1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress NZXT Lexa -Experimental Modyssey - June 5 - new CCFL, lighting question

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ModMinded, 24 Oct 2008.

1. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

You know what, you're right! I think I actually have a punch, nothing fancy, but something that came with my bit kit! Thanks for the reminder.

2. h3llb3nd4

h3llb3nd4 What's a Dremel?

I have been following this mod since january...forgot when...
    Then I joined just so I can compliment on your work...

3. ModMinded

Thanks h3llb3nd4! I appreciate that and am honored!

4. spenc259

spenc259 in the build stage!!!

Hey MM those leds are looking nice! when drilling i just use the HSS bits. i have found that with the piece well clamed down and a slow speed you can get some good results! mind you i have some flex on the speed as i am drilling manually and the drill is on its lowest setting and i apply just a little pressure on the trigger! it seems to work for me!

5. ModMinded

Thanks for the compliment and the tips Spenc! I think going slowly and lightly is the key, even if you have the 'proper' bits! And using a pilot hole is great too. Check out the next update for more relevant drilling 'bits'.... ahem...

mvagusta likes this.
  6. ModMinded

Feb 18th Update - Plexi and Drilling

Spent some time in the garage recently, and had lotsa fun with my plexi, drill press, an assortment of bits, and my video camera!

First off, I started with a bunch of the plexi pieces I’d made and sanded to 400 and 500. Some had gone to 1000. Using a razor blade to scrape, and a small file and some sandpaper, I cleaned out some of the notches from the pieces bumping into the router bit and getting cut.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These I polished with my buffing wheel attachment.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (the hole-y one has not been sanded or polished recently)

Brought ‘em back upstairs and stuck ‘em in the Lexa
    [​IMG]

I’d taken the Lexa to the cleaners (aka, stuck it outside in the rain, then washed more carefully in a sink with a microfiber cloth) so all the old grit and stuff was cleaned off. I created a little drying room in my alcove (where my only heater is) using my Macguyver Sense and some fabric. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are the options for the HD Bay:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And together:
    [​IMG]

A pile of plexi:
    [​IMG]

I also tried out the fan vibration isolation mounts:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Don’t really like those nubs hanging out there like that.

And now… the videos of various bits and plexi testing!
    (see previous warning… :D )

First… a taste of my hours and hours of sanding:

A little comedy relief… America’s funniest home videos, here I come! (That fat guy on the unicycle going down the steps is gonna win, I can just tell!)

I took the busted piece of wireloom and cut it down for practice earlier. This time I wanted to try the Forstner Bit!
    Pilot hole (HSS bit):

Forstner Bit:

I also tried out the Masonry and a larger Forstner bit, but those will have to wait for Youtube to finish uploading.

EDIT:
    Masonry:

You’ll note that the pilot was done quickly with a HSS, and then 2 different sizes of masonry bits were used. You may have noticed the wobble in the tip and shaft of the last bit. I couldn’t get it to smooth out, so I went ahead and drilled anyways :D I had that happen with the smaller bit, but was able to straighten it out, as you can see.

Forstner Bit – Large

This turned out great! I didn’t apply enough pressure at first, so it wasn’t biting and scraping, but did you see those long continuous sheets?! Plus I ended up with a nice little plexi disk from the edge tips of the bit cutting through the flipped hole.

Pic of the scrap piece’s collected holes:
    [​IMG]
    And the other side, with a drilled Cable Sandwich (that’s what I’m gonna be calling em from now on… I just realized that cable/wire looms are something else (Anyone ever use cableorganizer? (http://cableorganizer.com/wire-loom/)
    [​IMG]

Remind me to show you my new drill press jig I was building. You’ll see the fence part of it in the next video once that’s edited as well. (It’s basically the same as the last, but with a bigger fence and table surface, and no hole for a sanding drum. ;) )

And you remember that I like feedback and tips!
    What do you think… are these videos worth the time spent on making em? By watching and editing this footage, I’ve stretched an hour’s work into 3 or 4 times that!

Last edited: 19 Feb 2009
  7. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

This has really come a long way mate, looking really good.

8. PTModder

PTModder What's a Dremel?

WOW...lots and lots of work... great job mate!

9. ModMinded

Thanks Guys!

10. h3llb3nd4

h3llb3nd4 What's a Dremel?

Going great!

11. SkyLord77

SkyLord77 Use your teeth not a Dremel

You're doing a superb job! :thumb:

I admire your patience with all this plexi. :clap:

12. spenc259

spenc259 in the build stage!!!

nice work on the plex... its always good to see someone else experimenting. i can take you tips and apply them without the trial and error of testing the bits!

13. ModMinded

Thanks for the compliments guys! Hopefully the mod turns out as nice as the experiments!
    @Spenc - yep, that's part of it... resource for you and me! Anything to save time and/or a buck. ;)
    Sounds like you guys are saying the vidz are good and to keep em coming... okie dokie.

14. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I'm impressed! I test software when I'm not retired and I like the attitude of 'let's try this. or that didn't work so how about?'

Plexi can be a very unforgiving medium. When I first started with plexi, I was making protein skimmers for upscale fish tank. I was lucky since most of them were never seen. I like to look at your work.

Oh, and nubs sticking out is really not advisable in the colder months. [​IMG]

john

15. ModMinded

Thanks John! I do helpdesk type work for a living, so the patience and "hmmm... well... let's try this" comes naturally! (or at least is hard won, and deeply ingrained!)

lol @ the nubs... Especially my nubs... there's others I could think of that I wouldn't mind so much. :D

16. jhanlon303

The forum front page says this is for you:

Happy Birthday!

john

17. ModMinded

I made the front page! :lol:
    Thanks John!

18. jhanlon303

19. headala

headala What's a Dremel?

You're still teaching me a lot about working with plexi...thanks! Still looking great. Keep it up!

20. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Any updates mate?