1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL Stupid things we've done without thinking

Discussion in 'General' started by MrWillyWonka, 1 Dec 2008.

1. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Once we had an ice storm, the kind that covers everything in super thick slippery as hell clear ice, and it covered my car pretty well. I didnt have a ice scrapper so I used the bottom of a glass soda bottle (the ones with the little nubs on the bottom) and proceeded to 'scrape' the windshield off. I got a good part done and was thinking to myself that the 'feel' of the scrapping was odd. So I look closer and here the bottle nubs where glass-on-glass scratching the heck out of my windshield. :duh:

I dont have that car anymore. :D

Oh I have another! This is actually my first car, the one from above is my 2nd car. :D

My car was slowly leaking antifreeze over time. Being annoyed with this I bought some of that stop leak crap you pour down the radiator. I had done this and it seemed to work. I was driving home from work one day and my 'idiot gauge' came on for overheating. I pushed the car anyway ( as I was real close to home). As I came off the highway it stalled and died. :duh: This didnt destroy the engine (I thank an oil additve for that). The car later started and worked, but it had issues from that day on. I dont have that car anymore either! :D

I may have more later. :)

2. infered101

infered101 What's a Dremel?

Been a long time since ive posted but this thread brought it out. So, let the list begin.

1. Once while cooking (shocker i know) i did my usual of unscrewing the cap and shaking some spice on the food. Only problem was that McCormick changed there design and instead of unscrewing the cap and having the grate it was a pop cap. It was the spiciest food Ive had in a long time, half a bottle of steak seasoning.

2. I'll make this one short. wasnt paying attention cutting apple thumb holding top in center. Result = 1 week of thumb bleeding and 1/8 of thumb to never return.

3. Was shaving one day my blade seemed dull. So i did the stupid and tested it on my finger. Well the blade wasnt dull enough and took a chunk of the side of my finger.

4. This is recent one from black friday (big us shooping day). Was up at 3am for work went home came back later that day. Someone was saying there laptop did not see a network cable so i tested and confirmed by trying on multiple cables. Only problem was in the mix of the day someone disconected our switch so no network cable was going to work. The network adapter was fine on the laptop, but we already returned it.

5. Easy one, worked at movie theater, picked up ice pail by shitty handle. Walked out handle came lose, ice everywhere. Dumb thing i knew it was going to happen because it does it all the damn time.

6. We were messing with a can of compressed air at work, doing all sorts of things. So i decided, hell why not taste it. DO NOT DO. It reads all over the can saying bitterant added to deter people from tasting. I couldn't get the taste out of my mouth.

3. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I did something really stupid this weekend.
    The paintball pitch where i normally play has done some rearrangements. In an attempt to "scud" (i.e. suicide-run at a position in the assumption that you can eliminate the other team's key player there, even if it costs your team a player), i run down an unfamiliar field. This is where i should add that fields here are NOT fancy lawn. You're talking rocks, occasional bits of broken glass, etc. SO i hurl down the field, shooting at the other player, by that time 80* and steeper to my left. I didn't see a ditch in the ground that was left behind by a bunker that was taken out earlier that day. Safe to say that i now look like i had a fight with a knife murderer and that i feel like someone assaulted me with a baseball bat... *dumbass*

4. Doc

Doc oops.

A few...

- Decided at age 6 that the best way to fix an electrical cord that ripped out of it's plug was to jam the wire back in and plug it back into the wall. Folks didn't appreciate the white wall plate with the giant black crater right smack in the middle. I still appreciate the not having died thing.

- Drilled between two fingers while doing a tech site project. Probably shouldn't have been watching Mean Machine while using power tools.

- Started the wrong burner on the stove (that just happened to have the coffee maker sitting on it). It made crappy coffee anyway.

- Went along to see Cloverfield in the theatre. Should have just punched myself in the balls instead.

5. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Did exactly the same thing, was reading during lunch and time must've passed 'cuz then spent next hour sitting outside school wondering how everyone got away without me noticing. Never occurred to me to go look in one of the classrooms, obviously... :duh:

6. dr-strangelove

dr-strangelove What's a Dremel?

Not sure if this counts as a single thing but I tripped up in the same pothole going to and coming back from school

even when my friend warned me that we were approaching it

every day for almost a year...

:duh:

7. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Cloverfield? I guess you haven't seen the Clooney Solaris. There's no self-inflicted injury smiley but if there was I'd be using lines of 'em.

8. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

I blew an led last night :waah: It was just a cheap 5mm one, but i felt sooo dumb because i thought i was using the lead from my psu which i had set to the correct voltage, but no, i hooked it up to the 5v output... it was really bright for a second, then went fizzle fizzle burn :eeek: :waah:

9. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Done tht before, but with a normal soldering iron, several times.

