1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

last day of my shitty job.

stephen0205, Pete J, IanW and 3 others like this.
  2. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Huzzah! Good luck with your PCSO selection.

3. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

cheers man, i just gotta focus on getting back in shape, 18 months of covid have turned me into a pork pie.

Weekly_Estimate and stephen0205 like this.
  4. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

This very nearly had to go in the other thread but, my relief at how it turned out, sees it in this one.

Had a new 500GB NVME m2 SSD delivered yesterday, to use for secondary storage. This morning I fitted it...

Removed the retaining screw from the first hole for short drives, slotted the SSD in, pushed it down and started to tighten the screw. At this point there was a small cracking noise and I noticed it was starting to bend. Got it out quick and, only then noticed the little stand-off the screw goes into, D'oh! :duh: Looked at the SSD and it seemed OK, so proceeded to install it properly!

Once the PC was booted, I opened disk management and there it was, just needing initialisation and formatting. That done it appeared in Explorer and I was able to copy files to it, pretty quick it was too and all seems well.

Seems I had a very lucky near miss.:grin:

EDIT: Have just run Crystal Disk Mark and Atto (with verify data on), all still seems well.

Last edited: 24 Oct 2021
    IanW and Weekly_Estimate like this.
  5. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Been on fluoxetine a little over 2 weeks now and I can not believe the difference they've made. I have actually experienced happiness and joy from silly little things, no longer going into fits of rage when the tiniest thing goes wrong or I can't find something. Did a couple of DIY over the weekend and cocked up cuts a couple of times, chiselled the end clean off a piece and just laughed it off. Left it a while came back, found a new solution. Not exactly precision engineering stuff, very rough and ready, but fun little projects sorting out the office and giving Lauren a place to study for her detectives.

I don't know why I didn't do this sooner.

6. Midlight

Midlight Minimodder

Had a narrow miss.
    This weekend just gone my youngest had been invited to a party (for everyone in his school class as an attempt to make up for lack of birthday parties in the last year) but, couldn't go because the wife and I were at a wedding.
    This morning one of the mothers has posted into the class whatsapp group that her daughter has tested positive for covid. The daughter got tested (PCR) on Friday after her brother got a positive test on Thursday. The results came back Saturday morning, positive, so the mother decided to do a lateral flow test on her. This came back negative so she went to the party.
    The message this morning was presented as a 'just so you know...not a big issue'. There are two nurses in the group, with children who went to the party. It's gone nuclear in that group. There is going to be about 5 children going back to school after half term, with everyone else having to isolate after the party.
    Some people are just idiots.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I... so... she had a PCR test, which is the most accurate test we've got access to at the moment, and it came back positive, meaning you-almost-definitely-have-COVID... but she didn't like that answer, so she used an LFD, which is the cheapest and quickest test we've got access to at the moment, and it came back negative, meaning from my understanding of the specificity of that test you-have-a-50-50-chance-of-having-COVID-or-not... and then sent her kid to the party?

Christ on a cracker. We're doomed.

MLyons likes this.
  8. Midlight

Midlight Minimodder

That is about the long and the short of it. Yes.

9. Mr_Mistoffelees

I think you are being unduly generous with that assessment.

MLyons and perplekks45 like this.
  10. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

From speaking to a guy in pharma R&D (not directly working on Covid, but having a lot more access to information than us), the LFD is actually way below 50% accuracy. Maybe even closer to hopefully-30-percent.

11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

My figures may well be out of date: last I recall, I'd seen a bit over 50 per cent for a negative result under ideal conditions (i.e. a trained operator) and under 50 per cent for real-world conditions (i.e. idiots like me and thee who've just received a box in the post and been told "good luck.")

A positive LFD, though, is a pretty good indicator you've got it. A positive PCR is basically "either you've got it or you should pop out and buy a lottery ticket."

Judging by a quick search of my history, that's based on this: 99.9 per cent specificity, meaning a positive LFD result is 99.9 per cent likely to be a real positive. This agrees, but lowers the bottom end of the specificity to 92.4 per cent - which is still a pretty good figure. Sensitivity, though? Yeah, that's terrible: 37.7 per cent at the lower end, meaning a negative LFD is almost completely useless as a sign that you're good to, I dunno, attend a kids' party.

perplekks45 likes this.
  12. Mr_Mistoffelees

My understanding of the most recent "official" advice, is that if you think you may have Covid and, take an LFD test, if it gives a positive result assume you are infected, if it gives a negative, also assume you are infected, isolate and, order a PCR test to check.

The idiot above is just ignorant and selfish.

perplekks45 likes this.
  13. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

...or gets their (mis)information from Farcebook...

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  14. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

To be honest, this sounds more like aggressively-stupid than innocently-misinformed.

15. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Getting your information from Facebook and being aggressively stupid are not mutually exclusive.

16. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Damn this laptop is fricking awesome.

Just got off a 2 hour D2 session and for the most part was running at 100+ FPS at 3440x1440 max settings. The only times it was lower was in the Tower (hub area for anyone that hasn't played the game) and Trostland (still to this day a horrifically unoptimized area of the game).

No idea if undervolting actually did anything but clock speeds were in the 1530-1775(!) region with power being the main limiting factor with it bouncing along at just over 142w. Now its on a cooling pad it screams less as well. :hehe::hehe:

Now I need to try some overclocking to see if I can squeeze any more out of it. Not going to be matching desktop 3070 performance (lacking 728 CUDA cores as a start), but it is getting right around 3060Ti performance as it stands (a tad slower but not noticeable in game) so not too shabby at all!

Also in a completely pointless comparison, my wife's RX 6800 matches (roughly) the same raw framerate in game albeit at 4K.

The_Crapman likes this.
  17. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

18. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

a month ago i found an unclaimed tax repayment that got memory holed in the "draw of many things" back when I was working at Crytek in 2013, decided to call HMRC and explain the situation and was told that If i mail it in with a letter explaining i should get a new cheque in 36 weeks.

money is money and im not turning my nose up at a good couple of hundred quid.

Isitari, Pete J and IanW like this.
  19. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

TIL that later today, Hasbro will be launching a matching proton pack to go with last year's full size, cosplayer-grade neutrona wand.

Here's Adam Savage geeking out over the wand:-

20. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Had a run of bad luck. Hoping that I have had my three now. Actually no, make it 4 ffs.

1. Went on holiday got sick, spent over half of it snotting and coughing in a caravan.
    2. Got home, got a bill I swore I had paid. Had to pay it.
    3. Dead hard drive, though I didn't lose a scrap. Drive read perfectly in a external box.
    4. Went to a restaurant on Saturday to celebrate mum's 75th (and her twin's). Had a wonderful time, until I had to do the "I need a pee" shimmy. Didn't see the bolt on the door, ripped the ass out of a pair of £70 bottoms. However, they have paid for them so there's that, but I am still absolutely gutted. Just praying I can still get another set in the same size.

Hopefully I've paid my dues and the Razer monitor will arrive working lol. It's coming DPD, so it's got a fighting chance.

Wrong thread derpa derp.