1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MODS PLEASE LOCK - MOVED TO NEW FORUM :D!!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Starbuck3733T, 2 Sep 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarcelloRupelli

MarcelloRupelli What's a Dremel?

The current powdercoating is dealing with is a high voltage, electrostatic charge. Something like 20,000volts I believe. I think most plastics deal with that okay, they just melt when you put them in the baking oven at 400degrees F. So if the JB Weld doesn't melt, all should be well :D

2. Starbuck3733T

Starbuck3733T Look out sugar, here it comes

Re: Powdercoating JBWeld

I put my meter on the JBweld, and it registered no conductivity. JB weld is a non-ferrous substrate and must be powdercoated using the negative charge method. A quote from my project over @ ArsTechnica forums (my homeworld ;))

3. BlackMan

BlackMan Minimodder

looking very good so far, and where are you getting it poweder coated, are you sending it out or is it done where you are?

keep up the good work :clap:

4. Starbuck3733T

BlackMan: The powdercoater's shop is about 5 minutes by car from my house. What can I say, I lucked out. It's a big industrial operation. My workplace powdercoats metal parts on the furniture they make, and they buy their supplies from these guys. I didn't have my work do it b/c they're retarded over in that division, for the most part. I didn't trust my baby to some floor worker who sprays powder onto library furniture.

5. MarcelloRupelli

MarcelloRupelli What's a Dremel?

LOL! I know what you mean. We've got a powder line here too, but it takes an operator with a brain to get good results :hehe: When you see big clumps of paint on parts, or missed spots it makes you think twice about running valuable, one-off parts thru it. We (StageRight.com) are expanding the building soon and with it, installing a new powder coat line. It'll have an automatic booth dedicated to mainly flat black, but it'll also have a 'spray-to-waste' booth for odd colors. I'll most likely pick up a box of some different gloss colors and spray my own parts.

6. Visualaid

Visualaid What's a Dremel?

my dad'w work has a powdercoating machine he's the 2nd boss of the place it's brand new and they've got a sprayer who's worked for their for them for like 16 years he's damn good :D.

but i'm not going getting my nice Coolermaster 210 covered now am i :D.

7. PhatMatt

PhatMatt What's a Dremel?

I'm lookin to powdercoat my case, how much is it lookin like to get yours done?

8. Starbuck3733T

9. PhatMatt

'nother question:
    Why do you have the blue LED on your NIC just shining into the case? Or am I perceiving this totally wrong?

10. Starbuck3733T

I was bored and needed to mod something. Its not really shining into the case so much as the 5mm LED was too big to bend to shine out the back plate. With the difuser sanded it looks kinda ghey so I'll probably replace it with a white one. Maybe mod the bracket for the nic.

11. o0mercer0o

o0mercer0o What's a Dremel?

Great work!
    The Yuengling coozie is making me thirsty
    *checks fridge*:duh: all out!!! :waah: I guess I'll have to make a run tonight.

12. Starbuck3733T

Hahaha... the sad thing is that im sure it was either Coke or white grape juice in that cup. I'm uncivilized and drink my beer straight from the bottle ;)

On thursday, it will have been 2 weeks. I hope that its done by then :sigh:

13. Starbuck3733T

Well, I'd have to say that the results were mixed. Not because of the work done by the powdercoater, but because of not giving proper instructions.

The drive cages, PSU bracket, drive railes, and mobo back plate got gloss black. Everything else got textured flat black.

1.) JBWeld will survive the bake oven, not the burn off oven (800*F, as opposed to 400*F, JBweld only good to 600*F)
    2.) They did not burn off my parts
    3.) They DID hot acid tank them. removes grease BUT NOT DEBRIS.
    4.) The JBweld outgassed (hence it looking like ass in the pictures below) during the powder bake. All the other parts came out VERY nicely.
    5.) The dimensions were altered a bit, so a rubber mallet is a good thing to have during reassembly.

Onto the pictures! other than the back plate, which is probably going to get some custom plexi work (decorative, functional) to hide the ugly bits.

They wrapped all my parts up individually in industrial cling wrap when they were done coating them.
    [​IMG]

Gloss black RAL9005 epoxy. Note the reflection of my workbench in the front of the drive caddy. SWEET.
    [​IMG]

Back plate. All the unevenness was caused by the outgassing of un-reacted compounds in the jbweld during the baking process :waah: :eeek: :waah:
    [​IMG]

But here's the bright side, PURE SEX BLACK and LOTS of it!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Installed my drives and my cages. This required some bending the two pieces that make up the drive cage recievers. The powdercoat altered the dimensions enough for the already VERY tight cages to become impossible to insert w\o modification. Believe me, I had to use combination of rubber gripped plyers and a small hammer to get my slot load DVD back out :(. No problem though, as its rated for lots of non-operating shock :duh: :p
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nice reflection of my camera above the dvdrom. The drive rails and cages all got gloss black while the rest of the case got matte black. The gloss shows finger prints, but the flat textured doesn't show them nearly as easily.
    [​IMG]

PSU plate. Lovely contrast between flat black and gloss.
    [​IMG]

Check out the reflection in the bottom of the PSU (Painted a few months ago, obviously). The mesh and all the black, all the reflections, its all just melting into one. Look into the black and see nothing /wierdvoice.
    [​IMG]

Installed my drives. Even with the rubber dampers installed in the case they are still a bit noisy, so somewhere down the line I'd like to make a hard drive waterblock, as well as an enclosure w\ lots of sound insulation to house them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

COmments??? Feedback please :D

Last edited: 16 Feb 2004
  14. PhatMatt

lookin nice buddy! Too bad about the JB weld crap though, I now know not to go that route.

And is that a WD Raptor I see on the bottom?

15. Starbuck3733T

No raptors, something better. :D Quantum (now maxtor) Atlas 10K III (10,000 rpm ultra 160 disk, 8MB cache, AV rated). Two of them even :hip:

16. PhatMatt

sexy, very sexy. I think I'm gonna update my project log in a few minutes. I came up with a new idea for the window :)

17. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

Too bad about the jbweld, you worked so hard on that :waah:

Looks very nice though, classy stuff :thumb:

You didn't have the fronts of your drives done, naughty you :nono: How are you going to hide those?

18. BlackMan

BlackMan Minimodder

very nice, but thoes drives stand out a bit, they have to be fixed some how

19. Starbuck3733T

BlackMan & Yo-DUH: Part of this project, outlined somewhere in my big arse too-do list is "custom front bezel". Neither of those drives will be retaining their stock bezels. The tray on the CDRW will be vinyl dyed black. The front bezel will probably get a treatment similar to (I forget the project name) the lianli that got a new front bezel, but without all the buttonage.

The goal for the bezel is for the machine to look like a monolith* when off, and come to life when on. In off state, there would be little to no indication that the box is a computer... just a big, dark colored box.

As far as the drive shells (the metal bits) I will probably get some more fake carbon fiber tape and apply that to the shells.

20. FlashPanHunter

FlashPanHunter What's a Dremel?

Looks great, but its a shame about the back plate. What are you making the front bezel out of? What you could do is use the same concept on the back , sort of round the thing out, and cover up the problem with out too much headache. Also whats going on with the top part with the mesh for the rad? I havent seen that part in a while, but it was looking really nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.