1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Today I learned (TIL)........

Discussion in 'General' started by Kronos, 20 Jan 2018.

1. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

As they say, "steel is real."

Vault-Tec likes this.
  2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

That they have remade Child's Play. Is it as s**t as it looks?

3. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Well it scored just over 50% on Rotten Tomatoes (not even Mark Hamill's voice could save it), but despite that it still made about $45m when it was released last year.
    It looks like the shtick they used to update the original was "technology is bad, mmkay?".

4. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

... that life w/o a blu-ray remote is horrible; replacement arrived this morning so options are restored.

5. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

That the last surviving member of my Grandfather's regiment celebrated his 95th birthday this week.

IanW and Arboreal like this.
  6. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

... sometimes you just need to crawl into a corner & stay there until you feel like you want to be part of a world that you (ultimately) don't feel you fit into.

7. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

... ADRENO (a graphics tech) is an anagram of RADEON, the technology it is based on.

8. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

So is A NERDO.

9. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Today I learned why Alphonso (one of my 2 cats) love sticks so much. he brings them in the house all the time, plays with them, basically collects them. Sometimes they will just pile up by the back door. Never really occurred to me to question why so many, until this evening.

I walked to the kitchen to grab a drink and spied a small branch on the floor, always amazes me how he manages to pull them through the catflap. I went to pick it up and noticed there was something else on the floor, little bits of something. I look a little further down the kitchen to find a big lump of something, something that was likely holding onto that branch when it was captured and/or died.

When I was clearing up the feathers it dawned on me, why Alph collects sticks like he does. He's building a bird's nest, to lure and trap unsuspecting prey, but he does it outside the catflap so he can do it it the comfort and warmth of the house.
    [​IMG]

keef247, legoman and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  10. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I was yesterday years old when I learned that Maplin is back as an online-only retailer.
    They've almost completely dropped electronic components though.

11. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

DDR3 and DDR3L RAM don't mix despite looking the same. Has been driving me mental all afternoon.

12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

This isn't quite 'ruining my life', so I'm reviving this thread!

Not all PowerMac G4 CPU cards are the same... Current on the left, upgrade that doesn't fit on the right....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Completely different layout, and not a hope in hell of just trying to wang it in there anyway (that's what she said) since it would block the RAM slots. Edit: Plus the heatsink mounting holes are completely different. Shame, I quite liked the idea of going from 733MHz to 1GHz in the Chonky Boi.

Although I do appreciate the engineering effort that went into designing these mezzanine-style CPU cards. It's clearly not an efficient design for modern systems, but a lot of people put a lot of effort into the design of these. And IIRC that socket is a custom-made interconnect.

13. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

This being the internet, aren't there adapters?

14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

There might be, but tbh I'm not even sure what I'd be looking for. There was definitely a small market for third-party upgrade cards, but damned if I can find any now.

There's no point putting too much money in this machine tbh. You can get a dual processor PowerMac G5, the most powerful PowerPC-based Mac, for around £60-£100 (plus delivery). I paid £32 for this machine, and by the time I'm done I'll have spent about £30 in upgrades and addons; I have no personal ties to these machines, so it's not really economically viable to keep throwing money at it. Especially when I'm already considering getting a dual processor PowerMac G5 :grin:.

No, the real reason I bought it was to play around with MorphOS, and this machine is already good enough for that.

Last edited: 5 Aug 2020
  15. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

The Cowboy from innerspace
    [​IMG]

Is Robert Picardo. The hologram doctor from voyager
    [​IMG]

Was a sudden realisation when talking about a bit in one of the Division 2 missions that reminds me of inner space.

IanW and adidan like this.
  16. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

He has been in soooooo much, including some CoD gamed IIRC.

17. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

He's been in all 4 Black Ops games so far either as a voice actor or voicing a character modelled on him. In one of them he appears as an evil doctor, IIRC it's BlOps 3.

18. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

He's also the guy trapped in the restroom with the girl gremlin in Gremlins 2

19. adidan

Looking at his imdb imdb probably easier to list what he hasn't been in.

Very busy chappy.

IanW and The_Crapman like this.
  20. adidan

TIL that Jensen's uncle is Dr Lisa Su's grandad.

* hides back under rock *