1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Problem with flat

Discussion in 'General' started by specofdust, 20 Nov 2009.

1. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Hi all,

Me and three others rent a flat from a letting agency, and our showers broken down. Now, the problem is, is that the owner of the flat lives on the other side of the world - yet the letting agency say they need permission from him before they can send out an electrician to fix our shower. Is this normal? I thought letting agencies existed precisely so that owners didn't need to worry about stuff breaking etc. because the agency would take care of it.

I've got the Standard Letter, a Scottish legal thing which says I have a right to the sanitation facilities in the house being repaired in a "reasonable time" - but given we have a bath, I suspect that this reasonable time wouldn't be too short. Not that 4 people can reasonably all have baths before leaving for work/uni at 8-9am though.

Anyone else experienced similar?

2. SJH

SJH Minimodder

What does your tenancy agreement say? Also, is the contract between you and the landlord or the letting agency?

3. saspro

saspro IT monkey

It's fairly standard.
    The owner will pay the agent stupidly high fees to manage the property buy they can't do anything without the owner agreeing to cough up.

I used to call the owner direct as it was quicker (and cheaper for them)

4. specofdust

specofdust Banned

The standard letter lists the owner, care of the letting agency. It was signed by the guy who runs the letting agency though. So in all honesty I'm not 100% sure who the contract is between.

I can't exactly call my owner direct, he lives in Australia and I don't have his number, not to mention I'm not awake when he is.

This sucks balls. I don't get the point of the agency even existing if every actual decision has to be taken by the landlord. All they seem to be actually doing here is taking a cut, and forwarding our problems to him, and his responses to us.

5. RTT

RTT #parp

As has been said, it depends who your contract is with - the agency or the landlord, and/or the agreement that they hold. I know that the letting agency I use will send one of their own round regardless of being able to contact the landlord (as it has been necessary in the past). I think the industry lingo is "managed" or "unmanaged" :)

6. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

you might want to have someone else look at that. Just saying.

7. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Might want to have someone look at what?

8. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Electrician for a shower? Sure, why not hire your local mechanic to do the wiring while you are at it? ;)

9. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Lots of showers are electric :p

Unless it's leaking, it's an electrical problem - Most likely.

10. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Sorry, yeah, it's an electric shower. Either the heating element is dead, or the thermostat is wrecked. Either way, it's not a plumbing problem.

11. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Air Cooled Fool

I rent my flat out through a letting agent, it's easier as I'm not there to look after it.

With mine I specified to just carry out minor repairs (<£100) without asking me, less hassle. But I could equally have said to notify me before doing anything that's not essential.

So yes, it is normal. You need to hussle your letting agent to ask him.

12. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I have, of course. But basically they're waiting for him to reply to his emails. I guess I have to hope he's not taken a 2 week holiday away from his computer. Seems really really retarded.