1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete ⭐ The Iron Turnip--6-2019-complete. final pictures on page 29

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cheapskate, 18 Jul 2014.

1. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Fantastic updates, love the comments.

TribalOverkil, now there is a name I have not heard in a while, not since my days at GruntvillE.

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Yeah, He took the house/wife/job route and was never heard from again.:(

I'm glad you approve.:D

3. Deblow

Deblow Minimodder

wow, some fine skilled work going on in this build
    Looks great!

4. Cheapskate

Thanks.:D Have sum'more, because it's burning up my clipboard.
    [​IMG]
    -It rained for a whole week. I got stuff done. -random stuff. Here, I cleaned up a cut faucet neck. The plan is to flip the head and re solder, then shave it down so it tapers into the case body.
    [​IMG]
    -Gotta get rid of that shiny finish somehow...
    [​IMG]
    -I determined the fastest way to get the frame to fit was to shorten this mounting arm. The hard part was getting this out of the jig.
    [​IMG]
    -I lost a little more than 1/8".
    [​IMG]
    -I made a cut for the reservoir in the back panel.
    [​IMG]
    -I have a case of card stock to burn through. Some helped me work out where to drill the mount holes for the back panel
    [​IMG]
    -OK, I needed to make a cover for the back of my modified electrical plug. I'm still in zero-budget mode, and decided to re-visit my pyro period. Growing up, my army men had dinosaur heads, and the dinosaurs had bazookas. Some people sculpt with fancy modeling puttys. I use model trees and FIRE.
    -Outdoors, of course. The fumes are toxic and ABS makes black soot that can float around all day.
    [​IMG]
    -The first stage looks like a slightly charred poo. The sticks in the back are just laying against the PVC sleeve. Later, I can hit the loose bits with solvent to fuse them without damaging the insulation.
    (Remember kids, The Cheapskate way is never recommended, or safe.;))
    [​IMG]
    -Once I get it built up, I can sand it into a less offensive shape. Later, I'll fill in the bumps and smooth it out.
    [​IMG]
    -Back on track: I'm running out of room for plumbing. At least it's starting to look like a computer.
    The Gigabyte GPU might get slightly slimmer if I can waterblock it.
    [​IMG]
    -The thing I need to make this sturdy. The problem is, that's also the best place to put the power outlet.
    [​IMG]
    -The solution: Take a blurry picture.
    [​IMG]
    -D:
    Hey! Outlet AND mounting holes. That'll work.

Thanks again to my sponsors:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 12 Jul 2017
  5. Stallion

Stallion What's a Dremel?

I wouldn't call it the cheapskate way more like recycling lol ;)

6. Craig_T

Craig_T What's a Dremel?

Still following this, love where it is going

7. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Well that's a new take on kitbashing, using the bits left over. Great work.

8. Impeccable Logic

Impeccable Logic What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]
    "-Once I get it built up, I can sand it into a less offensive shape. Later, I'll fill in the bumps and smooth it out."

I need to fill an uneven plastic surface similar to this. What would you recommend?

Fun and entertaining build!

9. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Loving all the hard work and skill into the scratch mods you do :thumb:

10. Cheapskate

Thanks, everyone.:D

@Dr. Coin - Pretty sure the Borg cube was half model tree, so I'm not the first.

@Impeccable Logic- In my case I will mash more burning plastic in the holes. If you are talking about ABS plastic, There's model kit putty that comes in a tube just for that purpose.
    I can't recommend auto body filler because I'm pretty sure bondo is harder than ABS, and might melt it too.

11. Impeccable Logic

Impeccable Logic What's a Dremel?

It is a 3D plastic print (PLA)_that went bad. I will look for some putty. Thanks for the suggestion.

12. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

You can make abs sludge with some acetone and use it like filler putty. When the acetone flashes off you get solid abs! Only slightly healthier than the burn it with fire method!

13. Cheapskate

@Barry - Slightly less healthier, you mean.:lol: At least with the melt method I can take my mask off after a few minutes.

@Impeccable - I have zero experience with PLA, but it seems like you should be able to heat fuse and smooth with a letter opener like me. I'd avoid an open flame, though. I bet a thin printer filament would burn like a fast fuse.

14. noobas4urus

noobas4urus What's a Dremel?

