give it a clean satin finish.
    [​IMG]

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get the rest of the side intakes fiberglassed

Cya soon ;)

15. derbaum

derbaum What's a Dremel?

uh you definitly know how to catch my attention. real nice work with the carbon. didnt knew that it´s possible to do such beautyful work with positives.

16. dutchcedar

dutchcedar What's a Dremel?

ssR, its cool how you work and great to see you working "outside of the box"... fascinating to watch you create shapes with fiberglass and carbon fiber... certainly gets one to thinking... :hip:

17. ssR

ssR Carbon God

derbaum: thanks. i just figured it would take me less time to use a temporary positive mold and spend an additional 2 hours sanding and clearcoating the final piece than spend around 3-5 hours making a decent female mold and make the same part using vacuum bagging eventually getting the same result. i never quite understood why you made all these molds for your own project, in my eyes you could have done the same thing in much less time, but i guess it came down to personal preference :D

dutchcedar: thanks :D its always great to recieve positive feedback from guys like you. If i remember correctly you also had your share of experience with fiberglass making a housing for that WC radiator. learning new techniques is always fun, i wish i had your knowledge in milling and metalworking.

18. derbaum

derbaum What's a Dremel?

if i look back ..i agree . positives would have been fine for me. but when i started i asked my foreman how to do best. he told me to build the forms in the way i did. cause i was treainee and he foreman i believed and iam glad to see him proved wrong ^^.
    another reason was that i thought of doing more than one case with these molds.

19. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

This is looking relly good..
    I've never relly liked fiberclass because it always look so messy and seemed hard to get the desired shape. But that was before i saw this project... your sculpting and fiberglass work makes me wanna go get some and start practising.

Good luck

/GNU

20. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

Carbon fiber looks cool! :thumb: