1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MODS PLEASE LOCK - MOVED TO NEW FORUM :D!!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Starbuck3733T, 2 Sep 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlashPanHunter

FlashPanHunter What's a Dremel?

Very nice, great work putting this this together. I second the request for a full shot of the outside.

2. glennd_05

glennd_05 What's a Dremel?

nice job on the case :thumb:

as for the wire management it looks quite good, but tape that white wire to the inside of the drive cage of just color it black w/ a permanent marker.

what additave do you have in the water in the pics, don't think i've seen anything that color before

great job on the case, its really coming together :thumb:

-glenn-

3. Starbuck3733T

Starbuck3733T Look out sugar, here it comes

1.) white wire is CCFL lead, which has since been sleeved with flexo 'carbon' (gray and white woven together, using it for fans and lights as opposed to flexo black for power lines'

2.) Additive is Zerex dexcool compliant antifreeze, which has clouded my tubes (you can tell in some of the other photos.) The flash seems to intensify the orange color of it mixed in with the water (2 oz to ~62oz.) It really looks more like amniotic fluid.

Thanks for the compliments!

@All of you who wanted an overall shot: what angles are we talking here? I haven't done anything to the rest (including the freaking top, which is being a pain about sliding in, need to buy a rubber mallet I do).... There's really not much to look at.

@ALL: If I posted a layered photoshop file, would you like to take a crack at making a window design for me? If possible I'd mail the winner some of pennsylvania's finest beer (is that even legal if the reciever is of age?)

4. FlashPanHunter

FlashPanHunter What's a Dremel?

Heck Ill take a crack at it.

5. dream caster

dream caster just lurking from out there

Your cable managementis rather good!

three ideas:
    cut to lenght your disk drives power wires and eliminate those you don't need,
    use a black wire for your CCFL and run it behind your disk cage;
    may be you can try to fix your SCSI cables to the edge of your motherboard tray and then to the bottom of case
    (with zip ties and double sided foam)

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

That is just looking too darn tasty! :rock: Great stuff!

7. Starbuck3733T

@FlashPanHunter: I'll try to remember to upload the current photoshop file tonite, or make a new one (the current one is w\o the new lights and before the chassis was powdercoated)

@Dream Caster: Thanks very much, i was beggining to worry. I dont want to hack off my unused molexes, I may need them in the (near) future. I know i need at least 1 more for the radeon card. But like I said (but have not posted visual proof) all the drives are now on the same chain of molexes, and it looks much better. I broke out my 90* molexes last night and put one on so I could make the stretch. The bad thing is that the 90* molex is white. No biggie though, but I'm not sure if the rest of the lot will even take vinyl dye. The SCSI cable for the hard drives isn't an issue, I got it neatly tucked away last night. The one for the opticals may still be, but I have to get a longer one first.

@Nexxo: Thanks and more thanks. Like I said, I was feeling really down about this project looking crappy, you all have improved my outlook a bit!

8. Starbuck3733T

Okay, I said I cleaned up some of the wiring, so bear witness! I think it looks much better now. I'm starting to feel good about this project again! Now where's that misplaced $600US for my video card and ram :eyebrow: :D

Anyway...
    Notice the single string of molexes running the drives. Much better. I tied up and hid the spare 3 connectors for the u160 SCSI cable under neath the bottom drive bay. I still haven't put my 2nd optical back in, for the reasons mentioned in the posts above this one ;)
    [​IMG]

Wow. The blue towel I had under the case was really making things look arse-tackular. With the Akasa paxmate sheets in to accompany the thicker packing foam for the pump, things look much cleaner.
    [​IMG]

Close-up of the tiding. You can see my spice where I put in the (white ARG!!, wont take dye) 90* molex connector. I also spaced the drives apart to give them slightly better ventilation for the time being. When I get my next set of richco anti-vibration mounts, or built the silencing enclosure for the 10K SCSIs, I'll be installing a 120GB fluid-bearing maxtor in that empty spot.
    [​IMG]

And for those who would like to try their hand at making me a side window...
    A layered photoshop file of goliath (pre-powdercoat)is available (1.86MB). A new one will be made as soon as I figure out how to steady the camera again, can't remember how i did it the first time.