I built a taser for a friend of mine, made it to work on a 9V lantern battery. When I finished it I found that I did not have a 9V lantern battery on hand, I did however have a spare PSU lying around. So I hooked up the 12V line and got it working, sparks were arcing a centermeter or two. Of course I had to test that it would work as a taser so i put my finger in it. Whole arm went numb for half an hour and I couldn't move it for several minutes. Very painful and got two burn marks. At least it works :)

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

ROFLMAO

Winner, right here :clap:

11. BigD79

BigD79 Gadding about...

I shat in a bath tub last week. :worried:

Had been on a heavy night out, next morning, after the GF and her sis had been in the bathroom (in the Planet Hollywood in Vegas) getting ready i went in and only noticed "it" reaching for towels for the shower. No recollection what so ever of doing it. But remember the rest of the night, just.
    A Las Vegas legend is born! :rock:

12. gar

gar Minimodder

Nearly poured out a mug of alpen out this morning.

13. KoenVdd

KoenVdd What's a Dremel?

Eww... Just eww :eyebrow:

Anyway another one of me. A few years ago I was playing around with a lighter holding the flame to things which I judged weren't instantly flammable. Also held it in a waste basket, but living with 3 sisters there was a whole bunch of hair on top. The hair caught fire quickly and I easy get startled and confused in panic situations. Ran to the bath room to fill a cup but not to much as I didn't want to leave a puddle of evidence of my stupidity behind. The fire of course grew faster than I could put out. Thank god the fire alarm went of and dad checked to see if everything was OK. Halve confused I mumbled something of a fire in an understatement kind of way (not intetional, my verbal abilities just shut down). He put the fire out by putting it in the tub. They decided not to punish me as they saw the shock had already done that enough. Despite still being a bit of a pyro (hudahudahuh:D:rock:) I've been afraid of large fires ever since.

14. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Large fires are no fun. Smaller ones you can have more fun with.

Story, A friend of mine (Who is on these forums) and I were being pyros and I had some left over fireworks, so we were playing with them, firing them to try and set a pot of meths on fire, we decided to shove one in the side of the little hill, lit it and it fired twice, quite fun, but the third one never came. We waited a minute and decided it was a dud so went down to have some more fun. On the way down it fired again and nearly hit my mate, hilarious.

15. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

Friend of mine lit a roman candle (with report), fired 6 times and stopped, thinking it was over, he pointed it downwards and i came forward to get the lighter from him, he scratched his nose, which pointed the roman candle towards me, and suddenly one more shot burst out, hit me flat in the chest and exploded.

16. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Sounds fun, what were you wearing? Something thick I hope.

17. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

Man, I love this thread... Lols galore.
    I do a lot of stupid things, but nothing big sticking out in my mind.
    Let's see what I can drum up:
    -stuck a hairpin in an electrical socket when very young. sparks everywhere and I thought I could just pull it out again. Luckily my parents were there by that time to help me learn about electricity!
    Half awake moments abound...
    I've shampooed with shaving cream... tried to shave with my toothbrush.
    oh yeah, once in college I karate chopped a plate in half... I don't know karate, but I was playing a lot of mortal kombat those days, and enjoy the hell out of kungfu movies... still have a little scar on my little finger.
    Oh yeah, since we all love those painful life lessons:
    1) Don't spray cologne on your privates (Tried that in jr high -age 12-13ish)
    2) rubbed some BenGay on some sore muscles, then took a pee... (don't know if you know what that is, but it's also known as icyhot.) It's kinda like the oral sex after eating chili, without the fun parts....

18. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

I did that too, in high school! And my friend was riding the bus with me and didn't mention a thing! ....

19. twentynine

twentynine Can never win...

Ah. They aren't that bad, just as long as your skin is covered you won't get hurt. But this reminds me of a story one of my friends did.

One night we were out messing around on the 4th of July with loads of fireworks. A couple of my friends had never really messed with fireworks so we were showing them how to make bombs and all that stuff. You know, stuff you shouldn't do. Haha.

Well my friend picks up a rocket. You know, a firework on a stick which you light and then let go and watch fly off into the air...well, my friend didn't let it go. He lit it, held it the entire time the rocket fired and proceeded to watch it blowup not a foot from his hand on the end of the stick.

The whole time we're screaming for him to let it go, but he just held on and watched sparks and fire rain down on his hand. He was ok except for the now nonexistent hair on his hand/arm.

20. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

i once tried to scoop up a pile of dirt with an excavator, not thinking about the concrete curb beneath the pile that we had poured only the day before. took out about a 1ft chuck. the boss wasn't too pleased.