1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Idle I5-2500k temps

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kensei79, 9 Mar 2012.

1. Kensei79

Kensei79 What's a Dremel?

Ok so I hope this is the right place as this is my first forum post... I need a little help

I'm trying to build my first pc. I've got the following kit and as I've just powered it up to text it before putting it in the case.

I5-2500k
    MSI P67A-GD53
    Be Quiet Advanced
    2 x 2GB and 1 x 4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 Ram
    Antec 650 true power PSU
    AMB Raedon 6870

Now I've just plugged it all in and got into the bios. My CPU temp was around 64C idle. Too high I knew enough so I took the kit apart again and decided a little more TIM was needed and reconnected the cooler and everything else (one of the screws was off so could have had a not so great fit to the cpu there) and powered it up and I'm still running at a idle CPU temp of 52-54C

This still seems too high.

As Custom PC guide I was going by suggested applying the TIM to the CPU before putting it in its slot I did that. Because I had trouble attaching the cooler there was now I think about it a maybe 3 hour gap between putting the TIM on the CPU and managing to attached the cooler (had to go out :( )

Any suggestions as too why I'm still running at 52-54C? Could it be as simple as the TIM dried out because i didn't attach the cooler quickly enough? The cooler is now attached as tightly as I dare. And its already leaning on the RAM stick in the second slot away from the CPU so not sure i could tighten the fitting of the cooler.

IS 52-54C ok for an idle temp? If not what should I do to fix it?

2. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

What case are you using? Did you remove the protective clear plastic cover from the heatsink base?

3. Kensei79

Yes I did removed the plastic from base of the heatsink, As for the case I've not actually got it in the case yet. The Custom PC build guide I was using as a reference says to test the kit outside the case first and if the temps are over 50C then you've got a problem. So I was really working to that. When I put power though the board its just sitting on the motherboard box with the cooler, graphics card RAM attached.

Interestingly I tried the stock cooler as well after posting this thread and got a idle temp of 54-57C. Thought a Dark Rock Advanced was supposed to be better

4. law99

law99 Custom User Title

You have to remove the plastic cover? News to me. :D

5. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Hmm if the cooler is seated correctly and tightly and you have connected the fan header then I would think that the sensor is faulty.

What happens when you get to Windows and try with something like RealTemp?

That is far too high for idle, my i5 in an FT02 idles at 29-32 and in game it maxes out at 60.

6. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Hey i've been building PC's for over ten years and I missed it once. :D PC was idling at 60c, removed the heatsink, cleared the TIM which came off far too easily. Then I noticed it had a clear sticky plastic cover that fitted the cooler base exactly with no overhang so I hadn't noticed it. :duh: I'm amazed it had not melted.

7. DaveMon

DaveMon The end is nigh! Repent!

My idle temps currently:
    25~30C

My load temps are the same as your idle.
    Max temp in BF3 is 54-55C

8. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Lol. I suppose its bound to happen by accident some time!

9. S1W1

S1W1 Minimodder

Those temperatures are certainly higher than they should be. I built a PC for a friend a few weeks ago with the same CPU and cooler as you- idle temperatures were in the low 30s.

A mistake I made when I built my first PC- what direction is the fan on the BeQuiet! Dark Rock Advanced facing? If it's mounted the wrong way round it will be pulling air away from the exhaust fan and dumping it back into the case. That's quite a common error. The fan on the BQ Dark Rock Advanced pushes (NOT pulls) air through the heat sink, if that makes sense.

However from what you've said, the problem is probably with the RAM- that Vengeance RAM has great big heat spreaders and that will be preventing the HSF from making proper contact with the CPU. You should possibly have bought the low profile Vengeance RAM- it would fit under the heatsink much more easily and offer the same good performance and value as the normal Vengeance.

Before you replace the RAM however, check/do the following:
    -Remount the cooler with fresh thermal paste. You will have to clean the old stuff off the CPU and off the heat sink before you can reinstall it.
    -Make sure the cooler is mounted facing the correct direction.
    -Make sure you have not left the plastic on the bottom of the heatsink- it happens easily.

BTW what case are you using?

Last edited: 9 Mar 2012
  10. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

lulz if you did this op :p thats quite amusing

my 2600k idles at 28 on low case fans, and 26 on high case fans, with an ambient temp of about 18-19 degrees c

idle voltage is 1.064

11. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Try with just one stick of ram in the furthest away slot, should give you room to tighten it up properly.

Also, do bear in mind that if you are checking temps in the bios speedstep won't be working, so you will have much higher temps. I sit at about 40-45 in the bios when using a stock cooler, but drop to 25-30 when in windows.

12. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

With mine clocked to 4.5 on a dark rock sits around 28c in bios usually

13. megadriveguy

megadriveguy Minimodder

Either the volts are crazy high

Or the heatsink isn't fitted properly

It cant be the fan you'd get better temps than that without a fan

14. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Download something like core temp and check the temps in windows. If that reports it as much lower then i suggest flashing your bios.

good luck.

15. Bede

Bede Minimodder

OP's location? If his room temp is 35C because he lives in a desert that could explain things :D

16. Kensei79

Hi all, thanks for the suggestions I seemed to have got it fixed. I had trouble fitting the heatsink to start with due to its sheer size i think. Bought some TIM cleaner and a new TIM. cleaned, re apploied and the BIOS temp was around 42C.

Once I got the pc up and running and installed Core Temp which now has my cores running 28-31C when idle/ broswer and skype running (kinda the same thing i guess)

Now if only I can solve the RAM failure and why AVG and Windows Defender won't run then I'm good