1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Black Narcissus: 2006 FIN:

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by modsquad, 28 Jun 2004.

1. sc4mpi

sc4mpi OG watercooler

Small bore setups are still highly affective at removing heat. it all comes down to the size of the rad, were it is in the loop, and how much airflow , and waterflow is going through it. theres a balance , get it right and you got a very quite setup with good temps to boot. :)

My 6800GTs idle at 41 and 42, and on load never seem to break 46, the hotest they got to was 51, on a hot day. cpu idels at 27 and goes up to 33, after a couple or hours of cs:s (gt fans on 5v, cpu fan on 12v )

6800gts have a Thermochill 120.3
    Cpu has a Thermochill 120.1

I personaly like small bore over 1/2" iv tryed both but small bore. is my pefered choice from now on :)

P.s firehead to gain the benifits from dual loops , u need 2 seprate res's. cause the Gts will still heat up the cpu and visa versa

Last edited: 25 May 2005
  2. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

I assume if they did that they opened it up and removed the original Eheim 300 correct? I forgot to mention that it also helps to have one of the prototype Reserators that has a different internal structure to allow more thermal radiation surface as well. :naughty:

3. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

psst I think it is a TwinPlex for the GPU's but I could be wrong. Rumour has it that it will have a nozzle style block. The NB's don't put out enough heat to justify using a nozzle jet on it so... what else is on your mb that produces a lot of heat => GPU's in SLI? The "new rumour" is now that they are still screwing around with the prototypes and production units seem to be at least 3 weeks out. :hip:

4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Yes TN, that's what they did. IIRC they used one of the stronger pumps as a replacement (don't think D4, might have been the Eheim after 1048)

Twinplex Pro? :D Sounds cool.

5. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Ahhh You said it not me :worried:

As far as the Reserator goes the pump increase is just part of the picture. Other things are being changed so expect to see an upgrade kit for the Reserator from Sharka soon. Might even see a chiller on board :eeek:

6. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

Twinplex XT, I would guess.. The twinplex is one of the oldest blocks in the AC line. It was released in late 2001 and has seen a few minor-revisions since then. I guess "if it's not broke don't fix it".
    This is the 2001 Twinplex::
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 30 Sep 2008
  7. modsquad

I love small-bore H20 setups and would never build anything else. What I am saying is Aqua-Computer could not have envisioned the SLi-type setups you guys are using. If you look at the "kits" AC sells they are all basic radiator/pump/CPU block/reservoir sets. You are 100% correct it is a matter of coming up with the correct combination of gear to give you good temps. Larger radiator (or two), more H20 in the loop (second res) or more H20 flow (second or bigger pump) or even a dual-loop. You guys are in uncharted waters, and we are all learning from your experiences. and I love it.. :thumb:

8. Firehed

Yeah, AC has a great way of only tweaking things, not complete redesigns that don't make sense. The Twinplex can apparently handle a LOT of heat (read: 6800GT @ ultra) which isn't something you would envision for a block that looks like it would benefit from high flow rates in a low-flow system. Only differences I'm seeing since 2001 is the new ribbed P&C fittings, a very slightly tweaked interior (it's a bit "sharper" now) and using the socket-drive screws to hold the plexi.

I couldn't really envision AC doing a Twinplex XT (Cuplex XT design) just because the cost would be so much higher than a Twinplex Pro type design. The Cuplex Pro has a (very small and thin) accelerator plate but gets the job done well, and that's a lot cheaper to make than the several-piece design of the XT, but still cools very well. The Pro is, by the looks of it anyways, MUCH thinner than the XT, and that's something that would really count in an SLI design.

9. modsquad

Sorry Firehed, I missed this..I will post some pictures of the docking modules mounted to a APE120 tomorrow..
    I also picked up a Eheim Compact600..and I will post some Compacttube installation pictures for Top Nurse..

10. foenix

foenix What's a Dremel?

wow, amazing mod, keep up the good work :D :rock:

11. Firehed

So it can be done :D At the very least, a good sign. Only problem is that I'll need to find a new place to keep my spindle of DVDRs if I mount a rad there... oh well, I'd rather knock a few degrees off the GPUs.

