MMORPG's

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Tolsk, 10 Feb 2006.

?

Which MMORPG do you play

1. Everquest

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  2. Everquest 2

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  3. World of Warcraft

22 vote(s)
    28.9%
  4. Eve Online

7 vote(s)
    9.2%
  5. Star Wars: Galaxies

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  6. Final Fantasy XI

3 vote(s)
    3.9%
  7. Not Listed (please post)

10 vote(s)
    13.2%
  8. None

19 vote(s)
    25.0%
  9. Guild Wars

6 vote(s)
    7.9%
  10. Dark Age of Camelot

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. free MMORPG

4 vote(s)
    5.3%
  12. Lineage 2

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

I don't play right now currently I have 4 capped empty characters because I quit ages ago however I played back in the days on Nepture lmao :hehe:

I'm really considering about upgrading to nc2 where my old clanmates will help me with items... I used to be in NCAT

I didn't know you were still playing I heard you mention nc before...

2. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

Yeah the rush of clicking on an enemy and pushing some key combinations...wow you pwnt someone!!! :clap:

I'm just being sarcastic WoW isn't that bad but I can't stand "point and click" games... however WoW had good enough content to keep me interested for a while too bad all these MMORPG's are based in europe or america and therefore no one is on when I play on my hours :(

I recently started DAoC on the 14 day free trial and I have no idea how to play if someone would be able to help me around and understand the game because it seems quite interesting then I would be greatful. :D :cooldude:

3. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

Two eve accounts, one from launchday, the other from about 9 months later which take a lot of my time.

And one CoH account from a couple weeks after its launch (tried the beta, was fun .. but didn't think I'd buy, a few weeks later I gave in and got my fix :p) which I play sporadically.

Adrenaline : I've had battles in EVE where I'd gone a long time without PvP, then suddenly got into a fight against the odds with an expensive ship, where I was literally shaking from head to toe from the sudden rush of adrenaline and didn't come down for 20-30 minutes .. I've never, ever seen another game that could do that or even aproach a little bit of it for that matter.

On paying for MMO's : I started out as a nay-sayer also, just couldn't see it, then PC Gamer (UK) put a 30 day trial of UO on its cover disk and I got hooked, its the social aspect that does it : playing an enjoyable game with people you enjoy spending time with - without bumping into (well getting ressed by ;) ) some awesome people and falling in with them, I wouldn't have started paying.

On those I've played but not any more :

DAoC : Fun, but you need to be with an uber group to really get anywhere past a certain point, plus it is/was very grindy at high levels and the community is somewhat .. harsh. (I quit with a 47 bard after about 18 months or so, I let my guild play with the toon after and I believe they got him to 50, though they never got his epic stuff)

AO : played some in beta and some on a free-turned-shadowlands account more recently. Not terrible, but past a certain point you realize it is very standard and boring : ie you might be able to level up to 200, but after about level 40 or so you've probably seen all the changes in gameplay you are going to - from there on the numbers in play just get bigger. Plus since they never upgraded the engine from DX7? that was around when the game was made, it actually manages to run worse on modern hardware than it did back at launch and seemingly they never completely solved the lag problems.

Over the course of time I've played maybe over a dozen MMOG's and come to dislike the standard way of making MMO's : which is to say a level grind with camping for "uber loot", with some feeble excuses for missions tacked on to try to make it sound like there is a plot - the whole experience constructed as a treadmill to keep people playing and with the focus on restricting what people can do, rather than trying to create an actual online world people can make a mark on. I think thats why I love eve so much - its a toolkit for ambitious players to use, not a way to farm players for cash :hehe:

On a side note, the WoW trial is probably the closest to perfection the standard side of the genre has come, what with the level grinding minimized, the missions being well done and so on and I still mean to pick it up and play it for a few months sometime, but I hear somewhere past 40 (I got to about 33 or 34 on the trial) it turns into the more usual camping for úber loot requiring a lot of time and a lot of skilled, organized players that I'm not really interested in so I doubt it would have more than a couple months of real interest for me.

On another side note, Auto Assault which I've been on the beta for the last six months or so, is very much just a standard MMO on wheels - and while the wheels are fun, the game somehow managed to miss anything that really makes it feel special - after about the first week (and two four hour sessions was all we were allowed at the time) I kept forgetting it existed when the playsessions were on, which never seemed like a good sign to me. Also about the worst social functions I've seen since UO (Which didn't really have them at all :hehe: )

4. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

well im gonna try anarchy online then, thats one hell of a free trial so it might get my vote :D
    thanks for the info spec

/edit, just read the above and it sounds a bit worse now

5. Ab$olut

Ab$olut What's a Dremel?

