1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Counter-Strike 1.6 ads ahoy!

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 6 Mar 2007.

1. z3rb

z3rb +4 str +4 stam

Damned right, I don't.

Everything Valve does just causes these idiots to complain; liek the time the changed the radar in CSS.

2. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

This is most-probably because Valve haven't had a good idea surrounding Counter-Strike since they bought the rights to it.

You would have thought that, considering you claim not to have played the game (or CS:S much by the sound of it), that you would've thought twice about condemning the rather large fanbase (remember: most popular online game) as a group of 'idiots'.

You don't know what you're talking about. End of story.

If people want to play Source, they can pay to play Source. Up until now though, CS 1.6 has been largely unaffected by Valve's interests -- this is WHY we play it. It's free, and it's been [almost] unaltered it's since the days of 1.3.

Now Valve have realised that this free game, whom so many people play day-in, day-out, is costing them more money than they can absorb from their other product sales (their own stupid fault for not releasing HL2:E2 soon enough), because of the bandwidth requirements used-up to deliver it by Steam.

The answer is apparently to include ads in the most popular maps played, in the hope that it increases revenue -- they don't really care about CS 1.6, or the people that play it -- they want people to play CS:S, it's their cash-cow-baby and they want you all to pay money for it.

So long as Valve keep screwing up CS:S with stupid ideas like the arms market (but we're idiots, so that can't have beed bad idea), I would not want to move away from CS 1.6. It's got all of the gameplay, all of the memories, and none of the meddling.

Back on topic: I do wonder how many people Gabe fired for shouting 'TORRENTS, YOU FOOL!' at the 'How can we make 1.6 profitable?' meeting.

3. Aankhen

Aankhen What's a Dremel?

I played 1.6 exclusively for a year or so, when I was first introduced to CS. I still don't understand why people prefer it to Source, aside from the fact that their computers can't handle Source.

4. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

what he said.

5. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Clearly lots of us. Given the number of posts any thread about CS 1.6 getting ads garners.

6. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

Ads on a paid game is a NO in my book.
    as for the CSS VS CS 1.6, really don't start that here, they are 2 completely different games, get over it.

7. nphekted

nphekted What's a Dremel?

You forget that Valve can't even change the radar without being accused of ruining the game and killing competitive play though.

Every time Valve touches CS, 50 kittens die. Or so the community would have you believe.

8. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

Obviously, but I think the motive behind these complaints is pretty lacklustre. One argument seems to suggest that ads in a game should mean it's free. What the hell? Magazines (for instance) are full of advertisements. You don't see people crying because they're not free!

I believe people are all to quick to jump on the "Valve are greedy" bandwagon. That's idiotic. As I've said in numerous posts, Valve are one of the most integral games studios out there. Adverts in games is a fantastic way to bring more revenue into the industry in general - not just into Valve. Take product placement in films for example. It's been going on for years and without it, we wouldn't get such heavily funded titles.

This is a natural progression for bringing games into the media limelight(sp?). Stop fighting it and just accept it. No one plays 1.6 to look at the walls. You should be looking for your enemies heads. That's what I do.

9. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

I run my own CS:S server currently 315 and climing in world rank.

If valve was to release ads for CS:S I would still host dust_2 office ect. but I would host them with the names Dust_2_noAds and cs_oddice_noAds becasue they would be the original maps(the ones without ads). I would only put the valve maps that have the ads in them on my server if valve gave me money to do so. This way the ads benefit me and reduce server cost.

Besides why show some one elses ads when I can use mani to place my own ads telling people to buy admin. :D

Last edited: 7 Mar 2007
  10. hobbs

hobbs What's a Dremel?

They take a product that you have to buy and a product that they do NOT support anymore and they place ads in it because they want more money. YES valve is greedy, they manage to suck every last time they can milk out of cs 1.6 same thing when they started to charge for mods like garrys. Valve is stupid, they only see money and nothing else.

11. zero0ne

zero0ne Minimodder

the problem is, your magazine theory doesn't hold true, since you can consistently find subscriptions for the cheap... (ebay and whatnot, you'll maybe spend $5 for a 12 month subscription)

and in that case, you end up not really paying for the content, but instead the paper it was written on, and the ink that was used, along with delivery charges etc...

12. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

Ancient Aztec cities didn't have huge billboards but they sure did have people tossing flashbangs and shooting bullets.

13. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

Well if you want it that way, the ads are paying for either the distribution packaging, CD pressing etc and/or they're paying for the upkeep of Steam and the Steam servers. That means you're paying for content and you cannot deny that Valve games quite easily deliver £30 worth of content.

Valve offer more than most and therefore require more funds than most.

Exactly!

14. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

never seen a add in cs...

:duh:
    oohh my mistake it was the old cs... do people still play cs: old ? :worried:

15. randosome

randosome Banned

yes i think its 1 of the most popular steam games

I wouldn't mind them adding this crap, if
    a) they did it tastefully
    b) they actually worked on the game which they are just trying to kill (eg fix the insesent hacking issues)

Without that, its just plain wrong to add this crap to the game just because its there
    Why should everyone out there have to pay for the servers, but valve get the money from this scheme ? if valve were hosting the servers it would be another issue - but they don't

16. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

If you care so vociferously, don't host a server.

17. randosome

randosome Banned

I dont host a server, but that attitude wont solve anything, it still invades my game, and no-one is benefiting but valve
    Its like saying, oh a nuclear missile going off doesn't bother me as long as it is in another country ..

18. orb

orb satisfying.

It doesn't

19. Mosey

Mosey What's a Dremel?

Why can't the community just make de_dust3 and de_aztec2, making negligible changes or no changes at all to the map structure and textures, but merely eliminating the ads. Then just run the new maps instead of dust2 etc?

20. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

It doesn't invade your game at all though. You're arguing against them for the sake of it. There's loads of other wall space for you to admire in aztec if that's what floats your boat.

Tags: Add Tags