1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Linux CLI 101

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 6 Sep 2007.

1. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

but i already have the windows open
    and the commonly used trees are already expanded, its just 3 clicks, one to select the folder one to drag and one to select copy/move/shortcut if neccesary
    90% of my file management tasks are moving stuff from local incoming to fileserver
    its vastly easier to click one folder, right click + drag to the correct folder on the other explorer window (open side-by-side) and move it

edit: also it drives me nuts not having a graphical representation of my whole folder structure
    i may know it inside out but i still dislike having no graphical version

i got lost browsing my fileserver last time i had linux up and running, which was ridiculous :p

2. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

you can use WinSCP to get a graphical view of a Linux file system on windows, and it just uses SSH

Personally, i think both have merits, but its nice to have the option of the command line, something windows doesn't give you

3. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Code:
    pwd
    ;)

4. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

not even close to being the same as having a graphical tree view of your folder structure :p

edit:
    part of it might just be i really dislike the linux default directory structure
    i think for all windows' faults having all your system files in /windows and all your apps in subfolders of /program files and all your datafile collected together is much neater and much more logical than having all your config files for everything under /etc/ and having all your binaries under /bin and the like
    and i know there are technical reasons for it and i have gotten used to it, doesnt really bother me as much as it used to
    still cant help thinking its very unintuitive

5. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Actually it isn't... Your system is /, and under that you have all the things, sorted by category... Configs in 1 place (system wide ones), shared stuff, logs,... For instance /home, all the userdirs. The way it's under Linux you just need to mount a partition/device under /home and all the user data goes on a separate (safe) device. No 10 drives/partitions, that seem apart, but actually are all in the same system...

Also from a multi-user, security stance, it's logical to have the things users can alter (/home) together, system settings (/etc) together, libraries (/usr/share) together...

No need to allow users global writing privileges to mess up add on software (like it's needed mostly in Windows, to have a sort of usable system)

But that's just my opinion

EDIT
    Code:
    ls *
    gives some nice things too ;)

6. statmonkey

statmonkey What's a Dremel?

Great guide, finding myself using my win box less and less. htop is fantastic a lot of this I had forgotten in my time away from Linux. The only problem I have now is playing around with Nomachine and getting Webmin so I can access from XP without the security issues. The bash tutorial was also excellent. Please keep these coming Glider. Also thanks for all your help when I have had "issues/brain farts"

Tags: Add Tags