1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs I’m So Sick Of World War II

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 21 Sep 2009.

1. dec

dec [blank space]

what about vietnam or korea a good jungle war cant hurt right? i dont mine ww2 games but so many of them are about the americans in the war. change it up a little. what if germany/japan/italy/etc won? what if normandy was the disaster that it almost was?

id like to see a game set in south america. FPS guerilla warfare style

@person w/essay. 1984 would be an awesome game....as long as its done right

2. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

A truly excellently written post - +rep!

As for all those people talking about Vietnam or Korean War games, well there are already plenty of those. They're just mainly really, really bad and made from a purely American perspective. At least, the ones I've played have been.

3. Xir

Xir Modder

The alternative theaters... Battlefield Vietnam, Vietcong...even (the excellent) Vampires the masquerade have one thing in common...they sold badly

That's the simple reason why we keep returning to WW2.

Far Cry 2 was beeing put down as racist because most of the opponents are black (cause it's okay to kill nazi's or russians but not black people Mkay?)

4. Kris

Kris Lord Lolwut

Mhm, you are so right Joe - why can't be there something different for a change... Like someone mentioned, a ninja game(perhaps an RPG to boot?) would be great :)

5. Aragon Speed

Aragon Speed Busily modding X3: Terran Conflict

Here are the last 3 games that I bought in order:

Call of Duty 2
    Oblivion
    Mass Effect

I would buy more games, but lately (Last 2-3 years) I am finding it hard to find a game that is interesting enough for me to want to pay out £35-£40 for it; They all seem like rehashes of previous games.

While this is not totally unavoidable as there are only so many genres to pick and choose from, they could at least not make them total carbon copies of what has gone before with a tweaked GFX engine.

WW2 games as mentioned in the OP are the worst offender, and there are so many of them currently, that it is becoming hard to find anything but these games grinning at you from the shelves, but this syndrome is not just limited to that type of game, just that they are the most obvious culprits due to their promiscuous ways.

Mass Effect is one of the few games recently that made me want to buy it, and I have enjoyed it hugely over the last few months (even though it is criminally short for something with RPG tendencies IMO) because it is not just another carbon copy game.

I feel that the reason I enjoyed Mass Effect so much was because of the plot (it had one for a start), some more story driven games with today's graphics engines to back them up (not a GFX engine with a weak plot tagged on to give the player a very shallow reason to be doing whatever they are currently supposed to be doing) would help tremendously in creating more varied, interesting, and satisfying games as far as I am concerned.

6. binary101

binary101 What's a Dremel?

Have a look at Battleground Europe http://www.battlegroundeurope.com/ the graphics is so so but its a WW2 MMOFPS. The battle for a town/city can last for days wtih tanks, planes, aa and at guns, more than 150 on each side i can tell you that.

7. Rocket_Knight64

Rocket_Knight64 Minimodder

8. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

Why?

That'll likely never happen - there's still bitter sentiment over that in the south.

9. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

I guess.. they re-enact it all the time though in full costume and everything

that monkey island remake on the cryengine looks good- I didn't care too much for the cartooney remake of the first one.. the voice acting was tops, couldn't have been better than that, but I found myself playing in the old format more than the new updated

they should make a emo game called cry of ritalin, that might make joe change his mind and go running back to the ww2 genre :hip:

10. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

I'm not sure, but I don't think I've ever heard of a reenactment in a Northern state. In quite a few Southern communities, people just haven't gotten past it yet, nevermind that the Civil War ended before they were even born. That the South still dwells on the war fuels a lot of jokes on Family Guy and elsewhere.

11. Dosvedagna

Dosvedagna Justice!

Couldnt agree more, theyre over produced and getting dull and uninteresting, medal of honour is a particularly shining example of a bad, boring, repetitive war game - a series long dead in my eyes.

and as for pirates....

YARRR!!

heh

(also how awesome would it be, for a pirate game with really innovative sword fighting... guns are point and shoot so its easy to program, but how awesome would it be to have complex theatrical sword fights in games??)

12. OtakuHawk

OtakuHawk What's a Dremel?

this post is win on large variety of levels. I applaud you sir.

13. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

The answer to why they don't do this or that is ALWAYS the same:
    MONEY!

It's ok to ruin a franchise like fallout because of money. And them claiming they sold more than the previous ones combined.

They make WWII games because it sells good. Pirates? I would love to see one, but i really don't think it will sell well.

Actually what I can't see anymore is FPS's... WWII, in future, or anything like that. The only one i really care about is L4D because of the multiplayer. Period.

14. slugbug

slugbug Going Broke Saving Money

Has there ever been a WW1 combat game?

15. captainpie

captainpie What's a Dremel?

some of the mods for red orchestra are quite cool with the different theatres of ww2 there. Also i recall a mod for half life i think which was based in colonial america. dont know how far it was developed but it looked like it had potential

Tags: Add Tags