What about legend of mir ? it was always on gamenetwork looks kinda cool too I may try one of these games theres just something about them I don't like such as the leveling up aspect it seems to take so long in my eyes

6. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

hmmm, installed AO half hour ago and its not uninstalled, not the best looking game is it?
    i dont think ill ever be part of this mmorpg malarky

7. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I used to play WoW so I have put that down. I've now been clean for 6 months though.

8. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Nope, it doesn't look particularly good, but few MMO's do look truly spectacular(Wipe that smile of your face Eve!). Give it a go, add me to your friends list if you want, I'm Akore or Specofdust, we can meet up once you get of newbie island and go hunting together if you'd like.

9. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

WoW on my widescreen Dell, with everything maxxed out looks superb. Although I must say that on the same setup, EVE also looked eye popping - I just got a bit bored with all the hyperdriving and stargate stuff...

10. SensesFail

SensesFail Guest

None. After hearing about people dying from their WoW addiction, I figure I'll just sidestep that whole rat's nest. :)

I just don't see the entertainment value. MMORPGs take so much time that when your finished you just have this big empty feeling inside of you knowing that nothing was really accomplished. At least with FPS, that void is filled quickly, since you really only play 15 minutes a round. MMORPGs look addicting...but I can't get myself to admit that I'd rather spend more time on a computer than outside (which, lately, is true...)

I'm not trying to ridicule MMORPGs or you guys that play them...because they are fine in moderation. I don't think I have the will power to take it in moderation, so I'll just take shots of FPS to hold over my addiction. :)

11. Hepath

Hepath Minimodder

Dying from their addiction? Sounds like the Urban Myth of the "Everquest suicide victim".

I've played Everquest, DAOC, AO, Eve Beta and now WoW.

To be fair (and this is hinted a lot in this thread) - MMORPGs are not for every one and ultimately they are time sinks - sessions can take hours in order to achieve anything especially at high levels.

Personally I play WoW, because at my age and wiht a young family I can *importantly* to me play on my own. The quests are amazing and populated throughout every zone; so every level has many to choose from. The developers add themes, for example we've just been through a the whole valentines thing. The content is amazing. To be honest I find it more *fun* than the others.

EQ - It was the first truly *massive* online game and was relatively serious and as the first had a few flaws. I personally hated the death penalties and whole corpse retrieval system. I managed to lose almost a whole level just retrieving a corpse! That coupled with the fact that soloing was a non-starter at any high levels meant after 2 years I slowly went to DAoC...

DAoC managed to cure a few of the problems of coprse retrieval, but suffered in the early days of PvP balancing problems. Staying in the PvR arena soloing became more of an art form and you had to have money to repair and create items. However, it was the first game that seemed to be 'true' to what I wanted out of game of this genre.

Eve - neverly really managed to get a grip on this game, when I joined all the factories and commerce space was take leaving little options (it seemed to me) to build an empire; It was amazingly pretty, but felt like a souped-up "Elite"

AO - well that drove me mad due to the bugs and consistent lag. It had promise, but never reached it for me. Also (as mentioned) there was no real
    *direction* to it... Not played it for over 18 months now.

WoW? Still playing and open minded. I can play when I want and seems to be continuing progressively in content. PVP seems evenly balanced. More importantly it is fun; and there are even zones that have a hint of humour (there subtle references to many things e.g. Authors, the gaming industry and many others; lots tongue in cheek!) Its that slight tongue in cheek that I like coupled with the playability. Lets face it it has its challenges and I would not say its perfect, but at least I can play for a few hours die, and not give a stuff (too much!)

Just my 2c

12. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Yeah the Blizzard MMO machine is just awesome tbh. Aside from the continuous updates and tweaks, new zones, new NPCs and quests etc, the recent festivals have been really cool to take part in. The Lunar Festival and the Valentines Day events have proven to have more to them than simply gimmicky eye candy - both have more than a passing 'taste' of Nintendo about the playful, humourous nature of combining silly little distractions with a decent, small scale series of quests that any level of character can get involved with (collecting romantic poems, love letters and greeting cards from amorous undead guards, swayed by the use of perfume!). Apart from anything it just keeps the game nice and fresh.