1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Fury (Finished - Re-mods to start ASAP)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by blackflag, 20 Jun 2004.

1. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

Nice update. I am looking for forward to seeing your finished sidepanel, you have a very cool laser etch. Best of luck.
    MS

2. mykoe817

mykoe817 What's a Dremel?

that is a beautiful tower, and to what you have done to it, WOW :jawdrop: can't wait to see the out come of this project, SUBCRIBED!! ^_^

3. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

Danger Den finally got their fillport in. I ordered a red anno'd one, should look pimp against the black of the case.

[​IMG]

4. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

Well, I've got the Tygon all in place except for the fillport which should be here next week.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm going to have to start focusing on the window soon so I took it out and laid it on the panel. It looks tight! :rock:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm planning on neatening (a word? :D ) up some cables today, finishing the switch bezel, and some other little odds and ends. Hopefully I'll have another update up in a day or so.

5. crimandevil

crimandevil What's a Dremel?

Thats awesome. :rock:

6. Mosha

Mosha What's a Dremel?

How do those fillport thingies work? :duh:

7. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

Quoted from Danger Den:

"The Fillport is easy to install using a 1" hole. A retaining nut will snug it up to the case...connect the tubing from the Fillport to your T-Line (or reservoir) and you're in business. Water can be added by removing the plated plug with an included wrench."

Basically, it gives you direct access to filling your system through the top fillport, and is covered by a bolt when you're not filling it. The other side is connected to tubing which leads to your T-line in the water system.

I wanted to test my system a little today, so I hooked it up for the first time. I don't know if the massive thunderstorm we were having at the time contributed to this, but when I turned the PSU on, I heard a whining sound and smelled electric burning. :worried:

Needless to say, my PSU does not turn on anymore and upon further inspection, I saw that one of the ATX prongs in the mobo was charred black. I already submitted a RMA to Asus, and should be getting a new board soon. On the bad end of things was the PSU, which obviously, voided its warranty long ago :D <-- not really in a smiley mood right now, but you have to admit it's a little ironic. Somehow I don't think Antec would take back a metallic red, cable sleeved PSU.

Anyhow, I'm gonna need to get a new PSU. I was seriously considering getting a modular one, seeing how cramped the wires were in the lower compartment. I narrowed it down to the Antec NeoPower 480W PSU, or the ModRight X Connect 500W PSU.

Antec:
    [​IMG]
    Pros: It has a 120mm fan and since its Antec, I know it's a quality PSU. It has SATA connectors, and the cables can be sleeved the way I want them to be.

Cons: The remaining cables they did not sleeve are messy, and I dont want to have to do a tremendous amount of work since I'm pissed I have to do anything at all. Also, I will have to paint the PSU, which sucked the first time around. "Only" 480W.

X Connect:
    [​IMG]
    Pros: No painting necessary- the finish is hot! Extremely shiny- no painting needed. VERY neat. The reviews I've read say it's as good as Antec in the voltage department. 500W of power.

Cons: The included cables are rigid, and glow blue UV out of the box, which would kill my color scheme. It appears that you could make your own cables. All you would need is to take some female molexes and toss them on the end of some wires and you'd be ok. I emailed the company to find out if this is the case and am waiting for a response. Also, it has (2) 80mm fans (80? who chooses 80mm?) instead of (1) 120mm, so it may be a touch louder than the Antec. Also, despite the good reviews, I've never heard of them before.

They're priced similarly, the Antec is only like $9 cheaper or something. Anyone have experience with either of these PSUs, and if so, what do you have to say?

Thanks.

MJ007

8. Mosha

Mosha What's a Dremel?

thats balls, what might have caused it?

9. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

No idea, but it definitely was not the highlight of my weekend. I am very pissed. I put HOURS into that PSU, only to have it smoke out on me.

10. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

That really does suck.... it looked great too.

My vote goes for the antec neowin or whatever, basically because of all the pros you mentioned and the sleeving on the Ultra just wouldn't fit the theme at all and would probably ruin the looks. And there's no way at all to get away from the stock ATX line on it even if you could make your own for everything else.

And the antec is totally futureproof.... 24pin eatx line, 6pin pcie graphics line, etc. "ATX 2.0 Compliant", and as intel will be pushing their new thing like no other, you might as well just go with it. They DO have all of the OEMs to back them after all.

11. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

Firehed-

You've got a good point there. I thought about it, and I'd rather re-sleeve 3 cables and do a bit of painting than have to screw around with that ATX connector on the X Connect. Plus, the Antec doesnt have a fan in the back, so it should be easier for me to paint this time around. I'll do some minor modification to the Antec and then paint it the same color as the first one. Just ordered it from Newegg. At $121 it's not too bad. PSU V.2 here I come!

12. Cisko

Cisko What's a Dremel?

nice job , thats awesome :thumb:

13. Atarax

Atarax What's a Dremel?

nice job hope it turns out the way you wanted

14. R@Mo

R@Mo What's a Dremel?

Tough luck with the old PSU and motherboard. :sigh:

Lets hope ASUS get you a new mb soon! I wanna see this project progress further, not stall. Excellent work so far. :cooldude:

I think the Antec PSU is the better choice. It's definately more reliable and this way you can go with a custom paint job, so think of it as another opportunity to be creative! :D I dunno about you, but I find that seeing the results of my own shiny paint job extremely satisfying. :thumb:

15. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

Just got my RMA number from Asus, and my new PSU will be here this morning. Fillport will be here Monday, so I'm kind of at a standstill until I get the parts. I didnt realize that since the new Antec PSU is all set for PCI express, that there was a 24 pin ATX connector and they give you one of those stupid converters to 20 pin, which always makes sleeving (neatly) fun. I may have to look into ways to mod it back to a 20 pin without using that *#@$%^& adapter.

:miffed: :miffed:

Last edited: 26 Aug 2004
  16. Thunder_return

Thunder_return What's a Dremel?

You may just paint the fu****g adapter in your red theme ,it
    may even look cool if you have luck.
    Good project!

17. Firehed

Yeah, you should just be able to pull out the pins from the 24pin and put them in a 20pin connector. Although I swear that the 24pin ones didn't have -12v or something (or maybe just in converters)

18. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

I found the pinouts for 24 pin to 20 pin conversion. It seems fairly straightforward, with one exception. On pin 18, there should be (on a 20 pin molex) a white -5V wire. Yet, on pin 18 on the 24 pin connector, there is no wire at all. When you attach Antec's 24pin to 20pin adapter, it plugs pin 18 into an empty socket. This being the case, where does the -5V come from then?

[​IMG]

Does it matter? I don't want this PSU to explode too. :eyebrow:

19. Acid Burn

Acid Burn ..look but don't touch..

[speaking from experience] It won't explode... just short cirquit all the components that are wrong wired.. :wallbash:

20. Firehed

Ooh nice printout... I should get that lamintated :)

You should just be able to do a straight swap. 1-10 and 13-22 (I think, the top 10) would just go to 1-10 and 11-20. I think -5v is just something for old ISA slots and ultra-legacy stuff, so you should be fine without anything there. I'm juding that by my Soyo pci diagnostic card has a PSU tester type thing built in and it doesn't even check -5v (it does check -12v though).

Basically make it look like the adaptor.

Make sure you wrap up each of the remaining four wires (3.3/5/12/g) well individually in electrical tape and tuck them away back into the body of the PSU in case you need to reconvert it to 24pin. Or cut them off if you want, but I wouldn't since intel WILL push their standard and the industry WILL follow (they have OEMs backing them, so what they want they get).