1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Chip flaw delays Marvell SATA 6Gb/s launch

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 17 Jul 2009.

1. dicobalt

dicobalt What's a Dremel?

It's good they decided to fix the problem. If only Nvidia would have bothered to do testing on their chipsets as much to find that weird hdd data corruption problem and fix it *before* launch. I am still unsure if they ever fixed it. :miffed: Good job Marvell :thumb:

2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

This problematic chip is THAT separate chip you are talking about. These boards have 6x SATA/300 connectors, and the extra stuff is usually handled with extra chips, this time with this Marvell - which means 2x SATA/600 connectors and a PATA connector. And no, there is no problem with the ATA commands over SATA, it's just the PATA interface which is problematic.

So yes, ditch the goddamn PATA part, if anyone still wants PATA drives they can get a extra PCI card.

3. mayhem

mayhem Owner of Mayhems

i don't think you lot realise how much of a minority you really are.

"normal" users wont upgrade for 3 to 5 years at least and some even longer. Pata will still be around for a good few more years weather you like it or not.

Look at you MB they still have PS2 links for the keyboard and mouse all though its probably not needed.

4. InSanCen

InSanCen Buckling Spring Fetishist

Leave my PS/2 Alone! My mighty Model M Needs it!!! :D

I do appreciate we use new Tech far more readily then 99% of consumers... hell, I have customers that are quite happy using a combo of a G3 Laptop and a Win95 PC.

But I do think that, although I use a lot of Legacy ports (PS/2, PCI, and COM), they do need to die off fairly soon now. I'll just buy a PCI-e card to add any functionality I need... I would rather they used the die real-estate for far more shiny functions and features. I suspect you will see PATA die off in the next round or 2 of chip designs, at least on the high end kit.

I also stand corrected..sort of. hadn't quite twigged that the extra chip's problems were purely on the Physical PATA port. Teach me to read a bit more carefully next time eh?

5. naokaji

naokaji whatever

But those people also don't buy the latest bleeding edge mainboards.

Besides, each mainboard manufacturer releases like 20 different boards based on the same chipset anyway, there is really no need for all of them to have all those ancient connectors, I mean they could ditch them on atleast one of them, which does not mean they can't include them on some other sku.

6. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

on high end boards you should not expect PATA any more intel ditch it an year or 2 ago, why Asus and other makers want this option (on Low end motherboard yes i want PATA/IDE as i fix a lot of computers so most still have an IDE DVD-rw saves me having to put an new one in when upgrading there pc)

PS/2 keyboard must be kept as it works even if nothing els does not (no mouse port you can put an 2 port USB in its place like GA do)
    USB is not as Plug in play can be more Plug in pray of pop up and asking you to press enter to install the USB host controller or the mouse and keyboard it self {hate new dells that do that they do not even give you 6 ports on the back to compensate your loss of 2 ports}

7. B3CK

B3CK Minimodder

I work at a pc repair shop; and I would have to vote that loosing pata would only be viable for high end mobo's at either high end oem's or system builders.
    98% of customers don't even know the difference between sata/pata, and 90% of those don't care either. Over 3/4 of all our customers use oem systems; ie. dell/hp/acer/etc..
    Even though most of the machines I see have sata connectors, usualy 2 or 4 ports, they will still have either a hard drive or optical or both on pata. When they upgrade to a new machine, and don't want to loose their data, or want more than one optical, it saves me a great deal of labor to just pop their old hard drive in as opposed to the time it takes to move the files over to a new/larger drive.
    I Would also say I would rather have all my sata ports filled with hard drives, as opposed to loosing some due to using optical drives as well. But I'm a media junky, and try not to delete old programs, even if I don't use them.

8. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

PATA should go the way of Serial ports, ie available on PCi cards if you need them.

9. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

Current motherboards have something like 10 internal sata ports... don't tell me that you cant spare 1 or 2 for optical drives.

10. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

10 is a pretty high number... Typical boards have 6, a bit higher models have 6+2. I seen 10 only at Gigabyte UD5 P55 and AM3 boards.

PS: I don't count eSATA as internal SATA.

11. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

And on some asus mobos.

well duh!:thumb:

Tags: Add Tags