1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Advise on a new cooler please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Booti, 8 Dec 2012.

1. Booti

Booti Minimodder

I have an Ivy Bridge chip in a TJ-08 case which is running a little hot for me (32 at idle, but 65 at full load at stock speeds)
    Currrent cooler is a Corsair H50 that came across from my Sandy Bridge system.
    I have replaced the stock single fan for a pair of Corsair SP-120's, which brought the temp down about 2 degrees, but raised the noise levels, so i figure i am at the limit of the cooler.

Looking to replace it and so far have been thinking either
    H80i (would need to check it will fit with both fans attached due to thicker rad, and i have to add wiring for the pump, but i quiet like the Corsair Link idea)
    Arctic Freezer i30 (seems to get good reviews, cheap, but only just fits in the case with my 165mm clearance)
    beQuiet Dark Pro 2 (again, good reviews, more expensive, but fits easily being only 135mm tall)

What are peoples thoughts please. Looking for as quiet as possible and not much heavier than the H50 (as its a LAN machine).
    Open to other suggestions (like the Noctua range perhaps)

Thanks in advance.

2. rollo

rollo Modder

65 max is nothing to worry about.

You would be looking at the h80i or h100i ( assuming it fits), freezer i30 is technically the same performance, the dark rock pro will cause ram access issues, as its a big heavy beast enough its not very tall.

For an upgrade to your current cooler I'd look at the h80i but we are not talking huge gains here you may see 55-60max instead of 65max.

3. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

I have the TJ08BE so essentially the same and use a enermax ets t40 tb with the stock fan and an additional enermax tb silence fan in push pull, my i5 3550 idles at 25 degrees celcius and when gaming it hits a maximum of 50 according to hw monitor, it is quite big though but once it's in it is very secure and quite easy to install. Also it is verging on inaudible when idle and gaming it can't be heard over my 7950!

4. Booti

Booti Minimodder

Yeah the h100i wont fit at all (case only has a 180mm and a 120mm fan position)
    also i am going to discount the dark rock pro now based on what you have said about the RAM and also checking on other sites, i have found the height is actually 166mm (so it wont fit)
    the 65 degrees didnt seem that bad, but i have a friend with the same CPU and case (he has the Gene V board, mine is Gene IV). He is hitting about 55 degrees at full tilt.
    I know the Ivy Bridge has the thermal paste under the cap, but i dont want to start stripping it down and replacing the TIM to reduce the temps.
    Also i was hoping to overclock a little in the future, maybe 4.2Ghz, but at the moment the temp goes up to 85/87 :eyebrow:

Last edited: 8 Dec 2012
  5. rollo

rollo Modder

you 100% the h50 is fitted correctly

as 85 to 87 for a 4.2 overclock is very high

6. Booti

Booti Minimodder

yep, refitted the other day when i put the new fans on and replaced the TIM at the same time, just to be sure.

7. Booti

Booti Minimodder

well i made a decision and got the i30 today. simple reason being i didnt want to spend a fortune on a new cooler and find it was the CPU in the end.
    The reading i have done seems to suggest the i30 is pretty much as good as the rest and it was cheapest.

So i have benched the PC with Prime95 running 'in-place large FFT's', before taking the H50 out
    Stock speeds the 'package' maxed out at 65 degrees
    BIOS overclock to 4.2Ghz, maxed out at 86 degrees
    BIOS overclock to 4.6Ghz, maxed out at 96 degrees within 5 seconds, so that was stopped.

I have now installed the i30 and run the stock speed test again. even with the front case fan on high (the other tests were on low) i am instantly getting 85 degrees

So, have i got a faulty CPU (bad heatcap mounting)?
    If so, where do i stand on getting it replaced by the supplier?
    I know you can peel the caps off and reapply the heatpaste yourself, but i dont feel comfortable doing that (for warranty purposes) and also i dont think i should have to.

8. rollo

rollo Modder

Overclocking is a game of luck, some chips are hotter than others if it was in the 90s at stock you may have a point of return.

Problem is its not at stock.

65c at stock is fine no company will accept a refund because its to hot when overclocked as they do not sell the chip based on its overclock skills.

Your just unlucky sorry, and ivy bridge basically requires a full water loop to run at high speeds.

