1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

After a year and half of being masked up and physically distanced from each other, I think everyone (myself included) is now going through the process of getting floored by the common cold - never felt this bad before (multiple Covid tests came back as negative). Just goes to show that masks and social distancing did work.

2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

If you think you have a cold, get a PCR test - a lateral flow test isn't good enough! (Not saying you guys didn't do that @yodasarmpit and @Vault-Tec, this is more of a general plea than bashing you specifically!)

It feels like there's very little in the way of organised public information campaigns about this, but the symptoms of Delta variant are different to the variant that was originally prevalent. You still need to look out for those earlier symptoms - high temperature, new continuous cough, loss or change in sense of taste or smell - but in vaccinated people the Delta variant often feels like a cold.

3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Learning this:-

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yeah for sure. I heard there's a super cold going around now. Ho hum. Feel like crap again today, but certainly 100% better than I did before Sunday.

Still happy though !. Last week I met the machine that gives me all of my BMX stickers :D

[​IMG]

Wish I had - 1. The money. 2. The room :D

5. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

My wife has caught a cold, not severe though. So far it doesn't seem to have affected me :worried:

6. Vault-Tec

Woke up feeling like I had something stuck in my throat last night. Well, about 6am. Hocked on it and it turns out it was my uvula. It was about the size of my pinky finger. I could literally hock it out onto my tongue eww. It's still very swollen. Scary, feels like you could choke on it. Been drinking lots (which helps, I've had this before) but that means lots of peeing too ! ffs.

Any way, life still continues to be awesome. I asked my machining buddy to make me some peg inserts. These go inside PETG sleeves that you then stand on, grind on, and replace when they are knackered (the outer bits).

[​IMG]

"I didn't want it getting dented, so I machined the plastic shell on the lathe and printed the ends". Nutter, lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Get yourself PCR tests!

8. Vault-Tec

Not Covid. Just did the RAT test. Must be that super cold or a touch of the flu, as my GP says I can not have the flu jab any more because too many people want it. Nice ffs. So I will just get depressed to the point of suicide and end up in A&E if I get it any way /roll eyes.

That said I pretty much knew it wasn't Covid. I had that last Jan and it is nothing like this. I just felt super, duper strange and spaced out with Covid. And no taste or smell, which was really strange. Then it went to my chest for three days bad, then it was gone. This? typical crappy cold. So I will still stay well clear of mum (isolating atm).

9. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

The symptoms for the Delta variant are different than the variant that was prevalent at the start of last year, and if you're fully vaccinated it will feel like a cold. If you have symptoms then the rapid lateral flow tests aren't good enough, you need to get the full "send it off to a lab" PCR test.

10. Vault-Tec

Well I've pretty much been isolating for 8 days now. Reckon by the weekend I should be able to get up the stairs to home.

11. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Just curious where you are getting this information from?

12. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

FTFY

Also, the lateral flow test is never as reliable as the PCR test.

13. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

7 days until I'm finally free of my ****ing awful job.

i think i'll burnout of the parking lot making sure to leave a middle finger in tyre marks as i do

Pete J, Byron C, IanW and 1 other person like this.
  14. Vault-Tec

Covid did not make me feel particularly ill. Just very, very strange (go on, insert joke here :D ) Well, apart from the last three days where it went to my chest a bit. This hasn't really, and I feel like I have a cold.

15. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

TL;DR:
    • Delta variant symptoms are different than the symptoms we saw last year.
    • If you've had the jabs and you feel like you've got a cold it could be COVID-19.
    • Feeling like you have a cold doesn't automatically mean it is COVID-19, but everyone in your household needs to self-isolate until you get better.
    • The only way to know either way, with a reasonable degree of certainty, is to get a PCR test.

From what's being reported in the COVID Symptom Study. Quoted directly from the website:

There are plenty of secondary sources that have reported on it, but the primary source is the COVID Symptom Study:

As for the lateral flow vs PCR test... @Mr_Mistoffelees is bang on:

See https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/25/covid-19-how-accurate-are-lateral-flow-tests - particularly this quote:

The lateral flow tests can identify whether you may be infected but they're more effective in those who are symptomatic. PCR tests are more accurate than lateral flow tests because of how the test works and what the test looks for. They're not infallible - there are still false negatives and false positives - but overall you're far more likely to get a true positive or true negative result from a PCR test.

You really didn't, I'm afraid.

Like I said at the start, if you have COVID-19 then it's highly likely that it'll feel like a cold because those are the symptoms being reported in people who have COVID-19. That doesn't mean that if you have cold symptoms then you definitely 100% have COVID-19. It means that you might not have a cold, you might actually have COVID-19 and without a test you have absolutely no way of knowing either way.

Cold-like symptoms are not the only symptoms of the Delta variant, but they absolutely are the most common.

Isitari likes this.
  16. Vault-Tec

https://www.bupa.co.uk/newsroom/ourviews/delta-variant-symptoms

• a high temperature
    • a persistent cough
    • a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste
    Noting the latter. As an Aspie, who gags if he is within a half mile of a piece of dog poo it was the latter that really hit me when I had it last year. Without my sense of smell and taste I am lost. I haven't once felt very hot, haven't lost any senses (that is what I meant when I said I felt strange...) and so on. I rely on my hearing, taste and smell for pretty much everything. That is the first time I have ever lost the taste and smell. Like I said when I reported it here ages ago, I recall my mother trying to cheer me up by asking what I was having for dinner and me grumpily replying "What's it effing matter, won't taste it any way".

Even when my nose was totally clogged and my mouth dried out I could still smell everything fine. Like my brain which I have had to learn well (I would be dead otherwise) I also know my body very well. If this was Covid? then I would be amazed. I was already showing symptoms of what I had last Monday. Was getting stomach cramps and etc. I thought I might have had Norovirus? (yes, just checked) because that is the first time I've thrown up in about 15 years. From Weds I had cold symptoms, though.

Feel quite a bit better today. I always feel better for two days when I have anything, then feel worse, then get better any way. Hopefully by Monday next I can go home.

17. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

@Vault-Tec... Dude... Seriously... I don't know if you just didn't read that link or my post properly or what, but that site exactly backs up what I just said. I am not saying you have COVID-19, I said that the most common symptoms of the delta variant of COVID-19 are similar to a cold. That is also what that Bupa link says.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I literally don't know how I can make this any clearer.

I'm done with this.

People can believe or think whatever the hell they want because it won't change the evidence.

18. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

People have been doing just that since the beginning of this pandemic. Maybe since the beginning of time.

Back to topic, though: bought pizza for dinner yesterday at a tiny pizza restaurant/delivery place in the middle of nowhere in the Czech Republic. Best pizza I've ever had maybe. Great fresh ingredients, divine dough, made in a proper wood-fired oven.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

A well made high quality pizza made cooked in a wood fired oven is always life improving.
    That looks even better than the one I had last week in a friend's garden.
    He's a chef and pier up an end of season bargain pizza oven a few years ago.
    It's a real treat to go over there for a pizza evening :D

Vault-Tec and perplekks45 like this.
  20. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

You sods have made me want pizza for dinner now.