1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows Blue to launch in August, claims source

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 25 Feb 2013.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Must disagree. There are almost no appreciable differences between iOS 4 and 6 (except demand on CPU). Windows Vista to Windows 8 is a massive performance jump.

Android 2.2.2 to 4.x is the only huge leap forward I can think of.

Windows 8 and RT are introducing a new paradigm so there will be some heavy refinement going on. No reason however why this couldn't happen with usual updates (the most recent RT update resulted in a significant performance hike), but it is as Goodbytes says: everybody now expects yearly upgrades --especially with mobiles. If Microsoft wants OS consistency across all devices it has to adopt a relatively synchronous update schedule.

2. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

It's all good, probably wasn't as clear as it should have been :D

If they were to go the Apple route, then I don't really see how it would affect businesses much. I mean if somebody wanted to remain stable with an OS, they simply don't upgrade for several years, leading to the same cycle as normal. Pretty much all software on OSX works within several software generations. It's usually quite a while before the old stuff is phased out, even then it's the developer's decision whether to produce packages for the older versions.

Having smaller, yet more numerous updates could have some real compatibility benefits, with fewer changes along the way so fewer rogue variables. It could, however, if implemented poorly, result in a very heavy system after a few releases. If they keep tacking stuff on with updates, then I won't be too happy. It also means that they have the opportunity, as stated, to adapt quicker to the ever changing computing space. IMO this could be a very good move, especially if the upgrade costs are kept minimal. I happily updated my OS every release when I was a mac user, looked forward to what would be implemented each iteration.

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

The feature list between Vista and 7 was huge, same for 7 to 8. If you decide to ignore them, than that's not my problem. Why do you think you have people making fun at Apple at going "Apple charges you for Service Packs". Well I don't expect Microsoft to be like in Apple situation, and have more content in their updates, none the less, my point is that the feature list of Windows, on a new Windows is excessively long, hence why people are making fun of Apple MacOS update.

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Maki role has a point, if you don't want to upgrade you don't have to.
    I think the main question is are they going to keep the same extended support. I.e security updates etc.
    I cant see them wanting to support a OS that is 10+ version old.

5. stanonwheels

stanonwheels What's a Dremel?

Vista was ****, but they refined it into 7, which is may favorite OS to date. I'm hoping something similar happens with 8 and Blue.

6. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

And in other news Saddam Hussein was a nicer bloke than Adolf Hitler.

Guest-16 likes this.
  7. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Enterprises would have to be on W8 to feel any difference. Most are on XP or W7.

8. danwat1234

danwat1234 What's a Dremel?

I wonder if Windows Blue will have the same problem that XP, Vista, 7 and 8 have; Explorer.exe does not officially support file path lengths larger than 255 characters. This is highly annoying when dealing with nested folders in My Documents and other situations. I use Total Commander to take care of business.
    NTFS supports file path lengths of up to around 30,000 characters so why is explorer.exe use/have APIs that are back in the stone age of computing?

9. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I don't think this is common problem, so I don't think its even in the radar of Microsoft.
    Then again, you don't need book length file name.

Its part of those never be fixed bugs and issue of Windows, like how the mouse looses its shadows in after playing a game (not all games). Or how you open the Windows calculator and do: square root of 4 -> [=] (you get 2), then you do -2 on it -> [=]. You should get 0, but you don't.

Last edited: 26 Feb 2013
  10. Xir

Xir Modder

This...and there's the Win8 dilemma.
    Why they can't (won't) offer a corporate version that has metro as an option only is beyond me.

In other words, it's Win8 SP1...move on nothing to see :D

11. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Which is why I see this as a marketing led exercise, XP SP had some press coverage but home users couldn't tell you why it was better to have SP3 but now its Windows BLUE! New, More Shiny! and Greater! When in actual fact, like most windows releases, its the one that should have been shipped 12 months ago.

12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Not exactly: leaked screenshots show that Windows Blue has a new kernel revision: Version 6.3, compared to Windows 8's Version 6.2. That's an important distinction: all versions of Windows 7 ran kernel Version 6.1, while all versions of Windows Vista ran Version 6.0 - regardless of Service Pack status.

In other words: Windows Blue appears to be a milestone release, not a mere Service Pack. Now, it's not impossible that Microsoft is fudging the numbers - there's nothing to stop it sticking a Version 42.0 label on any damn kernel it likes - but indications are that Blue is a little more than just Windows 8 SP1, regardless of its cost or how Microsoft intends to market it.