1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News UK preps 'hacking tools' ban

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 4 Jan 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. DLoney

DLoney What's a Dremel?

“If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy of which we know little.”
    -James Madison

:eyebrow:

3. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

This is really stupid! In no case should a type of software be illegal, the use of the software to do something illegal is what they should be cracking down on. There are so many legitimate uses for software such as MITM and network sniffing utilities.

Next they'll be trying to make bittorrent software illegal because it can be used to distribute pirated software/games/videos.

4. n3mo

n3mo What's a Dremel?

This is just stupid. Why don't make kitchen knives illegal? They can be used to kill someone. Heck, water should be illegal, too. Not to mention cars.

This is exactly what happens when decisions are made by people that don't have a clue about what they are talking about.

5. naokaji

naokaji whatever

if water woudnt have existed hitler coudnt have survived...

its what people do that should decide if its something good or not... not what they had access to or what possibilities exist...

6. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

I hope that this doesn't mean for IT security companies, my mate works for one and they use these tools all the time for ethical hacking to maintain system security for big names. If these people can't use these tools then i'm saying bye bye to online banking/shopping/etc....

7. Glider

Glider /dev/null

W T F . . .

8. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

Time to educate the PM methinks. Is there anyone (who knows exactly what this proposal will do to the security industry) who is willing to start a petition on the No.10 website? It may not achieve anything, but if we explain the benefit of this software in the petition, then someone may get a clue and stop this proposal being put forward.

I know nothing of this software, so I wouldn't be able to "educate" them effectively.

Andy

9. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Good thing I already downloaded wireshark and all the portscanners a man could want xD

Also: sigh :(

10. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

My thoughts exactly, also is itunes next? As that can rip cd's to mp3 for your own use which the RIAA claims is illegal, and oh hang on windows media player also could do this too, so does that means windows would have to be banned too (which some of you may think "can only hope" hehe) ?! (slightly off topic, but same principle)

Without the use of some of these network packet sniffing tools id be at a loss, trying to find out which device is dropping packets left right and center, finding which machines are showing on the network, figuring out why the hell im not getting internet via my new wireless router at home when any networking from end to end works fine (passing though the internet router).
    Then of cause the more imoprtant reason of being able to see where one has secuirty flaws and being able to fix/secure them!!

Some of us rely on these tools to do our jobs, pffft. Sounds like the whole Germany fiasco with regards to hacking tools all over again.

11. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I don't honestly know why everyone is so surprised; this "Labour" Government are absolutely brilliant at coming up with knee-jerk ill-thought-out legislation to patch a perceived hole their badly-informed advisers have recommended is forced through.

12. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i hope someone inserts some sense into their heads.... with a spiked club..... covered with a condom so it is safe penetration.....

13. Pheonix91

Pheonix91 What's a Dremel?

Haha I concur, this is more proof that the UK is run by a bunch of idiots.

14. naokaji

naokaji whatever

they prolly got a randomizer running if they slap extra taxes on something or ban it....

15. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

i feel sorry for anyone who has/will have BackTrack Linux 3.

16. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

What a joke.

"guns don't kill people, people kill people".

Same with these tools.
    Of course they can be used for malicious acts, that's why network admins NEED to use them too in order to secure their networks from such attacks.
    The malicious hackers are already breaking the law (intentionally) by gaining unauthorised entry to a network.
    Does the govt really think that this extra legislation is going to make any difference at all (other than make network secuity much harder to accomplish)?

17. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

This kind of legislation is not going to effect the hackers in any way shape or form, they will continue to use these tools, if they dont care about breaking and entering into someones network or pc, then im fairly sure that could not give a rats about a bit of software, if sites stop hosting these files publicly, then there just end up on underground sites and being traded underground, and those law abiding sys admins will get struck hard as they can no longer do there job with ease, waiting for an attack to take place before they can fix it.

Surely prevention is better than cure :duh:.

18. gnidnu

gnidnu Beware of the Tofu!

We already had the same discussion here in Germany. Unfortunately, the "anti-hacking" law was introduced. Now we face the problems that are yet just discussed here, especially as the law is not precise.

19. tech3312

tech3312 Where's my dremel o.0

WHy not they ban soldering iron, and all those hobbyist uses those are called hacking tools cause they can make things to hack

20. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Worst part of this is, the very nature of the dark underside of the internet is asking for the files offered to be trojaned to buggery. So when the sys-admins do finally decide the law is just too stupid to adhere to and go hunting for the tools to allow them to do their jobs, they get stung by the very act of trying to find the apps that have been forced underground.

I see the same thing happening on a lot of the PCs I have to fix.
    Average Joes/Janes have gotten peeved at the cost of CDs/DVDs, or given up trying to make them work right on their MP3 players/HDTVs and decided to go looking online to download them.
    And there are the malicious peeps waiting with open arms with sites offering 'Free this and free that' which are all just virus and hijacking trojans.
    Then bang, one seriously slow machine riddled with all the shite of the day. :(

Tags: Add Tags