1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware HP LP2475w - 24in widescreen TFT review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 28 Jul 2009.

1. antaresIII

antaresIII tephigram

I meant when you turn the monitor off with the PC running and then you turn on again (on simple monitors you get the picture at once).

2. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

It's true a CRT has practically no input lag but the 3007WFP-HC is pretty much the fastest panel around as it has no post processing. We feel it's more appropriate to compare new monitors to a TFT that's the best in it's field in terms of input lag like we would a slow graphics card to fast graphics card. After all, you wouldn't go out and buy a CRT instead would you?

In all the tests we've done, the difference in input lag has been consistant where there was any with 1ms difference at most in our test after several goes so we have complete confidence in it's ability to produce repeatable results.

3. FreQ

FreQ What's a Dremel?

I ordered a LP2475w off ebuyer a couple of days ago and it's been shipped. Once it arrives, I'll check the manufactured date and model revision.

Does it say anything on the box or do you have to open it to check?

Making sure it's an H-IPS

Got Monitor rev143 and firmware068. Looks like a pretty good one, only IT Troll has something newer.

Last edited: 15 Sep 2009
  4. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

Quote: " 1,920 x 1,200 resolution means that you can play 1080p video without the need to crop "

That is not totally true.

1080p is 1,920 x 1,080 resolution.

You can't fit a 1080p movie in this monitor's screen without either cropping, or using black bars to fill the sides, or stretching the vertical lines so that peoples faces and objects in the movies look warped and skinny.

I heard that PC monitor manufacturers choose to use the 16:10 aspect ratio instead of the proper widescreen aspect ratio of 16:9 because they want to give the PC user the ability to fit the video AND windows taskbar on the screen together at the same time. If this is true, then it doesn't make any sense. People who watch movies on their PCs don't want to watch the taskbar. As soon as the movie begins, people tend to put the movie on full screen mode.

Anyway, apart from the negative 16:10 aspect ratio objection, this screen definitely looks good. I like the thin symmetrical neat bezel. A few of these screens would be good for multi-screen gaming.

5. SinnerG

SinnerG What's a Dremel?

I'm horribly confused.

I'm still running on a Philips 19" CRT and have been for 6 years now as I've had no intention of purchasing a TN panel. Finding a IPS panel in South Africa has been a long wait. I'm a reseller of hardware and one of my suppliers has this HP panel, but they might have had it long enough for it to be an older revision. I'm not sure if they'll open the box to confirm before I purchase.

I'm not too comfortable with the stories about squealing and the odd colour shifts on the new panels. Do those colour issues go away with calibration?

The other monitor I might look at is the NEC LCD2490WUXi2. It has a less wide colour gamut than the HP, but has a A-TW polarizer. On tftcentral it achieved better calibration results than the HP, but lost out on black level. When that came right, it wound up having less accuracy than the HP. An article on X-bit as found through tftcentral shows that a wider gamut isn't always the best.

Has anyone here had the HP and the NEC together at the same time or actually have both of them to offer an honest comparison between the 2? Should I be worried about the unit(s) my supplier is offering or perhaps worried about the longevity of the HP (those squealing noises usually lead to a dead LCD in my experience) or should I just suck it up and ask the NEC rep for a LCD2490WUXi2 and go for brokedom?

6. SinnerG

SinnerG What's a Dremel?

Might have solved my dilemna... NEC doesn't have HDMI, component, composite or s-video inputs. Need this thing to hook up to an analog source (D-SUB) as well as a digital (DVI or HDMI) source with possibility of component as well. :p

7. Zeali

Zeali What's a Dremel?

Hi. I found a new version of this. Does anyone got idea if this has a H-IPS panel?

Manufacture date: October 2009
    Rev GIG153
    Firmware Rev. GIG076
    Model no: KD911AT HSTND-2421-A

Last edited: 20 Nov 2009
  8. DrewBear11

DrewBear11 What's a Dremel?

So whats involved in ensuring that the monitor i buy is the newer panel ? Is it really a complete gamble ?

9. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Not really as both the S-IPS and H-IPS versions are excellent.

10. Carris

Carris Of the Illuminate

This is most undoubtedly an awesome monitor.
    I have just recieved mine today and thought I'd post here so folk would know where to get a new revision from.
    I ordered mine from Expansis (UK store) and I must say the experience was fantastic. They did everything they could to help.
    In the end I recieved a monitor with:

Manufacturing date- Feb 2010,
    Monitor Rev- GIG:173 and
    F/W Rev- GIG:077

11. Garside

Garside What's a Dremel?

Tags: Add Tags