1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3D printer 'gun parts' found in Manchester raid

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Teelzebub, 25 Oct 2013.

1. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

So what else were they doing then? Where's the article on the raids? Why did they only report on a 3D printer which according to the article wasn't even being used to make anything illegal/dangerous?

The more you think about it, the less information there really is in the story, to the point where it's almost just an advert for 3D printers and the fact that they can be used to possibly make guns.

Above isn't aimed at you corky or anyone btw, more the BBC, had trouble wording it to come across right.

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Because it makes great "oohh my gosh" headlines and panders to peoples fears, the BBC is just as guilty of bad reporting as the tabloids imho. Or maybe they are just reporting on the information they were given by the police, and i think its fair to say they don't know much about technology.

3. walle

walle Minimodder

I can see the headlines in a month or two.

"The English people call for an all out ban of 3D printers" :hehe:

Last edited: 28 Oct 2013
  4. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

meh owned a makerbot for a bit before selling it on. and am defo gonna get another one in the future.
    just hope they dont make it difficult to own one.

5. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

6. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

QFT

I guess the real fear is that, whereas you have to be shady and have some cash to get a real gun, these 3D printers are going to make deadly weapons downloadable products for any and all children.

You know, any and all children who can afford to drop £2000 on a printer. With which you could more easily buy an actual gun*.

*seriously, it's not difficult to buy a gun. 3D printing is going to have to be easier than a Drive-Thru takeaway before it can compete.

7. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

If they do ban them because of stuff like this I'll eat my hat. :D

8. boiled_elephant

They banned pocket knives with blades longer than 3 inches, despite the fact that large kitchen knives, meat cleavers, steak knives and power tools are all available to all adults and present in most households. They'll ban anything if there's enough of a public outcry. And the public love to cry out in about things in earnest for misformed, stupid reasons, because a lot of them are goddamned idiots with no desire to seek out balanced information (look at the number of parents who're refusing to give their children vaccinations now).

9. walle

walle Minimodder

Parents not wanting to shoot foreign substances into their children's bloodstream I can understand. It kind of makes sense to be somewhat wary about stuff like that...It makes far more sense than wanting to ban pocket knifes, if you ask me.

Last edited: 28 Oct 2013
  10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Feeling happy to feed them crap though.

11. walle

walle Minimodder

Many parents do and that's another problem, especially long term. Having said that, the food children are fed in school aren't exactly healthy either, and children spend far more time in school (unless they're homeschooled) than they do at home.

12. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I forget where the info came from but there was a statistic floating around that you were more likely to be fatally stabbed with a screwdriver than a knife... If memory serves it was because of the type of wound a screwdriver would cause and the fact screwdrivers are easy to acquire and easy to hide...

But as people have said, the media and the public love their outcry and the government love their knee-jerk reactions...

And I'd take school food over hospital food any day...

13. Nexxo

I've eaten both. I would feed neither to my child.

14. Risky

Risky Modder

15. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I wouldn't feed either option to your kids either [or mine if i had any]... but given a choice between the food served up in the local hospitals and starvation... starvation looks pretty tempting...

16. skunkmunkey

skunkmunkey Minimodder

now this could be something to worry about...

17. boiled_elephant

Blimey...printed metal is news to me.

Legislation is inevitable, but I wonder whether it will focus on control of the printers themselves, the fabrication substances, or the blueprints. Limiting the former two would be a shame, because metal 3D printing would be an amazing thing to have access to domestically and could hugely benefit people and educational establishments. But in the piracy age, how the hell do you effectively control blueprints?

I guess they could make distributing 'controllled' blueprints without authorization a much more serious and actively pursuable crime than, say, distributing copyrighted material without permission currently is. If it were prioritized and punished on the same scale as actual firearms trafficking, people would probably be suitably dissuaded.

18. Nexxo

19. Nexxo

Those guys are utter dicks. "The objective was not to print a gun, oh, no! It was to demonstrate that you can print functional metal parts hard and strong enough for real-world applications!". What, you couldn't print a little combustion engine? You know, one that would not cause a controversy as a transparent grab for publicity?

See the future: it's not modders designing custom computer case or water cooling parts on SketchUp and printing them out at their local Maker Faire workshop; it's little clandestine factories operating from shipping containers or the backs of trucks to produce cheap untraceable guns for criminal purposes. Nice.

Last edited: 8 Nov 2013
  20. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

come on who never thought this was going to happen in the first place.