12. modsquad

Aqua-Computer Hardware Preview

With the holiday this weekend I am afraid I will not get any work done on the project. Instead I offer a look at some lesser-seen Aqua-Computer equipment (before it exits my SlaughterHouse).
    The Docking Module:
    [​IMG]
    These plates will let you mount your fans on either side of your AirPlex EVO Family radiator.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The AirPlex EVO 160 radiator:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Some side-by-sides with a APE120. Notice the added (core) thickness of the APE160. This unit could-well perform better than I would have thought. By the way all other Aqua-Computer radiators are the same thickness as the APE120.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Compacttube/Eheim 600C installation:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Clips on top and two bolts at the bottom. EZ enough.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A good looking unit (the pump would need some black paint, but you get the idea).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last a few "real-world" shots of the Cuplex XT:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    A pretty H20 block, not a fan of the blue acrylic top (copper version on order)
    [​IMG]
    That will do it. We will get back to "real-work" on BN next weekend. :thumb:

Last edited: 20 Oct 2008
  13. G4m3R_X3r0

G4m3R_X3r0 What's a Dremel?

oooooo Pretty

14. mopery

mopery What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the pics sooooo nice!

15. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

It's not really plain at the A-C site, but you can also get a clear plexi top as well. I got two of them and I arranged for ShoNuff to get one of them. He will be doing something "interesting" with his top. :dremel:

16. PHILIP1193

PHILIP1193 a Self Confessed HP Server Lover!!

what do you think to the cuplex xt in terms of how it will perform, as it looks small and i dont think it will perform too good what do u think modsquad

Phil

17. Firehed

Really love that Cuplex XT! And thanks for the docking module shots... you really have quite a stockpile there! I don't suppose you could let me know of the spacing between the middle fan mounts (est 5-10mm) of the APE160 and the distance from the end fan mounts to the edge of the rad (est 5-10mm again)? (I'm trying to see if I can fit the 160 in that space just above my PSU, since I don't really love the idea of an externally mounted rad in a place where I'm likely to damage it). On the other hand, say I use the docking module to top-mount an APE120 externally (fittings facing down), could I still stick a corresponding grill on top? And about how much clearance is between the docking module and the rad itself on the bottom (looks about 1/4" or so).

Don't mean to pester you with lots of measurements, but I like knowing stuff will work, and you have the means to check :D

Phil, some benches I've "read" (they were in german mostly) put it ahead of every other small-bore block tested. If you've seen the Cuplex Pro's interior, it has a similar base to that, except the "performance" part of the block (the chopped-up area, if you will) appears larger. See the middle pic on the bottom of this page. The only big difference is appearance, and that the accelerator plate thing is much bigger and should be more effective. I read it's less restrictive than the Pro too, but not having used one I can't verify that. I would really like to get one eventually though.

18. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

It's a very nice block! I would highly recommend to anyone who buys it to make sure you clean it out really well before using it though. They left in something that appears to be dried up machining coolant. After you start your system up the stuff has a tendency to clog the nozzle jets from what R1ckCa1n said to me IF you don't clean it first. If your interested I could sell you my XT as I have a Silver XT coming and this one would be redundant. It has never had H20 in it and I just bought it to do layout work on my case for tubing and parts placement.

The APE 160 fits in my V2000 case above the PSU as Sharka has some and I was interested as well. However, it doesn't match the bolt hole pattern that Lian-Li uses (and the rest of the world :sigh: ). So if you wanted to use that rad you would also need to get the 160 grill and cut out the area above the PSU. Now since Aqua Computer sells Lian-Li PC70's with that rad installed in their complete boxes I assume that Lian-Li makes a PSU back plate that was designed for that market seeing how it is modular in design. Sharka is looking into having some of those plates brought in by the major importer of Lian-Li products here in the USA. I would guess it will be about 30-45 days before they get here as they would come in the next container shipment. This looks like the ideal method as the plates are available in aluminum and black flavors and I think the V2xxx series cases use the same PSU plate as the PC-7x series cases.

19. Firehed

Thanks for the info TN. Is your XT for A64? And about how much would you want for it?

The thing I was concerned about more than anything else with the 160 rad is that if you've seen FrozenFire you'll know how I have my rear 120mm rad mounted, and it looks like the fittings may hit a EVO160 unless I either a) run it passively or b) have either the rad or the fans external. I would imagine the v2xxx use the same plates as the PC7x as the cases are almost identical dimensions and whatnot and it really just wouldn't make sense for them NOT to have them the same (I'm almost positve the v1xxx have the same PSU bracket as the PC6x/PC6xxx line as well).

Only thing is Sharka doesn't seem to have the 160 grills. Safe to assume they will soon, right (you seem to know their dealings surprisingly well... I'd almost think you work for them!)

Do you know how much the holes would have to be enlarged to get it to fit? Couldn't imagine it being more than a couple mm.

20. modsquad

Firehed, your APE160 measurements:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    the APE120:
    [​IMG]

Top Nurse, I know you don't like it but I think the copper top looks cool.
    [​IMG]
    You know, Aqua-Computer should have made the "blue" acrylic top the option and the "clear" top standard. Then again AC seems to like blue..

PHILIP1193, the XT is not small. Here's a side/side of the XT and the Pro.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 20 Oct 2008