1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Portal 2 Countdown Timer Reaches Zero

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 15 Apr 2011.

1. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

2. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

I appreciate that the surge of sales for the Potato Sack will no doubt put a smile on the face of the indie devs that worked on the included games...

But I can't help but feel slightly bitter about this 'early release' marketing tactic considering little shites have been pirating both the PS3 and Xbox360 version for the past 48hrs.

3. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

The whole thing is a brilliant example of how to build up hype for a game. Well done Valve! :)

4. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Couldn't care less. The official release is hardly a long time away, and Valve are trying to wring another £30 out of everybody for the Potato Sack - yes some of that will go to the developers, the rest continues to line Gabe Newell's pockets. Masterful marketing stroke by Valve - hype over one game leads to sales of 13 others! You all got diddled :)

So I'm happy to wait for my PS3 copy to arrive, especially as I get the PC/Mac copy as well for the same price.

5. Deders

Deders Modder

Do they really think that after the last ordeal i went through with Aperture Science that I'm likely to believe anything that has anything to do with GladOS?

6. Jaffo

Jaffo What's a Dremel?

It'd be unlocked by now if Minecraft was on Steam

:)

7. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Unimpressed, by the time all these cpu's are being used it will be so close to the actual release date as to not matter. Whatever, I'm going to boot up bit trip and go back to sleep.

8. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

We never lost anything because the official launch has always been the 19th (except previous unavoidable delays). The ARG has been huge fun for lots of people (I'm a spectator) and I think it is insane the lengths Valve has gone to hide messages with audio files etc, but even more so that the deciphering and solving by Steam users is the sort of thing Bletchley Park would be proud of. Valve was never going to release Portal2 today which explains the new countdown, potato count system for early release and the artwork revealed for countdown 2. However, maybe they could have prevented us all from mis-reading the situation and pinning our hopes on playing P2 today ... I bet they won't be doing it like this again though. Nevermind!

tennisball likes this.
  9. tennisball

tennisball [Insert witty comment here]

^Exactly what he said.

10. Ice Maiden

Ice Maiden What's a Dremel?

Woooooooooo let me play, unlocked soon, give give give :p

11. Telltale Boy

Telltale Boy Designated CPC Jetwhore

+1

Personally I bow down to Valve as the new hype kings, and not false or anticlimatic hype. This ARG had definitely been one of the most exciting and interesting launches ever, you really feel how the whole community is discovering and unlocking the game.

12. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Erm... Has anyone else who's pre-ordered played Audiosurf since pre-loading? I've just played as chel, through some song with GLaDOS, with only 2 coloured blocks and the WCC...

13. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

14. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

15. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Liking it. In fact, liking most Valve does.

And atleast they have a reputation of also delivering, it's not just pointless hype :)

16. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

I have a few games, namely SMB, 1,2,3 Kick It and Audiosurf on Steam, as well as a few others that aren't registered on Steam. As such, the pack represents really poor value for me (as with a lot of packs now - Steam has bled me dry!) and even this won't push me to buy it.

Still, if me playing the games I have will push forward the release I'm in. That is, so long as my games do it - it would be annoying if it didn't count since they were bought before the sack deal.

17. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Looking at rate the total meter goes up, it won't be released sooner. 4-5% in 4 hours means 95-96 hours till end - and the standard timer will expire sooner than that.

18. The Hooded Claw

The Hooded Claw What's a Dremel?

The timer is a lie.

19. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

I think it will come out about half a day earlier. Or I hope so, just so that the ARG isn't entirely without point, also it means playing it at normal hours for me. The default release time is 2am NZ.

20. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

But remember that it is a friday, I'm guessing a nice spike this evening, and high participation through the weekend

Tags: Add Tags