1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Leaving Live Mesh and the mess Microsoft is in

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 20 Nov 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I use DropBox on all my systems.

3. Sifter3000

Dropbox is good but you need to remember to move files and folders into the dropbox... I prefer just being able to set folders as being synced.

4. Spiny

Spiny What's a Dremel?

Mesh really comes into it's own when you need to sync machines via the cloud. Photo's don't really fall into that use case because once the content is there it's pretty static. Having said that it would be nice if you could use your SkyDrive space. I heard Skydrive & Mesh are developed by two seperate teams though...

5. Sifter3000

The problem with having Mesh just for syncing is that if you then want online backup, you've got to have another service - I can do both sync and online backup with Sugar Sync.

I can well believe Mesh and Skydrive have separate teams - it just doesn't make any sense!

6. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

I have mesh installed, but mainly for RDP type duties. I very rarely sync files. If I know I want something elsewhere I might (done it with a shedload of MP3s at one point). Sometimes I fancy/need something, I can log onto my machine and email it to the machine I'm sat at.

7. Comet

Comet What's a Dremel?

Live Mesh is a preview product. An application that is meant to show developers the Mesh api capabilities just like Google Wave its work in progress . Live Mesh is a top Microsoft priority for the next year as they intend to integrate almost any kind of products with the Mesh Api. This is one of the strong points for Windows Mobile 7. A better ilustration where Microsoft plans to go is the Live Mesh ad available in youtube .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFpwzg-AP_Q

8. Comet

Comet What's a Dremel?

By the way... There is a reason why the site is titled "Live Mesh Beta".

9. digitaldave

digitaldave What's a Dremel?

you can get an app for the mac called gdrive that makes a folder on your mac sync with your gmail storage ;)

10. Sifter3000

In some ways this just further illustrates my point - Live Mesh is a preview, but other, competing services are already there.

And yes, while I know Mesh is a BETA, surely that should mean that it gets improvements regularly, rather than every other month?

11. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

When Google does it we all coo, however when it's MS the hate begins. o_O

That said, I'm looking forwards to Google's GDrive solution.

12. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

Anyone using V.Stuff with VirginMedia? As far as I can tell, with the XXL 50MB connection it's free and unlimited storage.

I've just backed up my HomeServer and I can access it from anywhere with an internet connection. So when the homeserver backs up any PC in the house, V.Stuff then backs up the changes as well.

I don't think I can do the mobile phone sync but to be honest I can't think of a time when I will need to do that.

13. Xir

Xir Modder

I and everyone I know simply lack the bandwith for this to be attractive...
    Maybe it's just the tight german net (and virtually impossible 3g datarates) though

14. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

I might set this up for my savegame directories, so I can play Bookworm Adventures and PvZ on my laptop and PC.

15. Shagbag

Shagbag All glory to the Hypnotoad!

Is this the same as Amazon's S3?

16. Sifter3000

It's the same in that it's online storage, but S3 is aimed at someone who wants to build an application. Mesh/SugarSync etc are applications already, aimed at consumers who want online backup/sync.

17. Shagbag

Shagbag All glory to the Hypnotoad!

Oh. OK. Thx. So it's just like Ubuntu One?

Tags: Add Tags