1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

There's a great article on Eurogamer about how the PS4 pro is a great 1080p/60 machine. That's good enough for me tbh.

What I do know is that I did not enjoy playing on it at 30fps or lower with that other game I've forgotten the name of lol. Zombies and a motor bike. Fix motorbike etc. Sound game but I had serious issues with the controls at 30fps.

I'll most likely get the ps5 any way, and I've been wanting a console for mum's house for ages too so I can bring my regular PS4 over here :)

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Handy.

It'll be a while till i get a PS5, i always wait for the slim variant. Whether i can wait for TLoU2 that long, doubtful.

3. Vault-Tec

Days gone is the brain fart game.

I hear Spider man is ace too, and of course God Of War.

4. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

AMD Bootkit request approved...

yuusou, perplekks45, IanW and 2 others like this.
  5. adidan

Awesome news, it works then, cool.

Not long before you can get the new build up and running :thumb:

6. adidan

Shame, actually looks like it could be fun from the few clips i've seen.

7. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Stress tested the PC with its new cooling setup, after running prime95 for an hour it was a stable 56c. Temps scale back down rapidly to low 30's. Whole time it was whisper quiet.
    Snipped out some excess cables an spiral wrapped what was left, much neater though black wrap would have been better than clear.

Now just need Noctua to release a black slimline 120/140mm fan an ill be chuffed

Mr_Mistoffelees and adidan like this.
  8. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Been playing Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force & its expansion.

Ah the memories!! :)

Also the 3ghz Pentium D currently in my retro system really doesn't like the music in the game... 100% CPU load and a stutter fest. Turn music off and it runs butter smooth on the old 6800Ultra (with lots of forced AA and AF).

I really should be benchmarking the system and comparing the 6800U to the X850XT PE but I am having way too much fun! :D

EDIT: Also is it wrong that I am having WAY more fun using this old Pentium 4 / XP based system than my main 3900x / 2080ti machine?! Dealing with its quirks and foibles, wondering if a game will actually run or not..

goldstar0011 likes this.
  9. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

A pleasant evening of airbrushing and modelling.

[​IMG]

Vault-Tec and mrlongbeard like this.
  10. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

It's because all that fiddling and timkering IS fun, we have it easy nowadays with modern hardware/software.

xaser04 and Byron C like this.
  11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Exactly. One-click overclocks? BIOS with a mouse-based GUI? Pffffff, please... Back in my day we had to do things like this:

[​IMG]

Re-connecting the bridges on socketed Thunderbird Athlons with pencil lead (graphite) in order to be able to override the multiplier lock... Just beware of that exposed core - very easy to crack it or chip corners off if you don't apply the heatsink correctly :thumb:. I'm sure I'm not the only one who killed a T-Bird Athlon or two by doing that!

I wish I'd kept my Abit VP6 dual-socket setup from back then - two P3 Coppermine CPUs clocked to a hair under 1GHz, 256MB RAM, Voodoo3 3000 graphics card, 2x Delta 80mm fans, custom-made baybus, Windows 2000... That machine was a beast.

[​IMG]

The_Crapman and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  12. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Ditto, my very first post here in 2010 was about rubbing a pencil across a resistor to stop vdroop when overclocking an E6600!

Byron C likes this.
  13. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

A pencil!

Back in my day, it wasn't a proper overclock unless you got out the soldering iron.

Byron C likes this.
  14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I only really started getting into this stuff around 2000/2001... by that point I think the "worst" hardware mod you had to do was the aforementioned pencil trick. Golden fingers devices weren't too far behind that IIRC, so I guess that counts as getting the soldering iron out :thumb:.

It'll be a weird day when this account gets to twenty years old, it's really not that far off... (I was a HardOCP forum user before I signed up here)

15. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

My very first experience of (kinda-ish) overclocking was so simple that I didn't really know what overclocking was. I got Sierra's EcoQuest for Christmas or birthday and it wouldn't run, but found out about turbo mode from one of my PC magazines. Our PC didn't have a button on it, but could be cracked it open and moved some jumpers around... magic.

I had no idea what I was doing and fortunate I didn't brick something (I was 8ish or so to be fair) and in the end asked a local PC shop and they're like "yeah, so that PC will never run that game" so we bought a 486/33. But gave the newly turbo'd (12mhz!) beast of a 286 to my grandparents, and I'm pretty sure it was in use until ~2000.

Flash forward ~6 years and I start to get into overclocking proper and I realise "oh hey, I was totally overclocking"

IanW and Byron C like this.
  16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Ah turbo buttons... I never had a PC that far back. I was an Atari STe user until about 1995 when we got a Pentium 90 machine from Tiny with a whopping 1GB hard drive and 16MB RAM... I still preferred using my STe for games for a while - although that was mostly because my dad was ridiculously protective about the shiny expensive new PC and I was banned from installing games... (He told me he'd be able to tell if I'd installed games and then removed them - it didn't take me long to figure that out that this was total rubbish!)

Arboreal likes this.
  17. adidan

T-birds, Tiny, wow there's memories. Oh and Gateway...

Reminds me of the time me and my dad chatting about "do you think there'll ever be a 1ghz cpu?"... :lol:

18. Guest-44638

Guest-44638 Guest

The Holy Grail for a good long while was 5GHz, now thanks to the 9900K, we have that as a Turbo option.
    How long before we get a stock, mainstream 5GHz CPU - if it's ever likely to be needed...?

adidan likes this.
  19. Vault-Tec

Weighed myself today. 15 stone 11.

Wish my brain was up to going out and exercising lol.

adidan likes this.
  20. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Aside from the "turbo" make-things-slower button, I think my first introduction was replacing timing crystals in systems to boost performance!