1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deviate's Project Log

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Deviate, 22 Jun 2003.

1. Conrad

Conrad What's a Dremel?

first of me seeing this mod and damn its smart ;) your definately dedicated, as cutting out all those flames would be a right pain. :cooldude:

2. diskreet

diskreet What's a Dremel?

sounds good, cant wait to see it!

3. diskreet

sounds good, cant wait to see it!

4. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

Conrad...glad ya found it then bud! :D Dedicated....sometimes I wonder if it's not borderline obsessed.

Okay...here are some pictures of the floor I made to cover the wires. Here is a shot of the bottom:
    [​IMG]
    Basically, what I did was take an extra piece of acrylic that I had already tinted, and I cut it to size. Then I cut 3 slits at one end and a squarish hole at the other. I taped a piece of plain old printer paper to the bottom so that no light could penetrate the tint. This basically makes this a black mirror. Also notice the stand-offs that I glued to the bottom. That's just so the floor will be even and stand over the wires.

Here is a shot of the piece from the top:
    [​IMG]
    Notice the reflection of our dining room table lamp. BTW...don't tell my wife I was doing this on the dining room table. :worried:

And finally a shot of the floor installed:
    [​IMG]
    Pretty nice fit...even if I do say so myself. To get it to fit so well I actually made a model of the floor out of card board first to make sure I had all of the cuts correct.

So now all the wires on the bottom of the case are hidden nicely. And I suppose I'm done with the case for now. Tomorrow I am entered in a local mod show/contest. So we'll see what happens. I'll be taking some pictures there and I'll let y'all know. :thumb:

Last edited: 13 Mar 2004
  5. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

Cool floor. Better than the usual mirror.

6. Znurf

Znurf What's a Dremel?

The lights look really cool with that window, and the design is also great! Truly nice work!

But (theres almost always a but ;))
    The CPU fan, you need something else to put on it ;) that standard "fanguard" isnt very nice, it dosent fit to the case, if you know what i mean ;)

And i realise, i need a new case :p cause mine isnt very nice ;) was when i bought it, but then again, what isnt ;) if its not, why buy it? :p

oh, and yeah, i have to use some of these: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: and some: :rock: :rock: since no one else uses them i mean :p :>

7. diskreet

thats exactly what i meant. looks good!
    Keep up the good work

8. Jaguar_Infinity

Jaguar_Infinity Just some guy

good luck in the competition, tbh i think you'll do well and if you dont win be sure to get pics of the winner as it will have to be either a case that is untinkable to meer mortals or a back hand job. GL!! :D

9. ynema

ynema What's a Dremel?

I love that window
    I've been trying to come up with and idea for my Lian-Li PC70 for a while now. Do you mind If I borrow your template and use it as a base for my own design. It'll have to be change to suit the size of my case and so forth so it's not just a copy.
    Here's What I've come up with so far
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 2 Nov 2003
  10. x3r0

x3r0 What's a Dremel?

OMG OMG OMG OMG!
    i've been trying all day to try and come up with a design even close to those :(
    they're so damn prettey :waah:

11. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

Okay...I have the results of the show, but first, let me respond to all that's been commented so far.

Thanks ouija. Ya know, I was originally going to do a regular mirror too. But I really didn't want to look in the bottom of my case and have it seem like the case went on forever....not that I have anything against anyone who has done their's like that. Just not what I wanted. So by using the tinted acrylic, when it is in my case with the side panel on, the floor really doesn't reflect much. It just looks dark. So that's kind of what I went for there.

Thanks Znurf. I know what you mean about the cpu fan guard. But there were a couple of reasons why I haven't done anything with it: 1) I can't really find a grill that looks good with the theme of my case and 2) I'll be replacing that heatsink and all soon anyway. So I can give it some more thought when I get to that point.

Thanks bud. I thought it was once you mentioned the stips of acrylic on the sides. :D

Thank you for that and for the wish of luck! I'll post more of the contest in just a bit. ;)

Thanks a bunch. And ya know what....this is one of the things I love most about this community. I've had a couple of folks email me and ask if they could use my design. There are so many other places and areas of life where people wouldn't even think to ask. They'd just copy the design and go with it. It really means a lot to me that people are willing to actually contact me and ask if they can use my design. And not even copy it...but just use it to inspire or influence their own design.

As for my response on whether you can use the design...truthfully I couldn't stop you if you wanted to. And I really don't mind if anyone uses the design...as long as they improve upon it. That is my one condition. Well...and if you make money off of it you give me a little. :D BUT before anyone uses it for sure, let me check with my buddy Danny. After all, it was his design that he let me use in the first place. I'm not ignoring anyone or anything, but I'll have to check with him on Monday. And again, I really appreciate y'all asking! :thumb:

Thanks. Yeah...I couldn't come up with this design on my own. I saw your other thread about the design and I was gonna post in there too, but I wanted to put an update in here first.

12. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

First Coast Mods Contest

Well, the contest was yesterday. And I would like to thank:
    Docking Station Cyber Cafe for hosting it
    technymfo for organizing it and providing prize money out of her own pocket
    Kustura Computers for sponsoring and providing a motherboard as a prize

It was a small turn out, which I guess was to be expected considering this is Jacksonville, FL and this was, as far as I know, the first event of it's kind in the area. It was funny, we set up in the gaming room of the cyber cafe and some of the normal members were there playing. When we started to set up, they just kind of glanced at us like...whatever. But once we lit up and all, they kinda eyed the boxes a bit. But not enough to really get excited.

So there was this one goofy looking guy there with a pretty sharp looking case. :p
    [​IMG]
    I have some more pics of of my case in action, but I'll post some other stuff first.

There was your normal antec/chieftec matrix case with side window and green cathode:
    [​IMG]
    There were a few others of these also there.

And then there was a 1940's phonograph conversion:
    [​IMG]
    That is an actual RCA Victor record player...or well it used to be.

I spoke to him about it and all. His house was built in 1941, and he has everything decorated in kind of that period style. So he wanted to build a computer that had tv out and all of that...much like a lot of the media boxes we've been seeing lately. He's actually running Linux on it...and if I'm not mistaken he is part of the area linux users group. Here are a couple more pics:
    [​IMG]
    Here you can see that he mounted the lcd screen in the lid. That box looking thing to the side of the monitor is for his cordless keyboard. He said he had it mounted inside the cabinet at first, but that all of the copper shielding inside the cabinet made it so that he could only have about a 3 degree angle to actually use the keyboard. So he moved it.

Here's a look inside:
    [​IMG]

Pretty packed in there!
    [​IMG]

So then...what were the results?
    The RCA phono conversion won $50 for most original mod.
    And mine won $50 for most technical and also an MSI K7N2 Delta-L motherboard for best overall. :clap:

I was planning on buying a new mobo and all soon anyway...and now I have the motherboard! I was looking at getting an Abit NF7-S, but I'm not about to turn down a free motherboard...and the MSI is much better than the cheap ECS board I have now! Woohoo....nForce2 chipset goodness! :D

13. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

And here are some random pics of my case at the show:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. ouija

ouija Trust me, I am doctor!

Truely a work of art :dremel:

15. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

incredible thats some serious dremeling :rock:
    as a n00b i would just like to say that this is the sort of thing thing that inspires people

truly wicked mod

16. Chief752

Chief752 What's a Dremel?

Great looking mod! :thumb: And congratulations on your win. It was much deserved. :clap: :clap:

17. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

ouija, titanium angel and Chief752 thank you very much for your kind comments. titanium angel....I've been inspired by so many people, especially folks here at bit, that I couldn't possibly mention them all. But I really do appreciate that I've inspired you (and hopefully a few others as well).

ynema: I heard back from my bud Danny and he said he has no problem with using the design. So my conditions still stand...as long as you do it better than me...go for it bro.

And...I picked up the motherboard today. It's not an nf7-s...but I'm still fairly stoked! Just finalizing my shopping list for the order I'll be placing to newegg today. :clap: I'm planning on getting a Thermalright SLK-900A with a panaflo 92mm medium flow fan (48cfm). That should be quiet and keep things cool. (I know swiftech and alphas are awesome...I have no mounting holes on the motherboard)

I'm trying to decide if I should go ahead and get 2 sticks of 512mb PC3200 ram...or get one now and one later...for the dual channel memory action. :D

I'll post some pics of the motherboard tonite. It's red just like my Radeon...sweeeeett!!

18. ynema

ynema What's a Dremel?

Awesome,
    Now all i have to do is finish my uni exams so I have some time to dremel, and file it into reality.
    I'll put a picture up of it when it's doen hopefully.

19. diskreet

I can only imagine how long that took, but suppose someone sent you a side panel and 200 USD, would you do something half as elaborate as that? :naughty:
    lol, just wondering, not actually considering....yet.

20. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

If someone sent me $200 and a side panel I'd dance a jig while I cut it! :lol:

I actually had someone ask me how much I would charge to cut a panel like mine...for them to display in a store. The thing is, they could probably take the design somewhere and have it water jet cut or laser cut or something and then the design would be pretty much perfect. Of course there wouldn't be that homemade feel to it....but they could get it done.

Now...take into account how long it would take me (of course I'm getting faster at it) and the cost of materials (which isn't much the way i cut it...just a couple of cut-off wheels and some sanding drums).... I would probably think my time and effort was worth about as much as someone could get it done professionally (i.e. machined) for. Don't get me wrong, I would love to do it. I really enjoy creating something like that with just my hands, some files and sand paper, and a rotary tool spinning at 35,000 RPM <insert Tim_Taylor_Grunt>

I think a lot of people would get a great feeling of satisfaction like I did when they see what they've created themselves. Then there are some people who want the look but don't want to spend the time and effort trying. And then some people who could care less...I work with a lot of those people. They all work with computers as programmers, but they don't understand modding.

Now on a different note...I have finalized my shopping list (actually I've ordered much of the stuff already). Here it is:
    MSI K7N2 Delta-L motherboard (the one I won)
    AMD Athlon 2500+ "Barton" (Newegg.com)
    80GB Western Digital Special Edition hard drive with 8mb cache (Newegg.com)
    Thermalright SLK-900-A - the 3 lug clip on version with a 92mm Panaflo High performance fan (56 cfm @ 35 db) from SVC.com

I haven't ordered it yet...but 512MB PC3200 Crucial ram. Just 1 for now...another in a couple of weeks to run dual channel. I really like Crucial ram. Very stable ram and a decent performer for the price. I would naturally prefer Geil Golden Dragon or Corsair XMS, but I can't justify the extra cost right now.

The last items are a 350 Watt Antec PSU and 2 D-Link 10/100 Ethernet cards. The last items are for other computers. My current hardware is going to my wife...hence the antec and one NIC. The other NIC is for an old computer I have lying around that I plan to install Slackware and XFCE on and use as a streaming MP3 server.....or something. :D