1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: WET WEEKEND

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by fatty, 19 May 2005.

1. fatty

fatty Minimodder

Ok a while ago I stumbled across a stash of water chillers from drink machines and I thought to myself hmmmmm watercooling better yet very cold water cooling.....So I sold a few and kept a few
    Now I have been trying to find the best place to stick one of these units and I though I like the way a mach1/mach2 prometeia case fits under a pc very neat, so I purchased one and went about fitting it :)
    ( I haven't installed my ftp server apps yet so I will be a little while with more pics )

[​IMG]

will resize when I up load pics

2. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

Nice idea :) should be very cool!

3. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

Lay off the pun-ishment will you! This looks interesting though. Has anyone else used commercial cooling in a case before?

- H.

4. nick[x1]

nick[x1] What's a Dremel?

This is a great idea, make sure you post lots of pics :)
    If it works well i might be tempted to go back onto watercooling :eek:

5. -Erik-

-Erik- Guest

Interesting is: How cold is the water now?

6. fatty

fatty Minimodder

I had the chiller down to 2 degrees then it shuts off and back on again at 4 degrees C

I do have a load of pics but I cant post in here because they are not on my website

7. BrokeEnthusiast

BrokeEnthusiast What's a Dremel?

UPLOAD THEM!!!

8. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

these compressors will work very mucht eh same as those in a freezer or fridge.
    which means they r not ment to run 24/7.

ur freezer dosnt run 24/7, the compressor only turns on wen things start to heat up and reduces them back to ur set temprature. (easy enough as frozen food dosnt put out much heat :p)

However a comp puts out constant heat so the compressor willbe working over time, i wouldnt be surprised to see it die rather quickly.

9. BrokeEnthusiast

BrokeEnthusiast What's a Dremel?

When the compressor is turned off, there will not be waterflow, so how would it keep cooling?

10. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Refridgerators tend to be very well insulated. Notice that they usually kick on after the door has been opened...

He is right about the compressors though, most are not made to be run non-stop. Often they will actually freeze up. Not too mention the condensation issues you will need to address...

11. disco volante

disco volante What's a Dremel?

The compressor only affects the coolent. The water runs through a heat exchanger, and it's driven by the pump. The compressor not running has no effect on water flow.

Here's my take on the duty-cycle problem. The bigger the resevoir, the better. Because, I think it would be easier for the compressor to cool down a big (insulated) tank of water, shut off, and let the water circulate. This would increase the actual amount of work the compressor has to do per cycle, but it would make the cycles much less frequent.

Also, if you have two, you can alternate them for redundancy.

12. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

like a watertank for a boiler (i think it's that) just to cool water down instead of heating it up

13. fatty

fatty Minimodder

OK as for a refrigeration compressor it will run 24/7 no problems as long as the refrigerant isn't flooding back to the compressor disapating the oil etc and as long as the compressor runs at a suitable temperature
    Also it will have problems if it short cycles ie stops and starts too often and yes I am a HVAC engineer I do a lot of prometia work and people do run their proms 24/7

14. fatty

fatty Minimodder

OK the mach1 case has been gutted and the chiller chopped up to see if it fits

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the brazing together

[​IMG]

15. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

when its finish lets see the water temp.
    where did you get that water cooler

Last edited: 19 May 2005
  16. fatty

fatty Minimodder

Funny you should ask bit of testing on a simple loop

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

polishing the case

[​IMG]

17. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

nice temps. remember insulation.
    btv. where is it possible to get those watercoolers

Last edited: 19 May 2005
  18. vapb400

vapb400 What's a Dremel?

so what does each part do? I see the compressor, and heat exchanger, but what is the black box where the green tubing comes out of?

Would you be able to run the loop without the compressor on? and only turn on the compressor when benching/gaming?

19. c.u.later

c.u.later What's a Dremel?

hi fatty!

i bought one of these units and so far its working great, i cant wait to see wot u do to yours, as your so good at things like this.

@vapb4000 the "black box" is the actual part the water goes through which is wrapped in copper piping to cool it down.
    also, the compressor is the actual bit which keeps the refrigerant cooling the water, so i dont think thats possible as the water would heat up too quickly

20. FliesLikeABrick

FliesLikeABrick What's a Dremel?

im not sure which black box you are talking about, but the big one is the resivoir, the small one is his waterblock