9. Booti

Booti Minimodder

yeah, very true i guess
    Just disappointing to get 65 degrees at stock speeds with a AIO water loop when other people and reviewers are getting lower temps at 4.2Ghz using air coolers.
    At least i know my H50 aint faulty now.

Oh well. Bugger, i think is the phrase :)

10. Booti

Booti Minimodder

Rollo, just as a thought though, my temps are with an aftermarket cooler.
    the website claims a Tcase temp of 67.4 (not 100% what that means if i am honest) and i am getting 65. There is no way a stock cooler would give me as good a temp (seen as the i30 is giving 85 at stock speeds) so surely there is room to argue the CPU is faulty, based on what you have said.

11. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

If you want to get a new CPU, run Prime95 with the stock cooler, provided you have one, in a case that has no airflow. Then you might have room to argue that the CPU is faulty.

12. rollo

rollo Modder

Which ivy chip do you have you never did say.

The problem you will have when you attempt an rma is that the chip is working, hot but working. They will blame any problem but the chip and they will test it when it gets back to them.

If you got it from scan they will run the tests and let you know, if you live close to there warehouse they will even let you be there when tests are ran.

You also need to remember most reviews are done in a super high air flow case for best results.

13. Booti

Booti Minimodder

sorry, i thought i had put that in the OP, its a 3770K.
    i have now refitted the H50, purely as it was giving better temps than the i30 cooler.

i did get it from Scan and they are not far from me, so i may well take it in next weekend. Even if its just to test it on another mobo, with an different cooler and get their opinion.

As you both quite rightly state, it works and overclocking is a hit and miss thing. I just dont think these stock temps are quite right.

14. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

As others have said, there's really nothing wrong with your current temps. 65 at full load is very good, 40 degrees under it's max so loads of headroom. With an overclock at 4.2, around 85 is still perfectly safe. You could then try reducing the voltages gradually which should drop the temps.

Edit: For reference, I've just bought a 3570k and an m5g and use a modded antec kuhler 620 with 2 xigmatek clf-f1254's in push-pull. I get avg temp of 20 at idle and 60 at full load, but the extra volume of coolant in my modded kuhler will have brought that down over a stock one.

Last edited: 15 Dec 2012
  15. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Quick thought ive not seen mentioned, which way are the fans set? pulling air in or out of the case?
    I had terrible results when it was drawing air into the case flipped it to an exhaust and saw a bit drop in temps.

16. Booti

Booti Minimodder

Hmmm, this is getting a lot of annoying now
    I have refitted the H50 as it was better than the i30 before, but that is now giving me temps of 80degrees at stock speeds as well :wallbash:

I have already taking it back apart and reapplied the TIM again and still the same.

Crapman : IF i can get it back as it was ill try a 4.2Ghz overclock again and check the voltages, but i havent told it to change anything (the overclock was a default one in the BIOS)

Legoman : All the fans are set to come in the front (180mm fan) and out the back (2x120mm on the H50 or 1x120mm on the i30 and another on the case rear)

17. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Try and let the h50 run for a while. All this moving about could have made some air bubbles or got some air trapped in the pump assembly itself.

If you were using cpu level-up or a similar bios feature to overclock ut to 4.2, it will have used a whole heap of voltage to make sure it was stable and you could almost certainly reduced it from there. Best thing to do is find an overclocking guide for your mobo and cpu and do it yourself.

18. Booti

Booti Minimodder

I ran the SuperPi tests this morning to see what i could get :naughty:
    It was reporting the same voltage (1.36v) at stock speeds as at 4.9Ghz (yes i managed to run it that high at no more than 70 degrees)
    I guess it just doesnt like running at full tilt on all cores.

I am going to leave it over this week and you suggested (need the rig for some gaming). If its still running the same i'll take the chip into Scan on Friday and ask if they can test it on one of their mobo rigs and see what they think.

19. rollo

rollo Modder

do you have auto voltage enabled or are you setting the voltages

as 1.36v is not stock voltage.

Stock voltage for your chip is closer to 1.1v

thats a massive difference in vcore which would help explain your temps.

20. Booti

Booti Minimodder

:jawdrop:
    really. i have never adjusted it since the last BIOS update.

ill check that now, i always thought it was running at default