1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Fury (Finished - Re-mods to start ASAP)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by blackflag, 20 Jun 2004.

1. flapietoetoe

flapietoetoe What's a Dremel?

it all looks great but why in the hell did you paint you case black 'n pink? i like idea but i wouldn't have gone for black and pink but for black with metallic blue and chrome finishing

the rest seems all great specialy fillport plugg :jawdrop: :jawdrop: whatschamacallit (i dunno the correct name :p :wallbash: )

2. apHytHiaTe

apHytHiaTe What's a Dremel?

Pink? Check your :eeek:y:eeek:s out bro! Thats red.

Mmm... LianLi goodness.:naughty:

3. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

Before you post comments, maybe you should read the thread all the way through, especially the part where I state that the camera makes it look pinker but I had some very close approximations of what it really looked like, which is closer to a metallic burgandy. Perhaps this would look familiar then.

[​IMG]

:eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :grr:

4. KAMIKAZE-FREAK

KAMIKAZE-FREAK What's a Dremel?

5. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

Speaking of the fillport...

I got it mounted today. I like how it looks against the black. I painted the allen nut inside the fillport black to better match the color scheme. It used to be kind of goldish...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The view of the fillport inside the case:
    [​IMG]

I'm midway through working on the new Antec NeoWin PSU I got. It has the same paint scheme as the first one (R.I.P. :D ) right down to the black fan grill. For those of you who haven't been paying attention, picture #2's color is RED, NOT PINK. THE CAMERA JUST MAKES IT LOOK THAT WAY! :jawdrop: (/being a prick) :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I think it came out nicely. Those plugs were annoying to tape around though.

I decided to get some thinner Tygon to see if I can improve the water cooling loops. Since I was using 1/2" ID (3/4" OD) it made moving around in the case a bit tough, so much so that I had to remove the northbridge block because it couldn't connect to the CPU block without kinking. I ordered some 3/8" ID (5/8" OD) Tygon which should be here mid week.

Asus sent me a new board yesterday to replace the one my PSU murdered. This system may actually run soon!

I started to cut my window today :rock: . This will turn out quite nicely if I do say so myself. I was mid way cutting the lower window (there's going to be one up top and one on the bottom to show off the pump, HDDs and PSU :hip: ) when my beloved Dremel decided to just stop. :confused: :dremel: :waah:

So, I had to run out to Home Depot and pick up a new one. It was bound to happen I suppose, and I can't really complain since the first one served me very well for the past few years, despite all the stuff I've thrown at it.

I'm probably going to take a day off this coming week to get some junk done, and most likely will finish the window then. Next on the horizon though, is transferring the 24 pin v.2 ATX of the NeoWin into the 20 pin of my motherboard.

Until next time....

6. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

If you are going down to 3/8... you may wanna get some of the cheaper and thinner 3/8id / 1/2od, it would tidy things up a bit (it's what I plan to use). But just a suggestion.

Great work with the PSU. It looks excellent. Taking off those odd 6pin things (if you did) to sleeve it must have been most unfun. Or did you just go at it form the other side?

I probably would have gone with a black fillport myself just to keep the top cleaner, but it stays with the theme and adds an interesting point up there.

Keep it up! :thumb:

7. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

you could always do what I did in my 1/2" system when the tubes kinked. Frozencpu.com has these clear spring like things that wrap around the tube and make it more kink resistant. I have a tube going right from my RBX block to my nforce north bridge block without the slightest signs of kinking.

8. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

I like that DD fillport very much, but if it was me I would have went all_black. I don't think you need any red on top of the case, but that is just me. You rock on....... It looks like the DD fillport mounting nut (bottom) is acrylic, is it??

9. mrhanky

mrhanky What's a Dremel?

love those colours

10. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

I thought about going with the all black fillport, but it seemed too plain and I wanted the fillport to be a little noticeable, to provide something interesting on the top of the case. It's been seeming in some instances that there's been too much black, and I wanted to try to make it equal parts red and black. Yes, the retention nut on the fillport is acrylic which I thought was a little strange at first, but it does the job well.

I looked at the 3/8" ID / 1/2" OD tubing but the walls were very thin (1/16"). I didn't like that the working pressure (psi) was so low. The tubing I was using had a rating of 25psi (1/2" ID / 3/4" OD) so I was looking for something with a rating that was similar. The 3/8" tubing I ordered is rated at 31psi. Check it out:

Tygon Tubing

Having 1/8" more to play with should give me the flexibility I need. We'll see.

11. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I have 3/8"ID 1/2"OD with a new swiftech pump (DD lookalike) which claims ~315GPH and I haven't had any tubes blow up. But then again, I don't really like the look of huge tubing.

12. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

I had some 1/16" wall tubing a couple mods ago and I didnt like how flimsy it felt. It didnt feel very sturdy at all, and it seemed cheap. I think the 1/8" wall tubing feels stronger, and the 1/8" I'm gaining on diameter will allow me to connect everything the way i want.

13. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

I got the 3/8" tubing yesterday and contrary to DD's claims that it fits on 1/2" barbs, I had a hell of a time connecting it. I ordered some 3/8" barbs from FrozenCPU and they should be here tomorrow (woohoo- 1 day shipping in NY). This is actually beneficial and was the impetus for me to make all my barbs look alike (chrome, which goes with the color scheme). My radiator had those cheesy plastic barbs and my NB block had brass. It will improve the overall look of the system. The thinner tubing definitely will make things easier and with a bit of luck, I will have the system leak testing this weekend. :rock: :rock: :rock:

14. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

dip the ends of the tubes in boiling water for half a minute to soften it up. The tygon will shrinkwrap itself around the barbs when it cools back down.

15. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

Sorry for the lack of updates, life has truly been hectic. I dont have my digicam ATM (parents borrowed it again :duh: ) so no pics until probably the weekend at best.

I'm about 95% finished with the PSU (24 pin to 20 pin conversion-- i ran out of heatshrink and havent had time to pick up more). I split the cables into bundles of 4 (5 bundles) and sleeved them with alternating 3/8" red and black sleeves (thanks for the idea Zap) so it looks a bit better.

I've been cutting the side panel and it's been REALLY time consuming due to the thickness of the aluminum. I have the top and bottom cutouts finished, but there's still a bunch of filing to be done. Looking at the panel, just having plain cutouts, looks a bit boring. I think I may come up with something to spice the panel up a little (nothing too major that will detract from the top window). Any ideas? Here'a rough layout of how it looks:

[​IMG]

I'm probably going to unstealth the DVDRW and use the Lian Li drive cover that came with the case. Stealthed looks too plain as well.

It's literally killing me not to use this PC (I'm stuck with my Centrino, which is not cutting it). Have any of you guys taken vacation time for the sole purpose of modding? :hehe:

16. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

Is your side panel going to be red like the "rough layout"? I think it looks fine the way it is.
    Yes, time is always a problem. Looking forward to your next update.

17. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

Unless my boss is a member of these forums...twice.

18. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

Whoops, selected the wrong color. It's still the original black. But, as you can see, I threw that rough layout together in about 15 sec :D
    EDITED: rough pic

The plain black looks just that- plain. Still brainstorming....

Last edited: 1 Oct 2004
  19. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

Holy crap IE sucks! I was 95% done typing this post when IE decided to crash. ARRRRRRGGGGGHHH! :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: Time to fire up Mozilla....

Anyhow, my new Antec NeoWin is 100% finished and tested today to ensure my 24 pin to 20 pin conversion worked. I just took the 4 extra wires, heatshrinked them twice, and wire tied them neatly inside the PSU. As I mentioned earlier, I chose to sleeve the ATX connector using 5 bunches of 4 wires rather than one big umbilical cord.

[​IMG]

Here's the rest of the pictures of the PSU. I DIDN'T PAINT IT PINK! :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm midway through the case panel. As you can see it still looks pretty rough. That aluminum is THICK!!! I got these tiny files from Home Depot. They called them "hobby files" and they really come in handy for tight spots.
    [​IMG]

I did a quick run through with my files to smooth the "FURY" but I still will need to do at least one or two more filing sessions to get it right.

I'm still deliberating on what to do to the panel to spice it up a little. Here's how it looks so far.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was playing around with my paint pen and I ran it alongside the letter "R" to see if it looked OK. It looks pretty decent, I may end up using it after all.
    [​IMG]

Well, tell me what you guys think of the panel so far, and if you have any ideas on what I can do to liven it up a bit.
    :naughty:

20. Langer

Langer Jesse Lang

I love it. Really cool PSU.

i have the same case and i know what you mean by "thick" but, like the rest of your log, you pulled it off nicely