1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E.U: Leave or Stay? Your thoughts.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by TheBlackSwordsMan, 22 Feb 2016.

1. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

From the Beeb.
    "Following the votes, Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn reiterated his support for a further referendum after earlier ordering his MPs not to vote for one,"

That's really Corbyn in a nutshell, talk a big fight, then run and hide in the corner just before the bell rings.

No wonder Bluekip feel they can do whatever they want.

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Corbyn begrudgingly supporting a thing only at the point said thing can no longer be achieved, just so he can say 'well, I tried'...

3. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Italy: "you are right to leave"
    Germany: "your decision and ineptitude bemuses us"
    France: "we are mad at you for making such a mess"
    Netherlands: "thanks for the companies"
    Spain: "Gibraltar"
    Switzerland: "Welcome to the hell that are infinite negotiations with the EU"
    Trumpistan: "I don't know what is going on and where is my cheeseburger"

Corky42 and Nexxo like this.
  4. RedFlames

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Italy: "you are right to leave (but we're not leaving)"
    Greece: "Told ya this would happen (but we're not leaving either)"
    Norway: "Don't come knocking on our door"
    Poland: "We don't like the EU much... (but we like you even less)"
    Ireland: "Who's whose bitch now?"

6. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

You remind me of a thing in the Imperial War Museum. Between the World Wars the Germans carried out a years long and in depth study of how and why the British could suffer constant hardship, losses and setbacks at home, at a strategic and tactical level but just carry on fighting regardless. In the end they arrived at the conclusion that we could endure these things because deep down we thought it was all funny.

I feel that it still applies today, we're a nation that seems to find amusement in our own suffering.

adidan likes this.
  7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Well, the Brits better dig deep for that unique sense of humour in the coming months...

8. RedFlames

9. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Don't worry, we were probably making jokes during the plague.

That's why we're so good at laughing at ourselves, I mean we do really stupid things sometimes. So stupid you have to laugh.

But it's true, a small part of me finds this all hilarious.

Edit: I managed to laugh my head off at my dad's funeral. It was looking at the flowers, my dad was into racing and some had been made into a horse's head - a horse's head that looked like it had been stoved in with a shovel a left in a bed by the Mafia's florist. :)

We can find humour in the darkest of times.

ElThomsono likes this.
  10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I've probably got this wrong but, now we're going to request an extension and the length of it depends on whether Mrs May's deal is rejected (long) or accepted (short) doesn't that make it more likely that it will get rejected?

While leaving without a deal on the 29th is still technically possible aren't most MPs going to reject Mays deal, one group because it may give them another stab at leaving without a deal, and the other because it increase the chance of a 2nd ref.

11. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I was reading this morning that at least one person in French government wants the Brits to, TL;DR, get on with it and piss off.

Something tells me that the EU vote on whether to allow an extension will not be unanimous..

12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

As the political pundits say the EU won't want to be blamed for the UK leaving without a deal so while European politicians will moan and not like it they'll probably bite the bullet when it comes to allowing an extension.

13. liratheal

Tbh, I'm not sure why they'd suddenly care about being blamed by the UK - They already cop blame for everything our politicians are too spineless to take their share of the blame for. Which, really, is why we had this dumbass referendum in the first place.

Not to mention how much the EU sees the UK as a petulant child in their meetings and whatnot. Again because we elect anti-EU mongoloids to represent us, and again because we think the world revolves around us. You only have to look at how many times the UK has gone to an EU meeting/summit/whatever and made it all about us.

I get, on the world stage, it might look callous of the EU to do it - But with how the world views Brexit (Apart from an opportunity to get more favourable (to them) trade deals than they have with the EU) anyway, I'm not convinced the rest of the world would see it as the EU's fault that the UK couldn't negotiate or plan its way out of a wet paper bag.

adidan and yuusou like this.
  14. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

They don't care about being blamed by the UK, they care about being blamed by their citizens and with EU elections just around the corner being seen to be responsible for the UK leaving without a deal would be a bit of a blot on the copy book.

15. liratheal

I, obviously, can't speak for every EU person, but generally IME the blame is squarely on the shoulders of us, the UK, for this shitshow.

I get asked a lot by Germans about Brexit and even now with lingering threats of job loss (I'm in Bavaria, barely an hour from BMW's HQ - Incidentally, the BMW museum is quite good) the blame is being shot directly at the UK for being so brazen and foolhardy.

16. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

We should be thanked. If anybody thinks about a referendum in the future they can just use us as an example of what to expect.

You're welcome Europe. :)

liratheal likes this.
  17. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Which EU citizens blame the EU for Brexit?! It's in the name, it's not EUxit. Not to mention Britain will be leaving before the elections regardless, otherwise it's breaking the law if it doesn't participate in the elections. Are British politicians really going to "have an edible cake" by then? Nah. Why would EU member states waste their time any further? Why would EU citizens want to keep living in the uncertainty created by the British and their Brexit? Don't overestimate how much the EU and its citizens care about the petulant child. It's not their kid.

18. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

For Brexit itself yes, i completely agree, but I'm not so sure that would be the case when it came to extending.

It's a bit like kicking a man when he's down.

19. liratheal

Oh, it absolutely is - But in this instance, the man on the floor did kind of ask for the kicking.

If the sequence of events had been.

1: Referendum result.
    2: Government states to the public it needs time to arrange a plan, to get its ducks in a row so to speak.
    3: Government comes up with plan that doesn't upset everyone in business
    4: Trigger A50
    5: Enact plan. Negotiate with the EU without turning around and claiming they'd go back on everything they just said.
    6: Maintained a united front without the pissy childish infighting
    7: Discovered that everything in the plan is going to take longer
    8: Go to EU, request extension and present reasons.

9: EU said 'nob off mate'

Then sure, I'd agree that it wasn't in anyone's best interests.

Although, if the government acted like the above about everything, there probably never would have been a referendum in the first place..

20. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder