1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Nvidia GeForce GTX 590 3GB Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 24 Mar 2011.

1. Kasius

Kasius Bringin' the dremolition

Ordering my 590 tomorrow, i really cba with buying a new case so as to fit a 6990 :) albeit it would probably end up cheaper doing so..

This is going to be a month of great financial hardship :waah:

2. soviet_

soviet_ Bantros

Because people play Dirt 2? Come on! Black Ops is also a pointless test, it's nowhere near demanding enough. Let's see what this card can really do

Last edited: 24 Mar 2011
  3. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

We've acknowledged it isn't demanding, and don't dispute that, but it's the most read performance page on every GPU review, and is a very popular game online. Give the people what they want etc.

4. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

"This question has been answered so many times. No one plays Crysis [or Metro 2033]"

But Crysis still provides a valid bench for cpu testing ...why?

And I'm still plying Crysis!

5. soviet_

soviet_ Bantros

Really? That is surprising. Fair enough

6. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Good review, poor conclusion. The 6990 is simply a better card, dollar for dollar its cheaper and offers the same or similar levels of performance.

As for the higher score? Com'on Bit-Tech stop jumping around and saying lame things like "oh its a smaller PCB and quieter" yet you make the bold claim that anyone running this card shouldn't worry about heat exhausting into the case because the owner will more than likely have SSDs instead of regular HDDs? Um... derp? If you're going to be so forgiving of nvidia owners, why not the same for ATI? Anyone spending this kind of money is well aware of the PCB size and noise of both contenders.

7. Senilex

Senilex Not a Troll. Honest.

It's not about what YOU perceive that games people play, it's a graphics card review and as such should be using a variety/genre of games that maximize the gpu's power. Not BLOPS, just because it popular. The type of folk who will be purchasing a high end dual card would be well aware that anything newer than a 2 year old card would be enough for BLOPS.

8. Senilex

Senilex Not a Troll. Honest.

And also most people probably like looking at the BLOP results cause they usually give the highest FPS count.

9. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Just in case you missed it as I note they haven't yet been corrected.

10. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

That's not the point though, for the benchmarks to be valid across all of bit's reviews all the games need to be the same. It doesn't matter if a 590 or 6990 can easily play Black Ops, it's the relative performance compared with other cards that matters.

Last edited: 24 Mar 2011
  11. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Holy, they've really underclocked the GPUs to keep temperatures and wattage under control. Those twin 8-pin connectors worry me,though.

12. Kris

Kris Lord Lolwut

I have an idea, how to increase both visitors to your website, and to provide relevant data that interests people.

Why not choose the resolutions 1920x1080 and 2560x1600 only, and do the testing on these. Like i said in your 6990 review, the data from previous tests with the same games is in old reviews, almost no point in retesting cards like 5770 for the 590 review.

And, to top it off, each week release the benchmark results of game X, game Y etc. So every week you would have new benchmarks for just one game at those two resolutions for 6 cards: 6950, 6970, 6990, 570, 580, 590.

that comes down to X x 6 tests per card, or a total of 36 test runs per game(using the method of 3 runs for average testing). Should be doable once per week (in theory, as i have no idea how much actual time this would take :)).

This would give all fans what they want: new games tested each week for new, and perhaps relevant data to go on later down the line. :)

13. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Nice card Nvidia... but, I think ATi has won again!

14. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Well, personally I'd like to see graphically demanding games added to the benchmark list.

If I'm going to shell out £400-600 on a new card I'm obviously going to want to replay through the "showcase" titles in my collection.

You're right, I haven't played crysis for a while, or GTA IV, but I have promised myself to play though them again on buying a new gfx card - "The way it's meant to be played" and all that.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels the same way.

15. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Yet everyone is playing ARMA II.... hang on....

Including ARMA II is fine but the reasons for including it and not Crysis / Metro 2033 are not.

16. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

The to answer the question "Should the question 'but can it play Crysis' question be included in gpu reviews?" ...how about a poll in the forms, running for one week?

17. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

I'm not sure if this has been addressed before, but what happened in the 1920x1080 test for CoD:BO? It performed under the 470???

18. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Yep, if you look, all the dual GPU card's spazz out a bit in Black Ops at 1,920 x 1,080. It's an odd one; we put it down to a game-bug, as it affected all the cards, not just AMD or Nvidia.

19. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

that's quite a bit.. with the money my girl spends on laser treatments for her face- I could have bought me one.. they suckered her in yesterday with get 3 treatments and get the fourth one free! for only 750 bucks

*grumble* but whatever.. what's up with the games benched and who's going to be running these cards at 1680x

20. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

Bit-Tech need to add some extra games to their reviews such as Metro 2033, Crysis 2, Aliens vs Predator & Horace Goes Skiing!

Serious!

Tags: Add Tags