1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WASD or ↑←↓→ ?

Discussion in 'General' started by riggs, 13 Dec 2005.

1. riggs

riggs ^_^

Just curious as to whether people still use the arrow keys (for whatever reason)?
    I’m asking because out of the 6 <semi hardcore> PC gamers I know, 2 of them still use arrow keys for movement (and I’ve got absolutely no idea why – I can’t see any benefits!)

I suppose it’s like asking whether you used the left or right set of Ctrl/Alt keys when playing Doom/Doom II/Duke3D?
    I was always a lefty (preferred my hands to have some distance between them).

2. Malvolio

Malvolio .

I use both :thumb: Movement is with WSAD, and I use the four d-pad buttons as "switch" or tigger buttons in game. If a game typically doesn't use a mouse, than I'll most likely use the arrow buttons and asign the rest of the keyboard to my left hand.

3. kill_me_quick

kill_me_quick Big and Blue

I don't tend to use the arrow keys anymore, for games i tend to use WASD for movement as there are a greater number of keys around them compared to the arrow keys.

I also only really use the left ctrl/alt keys

4. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

I use the arrow keys!

5. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

seconded

6. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

I have always used the arrow keys, it always seemed to make more sense. I can see why people used WASD but that seems wrong as the W is offset slightly. However, my keyboard has other keys all around the arrows, so it's all good :)

7. alastor

alastor Minimodder

WASD here, always made sense to me as you can use QE to lean or E for action, R for reload, dont have to move your hand to space for jump etc etc.

8. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

WASD mostly because that's what I'm used to. Also with the way my desk is set out it's a lot more comfortable.

9. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

I use WASD, because there are more buttons around it, and because I don't have to have my arm across my body as i have to with the arrow keys. Also having the keys offset is better for me.

10. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

WASD because it just seems easier!

11. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

WASD as well. I'm hoping to get an FPS keyboard that rather relies on it for Christmas. It's been a LONG time since I've used the arrows. And I make HEAVY use of the surrounding keys... All my little mega-buy binds for CS and whatnot (alt="buy primammo;buy hegrenade;buy vest;buy smokegrenade;buy flashbang;buy elites;buy fiveseven;buy secammo" - quite nice for iceworld and whatnot). I keep all my "critical" ones on the mouse itself - mouse3 (push in the mousewheel) for reload, side buttons for cycling guns, scrolling up/down for specific guns, etc. Varies by game of course.

It's definately more natural as well, the spacing of my arms just works better that way. I'd have to move my left arm way over to use the arrows, which is quite uncomfortable for me.

My friend actually went to a ESDF layout back when he was gaming, as you've got a few more keys to work with on the left side that are within reach.

12. ajack

ajack rox

Arrows due to being left handed, tis just easier.

13. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

[crtl] [↑] [↓] [Numpad0] for ever, wasd feels so uncomfortable.

[crtl] strafe left
    [Numpad0] strafe right
    ↑ forward
    ↓ back
    ← lean/turn left
    → lean/turn right

When playing I do shift my whole keyboard to the left, plenty desk space.
    I've tried WASD a few times but preffer my own.

14. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

I used to use the AVP controls

Right shift = jump
    Right control = crouch
    Up, Down, Left, Right = Forward, Backpedal, Strafe left, Strafe right
    0 = Reload
    / = Flashlight
    . = Flare

Then some other close random buttons for other things.

Used that for years untill I started playing Counter-Strike, then got converted to WASD.

15. riggs

riggs ^_^

Ah...fair enough if you're left handed - never thought of that.

Thing is, both my mates are right handed, and use keyboards with a 'normal' layout (ie, space around the arrow keys).
    See, that's the thing that gets me...the fact that there is a space surrounding the keys, and there's nothing below (if you get what I mean). At least with WASD, I can comfortably hit other keys without stretching (compared to the arrow keys anyway).

I'm pretty sure they both have '0' (on the number pad) set to jump...!?

Actually, thinking about it, one of them was suffering from RSI about a year ago.

16. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

But with more buttons on the mouse now, you don't need as many keys on the keyboard.

Left click = fire
    Right click = crouch
    Middle click = scope
    Scroll = change weapon

NumPad1 = jump
    NumPad2 = reload

17. specofdust

specofdust Banned

WASD is far better, you get so many more keys in a very small ammount of area with your average QWERTY keyboard when using WASD. Basicly you have very quick access to 16 keys inc. wasd, all of which can be reached without any stretching from your fingers, which is much quicker then having to reach over to things if you use the arrow keys. Also, unless your keyboard(or your an evil lefty) is very far away from your mouse, WASD is better for your posture(since your arms are wider apart).

edit: I do agree that an inreasing number of buttons on mice makes these things more redundent, but there are certain things its better to do on a keyboard(leaning for instance) and certain things that its handy to have on the mouse(reload on mouse 4 for instance). It all depends on the game, but I generally find the keys around WASD all get used.

18. Tim S

Tim S OG

WASD all the way.

19. P2D

P2D 99.999% Pure Spam!

WASD 4TW TBH

Last edited: 14 Dec 2005
  20. Naked_Dave

Naked_Dave What's a Dremel?

Arrow keys, as i'm a bit of a muppet and always miss the WASD keys if i try to use them, and end up throwing a grenade at my feet or something!