1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Vista won't support CableCARD add-ins

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 4 Aug 2006.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

I really dont understand why? What does it give Microsoft?
    Please enlight me!

3. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

What the hell ? Why would they want to do something like that?

4. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

its NOT microsoft as the article says, its the cable companies wanting to stop HDTV rips hitting the net an hour after the show, thus cutting down viewing numbers -- and we all know viewing numbers are important. Also, now that ABC etc are selling their shows on iTunes and the like they want to make money from them when they get downloaded, thus they are trying to stop capping of the signal... thus, not MS

5. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

MS is not to blaim, its those money hungry RIAA, MPAA, etc..... peaces of putrified flesh that want to make money no mather what, yes, there will be a grey market and yes there will be cracks and hacks, we just need to wait.

6. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

Like some other features of Vista, I think the default install will not support it.

Something will enable it though in time, most likely a hack.

More interestingly, do they think someone buying an OEM pc is morally less likely to copy HD feeds? I think not...

7. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Well, XP is still with us. Get your PVR set up sometime in the next 5 years and you can just use it, and keep using it.

8. dragon2309

dragon2309 techie

well, my whole opinion on vista is that its going to be completely over-rated, and people will only find out when its released, but thats a different story. This may not be microsofts fault but they havent exactly voiced out against it.... Anyway, im pretty sure certain "groups" on the internet will by-pass such features in no time at all after the release

9. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

Well, of course, the Linux-based OS's will support it.
    So... why does anyone want Vista again?

10. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Direct X 10 :(

11. Dizman

Dizman What's a Dremel?

The way I understand it, this has little to do with microsoft or even the networks, but with Cable labs, who licenses the cablecard standard. Cable labs is making it rather hard for a small company, much less a consumer, to get a cablecard in their computer due to 5-figure licensing fees for each different model computer to have the hardware. They are not licensing the cards, but each computer. This is fine for the big OEMs, who can easily afford it, but not the consumers. I haven't looked to far into this recently though, and my info could be outdated, but thats my 2 cents.

12. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

surley you can use some encryption system where the decryption keys are sent 1nce a minuite or somthing over the internet

thus, you would have to have the appropriate software, and account to do it .... or somthing like this

it still wont stuff going on the internet 2 hours after its broadcast, people will still be able to do it, it will just piss off alot of people

13. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

But thats hardly a reason, it can still be done easily by just connecting the STB to a capture card, not as effectively but it can still be done, and thats how it's pretty much always been done. Also the fact that you can STILL do it by buying a pre-built system makes doing this pointless if you consider your argument.

So this change makes little sense, and takes away yet another reason why you want vista over XP, as spec said, pretty much the only reason to get XP is for DX10 now.

14. stephen2002

stephen2002 What's a Dremel?

Umm ... if it supports CableCard tuners that are pre-installed into the box what is preventing somebody from taking that tuner and sticking it some other machine? Seems kinda silly to me.

15. yahooadam

even then, its more like, you have to buy vista if your a gamer, which really really sucks IMO

the article did speculate on that, it may be down to the OS, or the card, either way you could sell them to make money, so people dont have to buy a whole system

16. PHxS

PHxS What's a Dremel?

IIRC, current generation cablecards are only one way cards right now. Why support the current generation when the newer two way system has yet to see the light of day.

It's nice to not have an STB and requisite extra remote, but i'm not going to give up my interactive guides and video on demand.

17. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

Don't worry guys, there will be work-arounds out soon after Vista gets released. DRM never survives long :thumb:

18. TMM

TMM Modder

pfft. Vista is turning out to be the biggest crock of **** ever. I'll be sticking with XP kthxbye. Theres nothing wrong with XP IMHO, so i can't see why you would want to upgrade.

19. yahooadam

beacause MS wont let you run DX10 on XP - gg <_<

20. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

So why does anyone want Vista again :confused:

And just becuase they say DX10 will be for Vista only, doesnt mean they wont make it for XP.

I honestly think they will be forced to make it for XP.

Tags: Add Tags