Project: Fury (Finished - Re-mods to start ASAP)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by blackflag, 20 Jun 2004.

1. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Wow... I've got a buligin equivalent (ITD or something).... the dot LED doesn't take much pressure at all (much smaller too) although the other unlit one that's the same size (different type of switch, a 2-in-1 kinda thing, one momentary closed one momentary open into one switch) takes a little more pressure. Same ones that G-gnome used in the front of Orac, actually. Gotta love the click though. Yours must be over solid.... I mean isn't it pretty thick aluminum that it's mounted in? No worries about accidentally bumping into it and shutting down your computer though :)

Do you have a log for black jack anywhere? I haven't seen anything.

2. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

The front of the Lian Li V1000 is pretty thick aluminum, but (for air-flow I guess) there is nothing behind the perforated aluminum front. Don't get me wrong, I am not bending the front panel by pressing the button it just flexes the panel and I am not happy with the feel.
    Black Jack is here.. http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=62286
    MS

3. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

Here's some more pics:

My first couple of coats of metallic red paint on the "motherboard deck" (notice the silver metallic sparklies) :D
    [​IMG]

This is how the PSU turned out:
    [​IMG]

Alternate PSU shot. I know the gold grill does not match, but since it is upside down in the case, it will not be visible.
    [​IMG]

PSU in full view. This red sleeving did not come UV (like that orangey-red stuff) but I am going to spray it with red UV clearcoat.
    [​IMG]

Here's one of the red anoed fans in place (that I will be removing for another coat of paint). I have some of that orangey crap in there for color comparison. It will be removed for "real" red sleeving.
    [​IMG]

A small shot to show the contrast of the red and black. Mind the dust, it's been sitting out for a couple weeks. :D
    [​IMG]

I still have the rest of this crap to fit in here!
    [​IMG]

Will post more as more progress is made.

4. Firehed

Maybe it's jsut the lighting but the red painting looks somewhat pinkish... I'm guessing it looks better IRL. That's one freakin' LONG ATX line!!! Well long everything for that matter...

I love it so far :)

5. Morphine

Morphine weeee!

metallics are usually pretty hard to take nice colors of. Cameras tend to bring out more of the metallic sparkly and make the color look lighter.

6. modsquad

Looking Good. You are going to get a nice RED/BLACK contrast. Paint looks great! (It does show a false pink in the pictures).
    I see a 120mm intake fan, Fury is going to be H20 cooled correct? So your Radiator will be mounted in the exhaust fan area or external? What Radiator are you using? There is no way my Innovtek 120mm radiator could mount (internal) in the 120mm exhaust fan position, it's way to big. It would block most of the I/O panel. Keep up the good work, I hope to "steal" some ideas from you, so keep up the posts dude.
    MS
    My BlackJack= http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=62286

7. jmy

jmy What's a Dremel?

Got any tests between the CPUs?

Nice work by the way :).

8. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

It does look a bit pinkish in the pics, but you're right, it's just the metallic paint- it doesn't look so pink in real life. The color is ruby red, not fire engine or cherry red (which looks horrible, as I tried it first).

I'm using a Black Ice Pro (single 120mm) radiator. It will be mounted where the rear exhaust fan is, probably externally. I'm keeping the intake fan to blow onto the hard drives.

The ATX connector IS very long, but I suppose that's a good thing seeing how it has to travel up into the top compartment.

As far as the Opteron 148 vs. the Fx-51, just look at the specs from NewEgg.

Model: AMD Opteron Model 148
    Core: Hammer
    Operating Frequency: 2.2GHz
    FSB: Integrated into chip
    Cache: L1/64K+64K; L2/1024K
    Voltage: 1.5V
    Process: 0.13Micron
    Socket: Socket 940
    Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2, 3DNOW!, 3DNOW!+

Model: AMD Athlon 64 FX-51
    Core: ClawHammer
    Operating Frequency: 2.2GHz
    FSB: Integrated into Chip
    Cache: L1/64K+64K; L2/1024K
    Voltage: 1.5V
    Process: 0.13Micron
    Socket: Socket 940
    Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2, 3DNOW!, 3DNOW!+

They are the same. The core name is really not different. The FX-51 is called Clawhammer because it's marketed under the name "Athlon64" which use the Clawhammer core, despite that it is a rebadged Opteron. The specs are the same, and both use ECC RAM. Both have integrated 128bit Dual Channel Memory. I just saved $320 that would have been wasted on AMD's marketing :hehe:

Modsquad, don't "steal" my ideas (in your words). I'd like Fury to be unique (though I do have a couple tricks up my sleeve :D ), and I'm really curious to see how your Black Jack turns out. It's interesting to see how 2 people can take the same case and have completely different approaches to it. I've been watching your post and want to see how you would do it.

Last edited: 8 Jul 2004
  9. jmy

jmy What's a Dremel?

Great! Then my next system will be Opteron based :)

10. Deep-Blue

Deep-Blue Part-time Overclocker

Its great to see more 'non standard' cpus being used. When i can, i indend to buy an old Sparc workstation as a solaris desktop. See what sorta evil holes i can put through it!

11. Firehed

Well different core but I'm sure that makes a ton of difference... yeah right. Good deal :)
    Now you need to figure which pin to rip off to convert it to a socket 939 :)

12. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

The 939 is missing the one in the bottom left hand corner. :hehe:

13. modsquad

Only Kidding dude! Our two projects are going in two different directions. It will be interesting to see where we end up. There is another guy working on a sliver V1000 (also water cooled), but I don't think he is doing a project log.
    Best of Luck
    MS

14. FILTHY1337

FILTHY1337 Senior Overclocker

yes they have the same clock speed but there are subtile diferences in the chip kinda like althlon vs althlon xp clock speed isnt everything theres a reason the chip is so damned expensive...its that good :thumb:oops wrong quote

15. ErictheHank

ErictheHank What's a Dremel?

Here is what HardOCP has to say about the FX-51

"Many of you might be looking at this CPU and asking, "Isn't that an Opteron?" and you would be close to right. The AthlonFX is very much an Opteron in desktop clothing, right down to the pin count. The differences are that the Opteron is not specified to run DDR400, only DDR333, and officially two of the HyperTransport bus interfaces have been removed from the AthlonFX."

That being said. I have yet to see anyone who has benched them comparitively and come up with anything other than nearly identical results. Of course we all know that not being "specified" to run a certain type of memory doesn't mean much. All it means is that AMD won't guarantee anything. So actually according to the statement above, you should get better performance out of the Opteron, not much but maybe a little bit on a benchmark here or there.

16. Halgy3000

Halgy3000 Minimodder

[Homer Simpson]Mmmmmm, Opteron. Gaalahaa[/Homer Simpson]

17. daba

daba What's a Dremel?

Excellent!

I have a V1000B as well but I like the design too much. Therefore, it's staying clean and professional.

Good luck to you though! Looking forward to this mod.

18. blackflag

blackflag I Kill Dremels

After some "gentle" overclocking (thank you water cooling!) I'll have it running at FX-53/55 performance. I can't wait to get this bad boy together :sigh:

19. Carbon

Carbon Banned

Your not the only one :D

I'm liking this project and also you've shown me some pics of the case that i havnt seen yet :)

20. Morphious

Morphious What's a Dremel?

Somewhat off topic but when I first saw this thread I thought it was Project: Furby. I was disappointed to see that no such case was being made.