1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Brief word on Specialized tyres: I work in one of the largest specialized retailers in the country, and we carry just about every iteration of their components available, thus I've had ample opportunity to not just use their products, but also to talk to other people whom use their products. As such, I'd say the Specialized road tyres are among the worst rolling tyres for their price, with the armadillo's being markedly worse. Don't get me wrong, if you're just commuting and keeping slow, they're great insofar as longevity, durability, and puncture protection, but the compound has very poor characteristics for the price range.

They're slow, bouncy, and tend to squirm when pressed. Despite the ability for me to get these tyres for free (or next to it), I still opt for either Vittoria or Schwalbe on the road. If you're commuting I don't think I would recommend a tyre other than Vittoria's Randonneur Pro tyre - durable, fast, great water characteristics, supple but responsive compound, and good weight (they feel quite like a tubular). I have this tyre on my touring bike, as well as several other people at my work - not a single one of us would rather anything else on this type of bicycle. If you want something nippy, light, and extremely grippy than look no further than Schwalbe's Ultremo R.1. The only issue I have with them is in cold weather, as they don't get much grip, leaving me spinning under extreme acceleration off the line.

Onto locks: I've used a small U-lock (smaller the better) and a heavy braided cable for the occasion that I need to lock up, but I avoid that at all costs. Incidentally this also happens to be exactly what the lock companies say to use in high-risk situations, as the two different locking systems require different tools to defeat, and the small U-lock is resistant to pry-attacks, which the larger ones falter with. But honestly your best advice is just not to lock, and keep your bicycle with you whenever you can - everywhere that I've ever worked has allowed me to bring my bicycle in provided I cleaned up after it, and kept it out of the way. Another option would be an attack-monkey. Nothings getting past that.

mars-bar-man likes this.
  2. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

This :thumb:

You've met my wife then?

3. bagman

bagman Minimodder

this is my bike it is a scott sub 35
    [​IMG]
    these are the two locks i use for my bike, I am not taking any chances especially as my bike was stolen in the first week i was at college
    [​IMG]

any way on the subject of tyres should i get my own pair of tyres? the ones i have at the moment are Continental Sport Contact 622-32C

and are my rims good enough to take a new set of tyres of my choice? they are Alex SUB 700C, 32H, black anodized for disc

generally though I am very happy with my new bike it is the perfect commuters bike, low maintenance, integral gears 8 of them the perfect amount I fond I never find that I need a extra gear ever also they aren't like the old integral gears which where terrible these actually work. for example i can be stationary and change gear from 8th to 1st and it will do instantly and the change never jumps off or gets worn away as it doesn't change position all the time. the bike also has everything locked down there are no quick release bits so no one can run off with your front wheel or saddle

4. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

My bikes never get locked up in public. If I'm riding somewhere that requires me to lock up my bike it'll probably be a job for my antique road bike which nobody would want to steal.

5. bagman

bagman Minimodder

problem is i have to bike for 40 min twice a day 4 days a week and for that you need a good bike which you can put at least 10-15 kilos on the back of, and i can't stand antique bikes i can live with them for 10 min max anything more i get annoyed it is like you are used to a high end gaming pc and then you get to use a netbook

6. Jamie

I know what you mean but I get a sense of joy riding my steel road bike around overtaking people on newer lighter weight expensive bikes.

I have seen a guy get off a nice looking road bike in the middle of Nottingham at night and lock it to a lamp post outside a pub. It was similar to the kryptonite lock above. Just remember to take the front wheel off and bolt it all up like this.

[​IMG]

7. bagman

bagman Minimodder

i do it differently because i have 2 good locks i have the big one for the front tyre and helmet and the small one for the back wheel i will take a pic next time i lock up, but i have not been riding recently due to the snow

8. Jamie

[​IMG]

It's dirty now

9. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

I think I need to invest in a decent dirt bike... Roads are only fun for going fast on stable ground.

I want to go fast on unstable ground, downhill.

10. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

is that a Dakine apex or nomad I spy in the background?

11. Jamie

Apex :thumb: (well spotted)

12. willowthewhite

willowthewhite Minimodder

[​IMG]

My new ride, built up as a commute bike, but may get a fork swap and become a XC bike when I get a road bike

13. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Got my Christmas present all fitted up, a Nelson Long Flap saddle bag from Carradice. Loaded all my commuting stuff in, shoes, trousers, shirt, lunch etc just swallowed it all and still only half full.

14. Jamie

New 4X frame for 2011, just need to build it up one weekend.

[​IMG]

15. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Nice!

853 Reynolds tubing now too :brrr:. Have they changed anything else?

Need to get a pic of my new road bike as it's finally at home now :)

16. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

my riding buddy has been using the frame for over a year now for his 4x bike, you will not be disappoint :)

17. Jamie

I already have the old frame and been racing it for over a year. This is the 2011 version with (as mentioned above by FIBRE) 853 tubing and some geometry tweaks. I've also upgraded to the long frame as I was forced to get a short last time. I'm looking forward to seeing if I can feel any difference with this new frame. Already stripped my old bike so just waiting for a new headset and bb to build it as they were a little worse for wear on inspection.

18. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

Well thank you :D

How do you like the apex, I have a nomad and am considering grabbing something slightly larger for school, I'm pretty sure they are the same bag, just with the apex having a larger main compartment.

19. Jamie

Love the Apex, loads of room for food, drink, spares and some extra clothing. I don't tend to use the smaller side pockets very often. As much as I hate riding with a bag on; it is really comfortable and I often forget it's there.

Guest-23315 likes this.
  20. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

I've started city riding again, 5 miles every morning and night, and this was my weapon of choice;
    [​IMG]
    Until the rear wheel became buckled and i lost control of the front derailer, suspected broken cable.

I am now riding this;
    [​IMG]
    Its the XCR version, so it has nice sharp brakes but a stupidly wide handlebar for the city!

I tried riding my dads race bike on the same journey and it made it much quicker and i'm now looking at getting a road bike, albeit with a straight bar rather than drops! Too much fun darting in the traffic having the brakes on the drops made me anxious if i ever needed to stop suddenly!