1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Dark Blade by G69T

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by G69T, 30 Nov 2004.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

My point exactly. What heat are the blades supposed to displace? How is their shape going to help do that? Form follows function.

This is just my opnion. It looks pretty, it is well built. But although I do admire its Myst-like design, I personally just think it is teetering on the brink of losing itself a bit. I could be wrong, just my view here.

2. gebrek

gebrek What's a Dremel?

Form follows function. Sounds a lot like an engineer... Oh well, guess we're just wired different. After all, everyone knows that form and function are one. Or maybe I've just spent too much of my life studying architecture.

Oh, and I'm sure that we'll find out what heat it is supposed to dissipate....

3. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

What's the point? Well remember him saying a part of the theme was sword handles? What better way to compliment sword handles than with scimitar blades ;)

4. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

I can see your point now tbh. Although it is gorgeous, it's just verging on pointlessness in that it's only a computer at the end of the day, so spending so much time on attention to detail etc will mean it's a beautiful case overshadowed by the fact that it's just a computer.

<A88>

5. Idyllic

Idyllic What's a Dremel?

If only I could work out how to subscribe to this thread! Wish I could do something half as good as this.
    Still, the bathroom will look nice when I finish tiling it...

6. gometro33

gometro33 What's a Dremel?

Shame on all of you who say that this mod is "over the top" or "pointless". If the idea of modding isn't to take
    and make something awesome out of it, than what is the point? I've seen mods that are much more over the top and have even more detail (that crazy HL2 mod whose name I can't remember?) and you know what? EVERYONE LOVED IT!!! I BET EVEN YOU GUYS!!! So stop hating on this guy just because he has more toys and skills than you.

/pent up anger

When can we expect an update G69T?

7. hmoner

hmoner What's a Dremel?

I'm counting the passing minutes everyday... hope we can see an update soon... I cannot wait until seeing this beauty finished... :)

8. G69T

G69T CNC Modder

I'm so pride seeing all the acces there are been in so a few time. I'm also very surprised, looking for all the interest you have on my project, and reading all the compliments you want to assign to me.

At the same time I've to excuse me, 'couse I really wasn't working, but...

... I only was swimming, spending my free time by holiday on the beach.

[​IMG]

Best thanks to all of you guys... :thumb:

9. angelorus2000

angelorus2000 What's a Dremel?

where is that place, is so beautiful!!!!

10. G69T

G69T CNC Modder

The pictures of the CNC machines I use, you can find at the beginning of this thread.

The CAD - CAM software I use is a specific software for the CNC milling machines (4 axis).

Bye bye.

11. G69T

G69T CNC Modder

WS and case base Dimension 40 x 40 cm.

For the weight... wait for the end. :D

I am really happy, you belive it's well designed...
    Allthoght, what for me is important, is to project something that first of all respect the functionality. I'm sure, when you could see the position of the rad, you could better understand the matter of some tecnical tricks you will find at the grid blades.

bye bye

see you soon :thumb:

Gian

12. Liquid Steele

Liquid Steele What's a Dremel?

you rock

Great job on the mod " I utterly hate the very fabric of your being for living next to such a awsome beach I am so jealous that I am sick and unable to work so I may have to sue you for punitive damages" :D :D :D

But seriously great job on the Mod it truly is a work of art. :rock:

13. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

You seem to have missed the point by a mile :eyebrow: Nobody's denying that it's a brilliant mod, and that the quality is superb, and that Orac3 and Blackmesa etc were amazing. But with the level of detail that is going on here, I find it hard to justify making everything so 'custom' when there are perfectly adequate nuts, bolts and whathaveyou available. I'm not saying it's a waste of time at all, I think it's a fantastic piece of work, but the n00bs here need to stop worshipping a computer and it's builder and start to appreciate what it really is instead of building metaphorical shrines to them.

<A88>

14. Etacovda

Etacovda What's a Dremel?

"The basic rule for any design is “Form follows function.” If an object has to perform a certain function, its design must support that function to the fullest extent possible."

Its rather narrow minded for someone who 'studies architecture' to say that 'everyone knows that form and function are one' - guess what, I disagree!
    Surprisingly, architecture isnt product design... and architecture often involves adding structure that is purely for arts sake, as does industrial product design.

This project is teetering on art over function. Some like that, some don't; just like some believe form follow function, whilst others believe otherwise - generalisations can kill, start wars... you name it.
    I personally dont like the design, but I can appreciate the work. What really peeves me is people that bag others for their opinions, then go on and make wide generalisations... its rather sad.

15. gebrek

gebrek What's a Dremel?

Wow. I didn't know that my comments would evoke such emotion. Just so that you know, I was only being half serious when I posted that (couldn't quite find the right emoticon for it... stupid dependance on emoticons). I forget that when I'm online my words don't quite carry the same tone that they would if I actually spoke them. And I'm going to stop talking before I make an complete fool of myself...

16. Zero Cool

Zero Cool What's a Dremel?

I kinda disagree that architecture is mearly the placing of buildings for arts sake. Architects don't only deal with art and form, they have to make sure that the form allows it to function, I mean an upside down pyramid might look aesthetically pleasing to someone, but if the funtion of the building is for it to be as sturdy as possible, then the form does not follow the function do to the fact that the building would be very top heavy, etc etc.. but all that aside, why are you bashing on someones opinion about a case mod? it was, after all.....opinions...I hate it when people forget that. now, can we stop with the rediculous banter and grow up? G69T never said you had to like the project, so everyone please smoke some or something and chill.

17. maeterlinck

maeterlinck What's a Dremel?

Jeeze kids - take the architechure debate elsewhere! Please!
    Whilst I can enjoy a good debate about art or subjective issues I don't think project logs are the place - unless they explicitly deal with the project being logged.
    G69T's project may well have features that don't have a tangable function beyond astectics but what doesn't?

Great project and lets not dilute it so much that we can't see it anymore! Please! :D

18. Upriverpaddler

Upriverpaddler What's a Dremel?

I've been following from the beginning and Kudos to G69T for extrordinary vision and skills. I check back almost every day looking for updates. Unfortunately the ratio of your updates to ill composed comments is getting very high.

Would you consider starting a new thread and edit the updates into the original post? Is there anyone out there who thinks this is unique enough to hook this guy up with some webspace?

19. Etacovda

Etacovda What's a Dremel?

I dont think that architecture is merely the placing of buildings for arts sake, thats just sheer stupidity, of course thats not the truth, it saddens me to be accused of saying that, when i clearly did not.

My point to the other poster was his wide generalisation and stating his opinion as fact, and that 'everyone knows it' - hes since apologised, and yeah i probably called him a little harshly on it. I was not 'bashing' his opinion on it, as is obvious in my post - i was disagreeing with his wording and his wide generalisation.

I think this is rather obvious that I dislike it a lot when people bash others opinions.

The more i read your post, the more i realise you didnt understand mine...

enough is enough, at any rate, i thought my post was clear and concise enough that most people would understand its meaning (hell, the original poster even apologised, to which i thank him for!)

20. gebrek

gebrek What's a Dremel?

So when will we get to see this?