Now I want dinosaurs with bazookas. Ingenious as always.

15. Cheapskate

[​IMG]
    -No clue what i'm thinkin'. That's 6 parts to mill each leg, and I haven't worked out the spring pivot yet. I don't get the wacky free-floating effect on the springs this way either. :(

16. Cheapskate

Progress has been slow. It's that time of year in the Piney Woods where thick yellow clouds poison your nose and make you sneeze blood. To make matters worse, everyone hires **** armies of chuckleheads with leaf blowers to knock the settled deposits back into the air. Yesterday I swept my curb and collected two full trashcans of pine tree sex remnants.
    [​IMG]
    -I cut this thing and promptly lost track of it. I guess I'll leave the description for later. -Did I mention sinus infections play hell with your brains? -Yeah.
    [​IMG]
    -40weight mill pee - um, I mean I cut the hole for the power outlet.
    [​IMG]
    -Here it is with the outlet and the bracket with a matching cut. After some manual drilling magic, I had a complete frame.
    ...Wonder if I have a pic of that?
    [​IMG]
    -Anyone remember ghetto pump? No? GOOD! I want some fins, so I thought you'd enjoy me gutting it.
    [​IMG]
    -:lol: Model tree spacers. Look at all that corrosion.
    [​IMG]
    -Bits of hose for grommets, and a plexiglas baffle. If the people who got my old van ever did anything with the engine, they would have found similar magic.
    [​IMG]
    -Unspeakable things were done in the garage torture station. I'll leave it at that for now.
    [​IMG]
    -This is my super high-tech jig for marking the back of the tank where it needed trimmed. ...and no pics of that? *sneeze*
    [​IMG]
    -I needed a tiny hole to pass some wires through, so I cut a huge one instead. I'll have to compensate and use a big connector on the wires.
    [​IMG]
    -I've made a terrible color choice again. The color filter I made for the Swiftech Apogee XL is a layer of dark blue on dark purple plexi. The UV filters in digital cameras drop purple, so you don't get to see the awesome indigo mix.
    -I'm kinda shocked I got the dimensions of the light filter plate right.
    [​IMG]
    -It's not blue you stupid camera!!
    [​IMG]
    -I'm thinking of using this cut for the fanguard. The hole pattern isn't symmetrical.
    [​IMG]
    -USPS: If it doesn't fit in the mailbox, we MAKE it fit!
    [​IMG]
    -You really shouldn't give me a place for shipping instructions.
    [​IMG]
    -Oh, Crap! and I ordered on a Friday! What's the world record for holding your breath?
    [​IMG]
    -I ordered a bunch of Bitspower C89 fittings. The 16mm hole is a nice fit for US standard 1/2" ID copper pipe. Here's a test fit on the Swiftech pump. -Gotta do something about that warranty sticker.:lol:
    [​IMG]
    -There's still a big obstacle before I can get to plumbing and deco: That nonexistent waterblock for the Gigabyte R927. I'm not sure what to do with that little heatsink. It's really stuck on there. I fear removing might take some components with it. :( Since I'm in such a nice fuzzy mental state, I decided to do the measurements and stuff.
    [​IMG]
    -I checked my existing stock, and I have a nice 4 by almost 4 bit of copper, but it's 1/8" thick. I've never seen someone make a base that thin, I hope I can get surface area and the chip/memory height difference in such a tiny plate. The only other option would be to silver solder some-HOLY S-crud I HAVE A COPPERHEATSINK SOMEWHERE! OK! This is doable.:D

I also dug out some salvage plexi. This is a 1" thick picture frame block I found in a foreclosure. I gotta remove the little magnets somehow, and mill off that laser etch, but it's a nice brick I plan to make even brickier. -Is that a word? *sneeze*

Thanks again to my sponsors:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. amagriva

amagriva Minimodder

Gave you a five star to counter the star troll! Only the "charred poo" was worth ten stars but five is max...

18. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

Cheaps,your rat rigs never fail to make me smile man....

19. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:hehe:

Good progress. :)

20. Cheapskate

Thanks!:D
    @amagriva - Got stuck on a silly comment, saw my stars, did the math. :lol:
    @B-neg - Squirrel rig sounds better.
    @Waynio - And on that day he did confuse and confound them. I hope it brightened their day in the dungeon a bit. They have trees there too.