If you want all 20MB of the hi-res, we'll have to figure out a better way of transferring it!

I'm also noticing something,my finepix 3800 seems to distort the images I shoot slightly, a mild fisheye effect. Wierd.

On the subject UV lighting, it looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and go to smaller 4" UV CCFLs to fit them inside the case. I just can't position the big 12"s where I need them. Oh well. That and the new SCSI cable will be ordered from SVC as soon as I get paid :judge:.

That's all, please email any mods you make to my photoshop file (once you zip it back up) to starbuck3733t AT adelphia D0T net, mmmk?

I'm looking forward to seeing what my fellow modders can do to that file! Let your imagination run wild.

Comments? Questions? Insults?!? :D

9. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My feeble attempts at windowing your rig.

Your work looks nice ;)

10. bsodmike

bsodmike Banned

I see you were bored :p :D

11. Starbuck3733T

@Yo-DUH: Feeble, but the point is you tried! thanks!

@bsodmike: You know you want to try ;) Take a break from Mithril and give it a whirl :eyebrow: :p

----

Decisions, decisions.

The company I bought my 5 position SCSI cable from no longer sells that particular cable, which sucks. The problem is that all the other 68 pin silver-braided cables I look at do not have the attachment for the SCSI u160 terminator, which is basically a connector on backwards at the very end of the cable, and having the terminator connected to it is its only purpose. This SUCKS. So what I may do is to get a 50 pin flat cable and round/sleeve it with the flexo loom I have now.

Also, with some measuring I've determined that 2 or 3 4" UV CCFLs will do the trick, and be much easier to position.

12. bsodmike

bsodmike Banned

13. Starbuck3733T

HAHA!

Nice and intimidating though ;)

14. bsodmike

bsodmike Banned

Imagine lighting that up ;)

15. Wicked Li'l Bender

Wicked Li'l Bender What's a Dremel?

You need a cutout of Courage the Cowardly Dog on the side of the case... That or Ren and Stimpy....

16. Seal

Seal What's a Dremel?

l33t

17. Starbuck3733T

:confused: :D :confused:
    Of what do you speak?

@Wicked Little Blender: Why do you say that?

18. DeViLSpArK

DeViLSpArK What's a Dremel?

here my creation :eyebrow: :D

[​IMG]

19. Starbuck3733T

Well, i'm going to crash-course the way the photoshop file is supposed to work cuz it seems some of you might be getting a shade confused :worried: I'm not trying to be a ****** either, I just realize that I may be more competent in photoshop than others (hey I've used it for 7 years now)

Anyway, in the PSD file there is a layer called "Side Door" that has (its the top layer). That layer has a mask applied to it, that creates the window. What you want to do is remove my mask, do this by right clicking on the mask (the black and white bit to the right of the thumbnail) and click "Discard Layer Mask", if it asks you to if you want to apply it , click no.

Now that we have a full case door to play with, click on the side door layer and click on the mask button at the bottom of the layers palette (it looks like a gray rectangle with a white circle in the middle).

You'll see once again that a white box appears next to the side door layer's thumbnail. Click on it, now you're editing the mask. You can paint black (layer will be transparent where the black is) or white (layer will be opaque where the white is) or a shade of gray (you get the idea). If you mess up, you can paint white over black and it will change back, this is why masks are better than editing the actual image's transparency.

You can use any of the standard tools on a mask... the window that it comes with I did using a combination of round and straight selections to paint that cut-off oval on the side. Originally I had planned to put some original artwork in there (based on a few of my favorite game characters, but i can't find the darn artwork now! all that time wasted! :wallbash: )

If you have an PS questions, don't hesitate to ask. Also, the file was saved out of PS7 (no updates), if that matters. I know opening a 7 file in PS6 will hose some of the color correction, but I've only experienced that in CMYK so I'm not sure if it applies to RGB too.

20. Seal

Seal What's a Dremel?

.... to subscribe to the thread :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.