1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming The Best Games You've Never Played

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 28 Dec 2007.

1. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Anyone know what the "sequel" to The Neverhood was? All I remember is playing it on PS1. It was a sidescroller, but I don't remember puzzles. Just collecting little balls of clay and chucking birds around or something.

Edit: thanks, Wikipedia!

2. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

looks on ebay for BGE

3. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

for any of you weapon-crafting RPG fans out there, here's a big heads-up:

Vagrant Story for PS1. It has a very deep and well-conceived storyline, great characters and especially a unique weapon system. The idea is to hand-craft all your weapons in the game from scraps you find. The character itself never gains experience, but your weapons do.
    Also it's got a very strong and unique 'feel', and a battle system that requires both skill and tactics. All in all a very original and cool game.

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Beyond Good and Evil was the only one i've played, and it was awesome! all the puzzles and action puts other major games to shame. like Joe said, play it!

5. naokaji

naokaji whatever

agree.. Beyond Good and Evil was really a good game. (only one from the list i've played if you dont count Nolf since it didnt get mentioned in big style).

6. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

There was another sequel to The Neverhood called the Boombots, and a soundtrack album released called The Imaginarium too.

There's a fair chunk of games in the list which aren't RPGs though - Condemned, Beyond Good and Evil, Outcast, Realms of The Haunting, The Dark Eye and The Neverhood are all not RPGs.

There are some games I would love to have put in there which you guys have mentioned (and others which thanks to you I'm finally getting around to playing), but some of them aren't what I'd call underdogs. Chrono Trigger (which I'm playing as we speak) was massive! If I'd had more space then I can think of a half-dozen more games which could go in there - Gabriel Knight 3, Dreams to Reality, Icewind Dale, Call of Cthulu, Simon the Sorceror, Mafia, Chronicles of Riddick, Fahrenheit, the list goes on.

I would have loved to put NOLF in there properly, but I think it was just a mite too successful to qualify since it had a full-fledged sequel and most of the others, except Condemned, haven't. Both NOLF games are excellent - may switch back to XP one of these days so that I can play them again. Damn Vista doesn't work with half of my favourite games.

7. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

beneth a steel sky is the best point and click game for me :D

Also hardwar was an awsome game but has dated rather badley in the light of things like GTA.

I still think morowind is unapriciated it came out at the same time as NVWN but NVWN got most of the critical aclaim... to me morrowind is far more involving and much less repetative.

8. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan What's a Dremel?

You forgot Zak Mckracken and the Alien Mind Benders. That game was rad, shame I could never figure out how to finish it. :(

9. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Duel boot Joe :p

10. CardJoe

Zak McCracken and Beneath A Steel Sky were both awesome - though if you're going to look at Revolutions back catalogue then I think Broken Sword wins in the end. I think Beneath was released as freeware as well, though I may be getting confused with Flight of The Amazon Queen.

Morrowind? Under-appreciated? Look at the size of the mod community and think again! Though, that said, when I first played it after literally finding a pirate copy at university by accident, I'd never heard of it. I played it for an hour and kept expecting to run into invisible walls or prompts to take me back to the main quest. When I realised that wasn't going to happen I had to actually go next door and get my next door neighbour to show him how cool it was.

Then I went back to my room to play and didn't come out for another three years.

I've been tempted, but then I think "Actually, whats the point in keeping Vista for me?". I only use my PC for browsing, movies, games and the like, so I don't need anything that Vista is offering me AFAIK.

11. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Good to see Planescape in there, awesome game. Not that I've ever played it or anything, but the devhouse is named after the tiny peninsula I live on - so that makes it instawesome. I was surprised to see Nethack in there also, and a little impressed to be honest. I didn't expect you'd bother trying to bring that to the masses given it's incredibly hardcore nature, but props for doing so :D

12. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

13. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

That's not a hidden Gem, Its the best game ever! (my fav anyways)
    I used to play a game called Nox that I enjoyed alot. Dunno if anyone else did, I never heard much about it.

Last edited: 28 Dec 2007
  14. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

i'll say this once and once only, I like win ME. and I didn't have problems with it either.

anyway, glad to see bloodlines on this list, thoes who know it, know it well. I just wish that the load times weren't so long.

15. Demon Cleaner

Demon Cleaner What's a Dremel?

I would have put Little Big Adventure 2 (Twinsen's Odyssey in the States) on the list. This was and probably still is my favourite game on the PC. I don't think that many people have played it but those who have seem to love it, and It continues to have a thriving community based around it. This is pretty impressive considering it was released over 10 years ago.

Maybe the release of Ocarina of Time took a bit of shine off it, but to me this is the ultimate game in the action-adventure genre. Oh, what I'd do for a sequel....

16. Legendmir

Legendmir What's a Dremel?

@XTRAfresh

hell yes, vagrant story is one of my fave games ever, i battled so long to get that rly long katana off of those dark samurai guys haha

one of my fave games is cybernator on snes, its so japanese i love it!

17. csplayer089

csplayer089 What's a Dremel?

i actually did play condemned: criminal origins, and i loved it. it was extremely creepy and engaging. plus the fact that you get to investigate crimes scenes with actually tools of the trade was very neat.

18. Glider

Glider /dev/null

I'm missing Darwinia in the list ;) Availabe through steam and on the developers website for a tenner...

And damn, I completed Nethack, but in a less graphical mode, 10 years ago... Was about the first game that got me playing...

19. CardJoe

Little Big never really impressed me to be honest, :|

20. legoman666

legoman666 Beat to fit, paint to match.

I'm surprised I didn't see The Longest Journey or it's sequel; Dreamfall: The Longest Journey on the list. Both are excellent games.

Tags: Add Tags