1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Dark Blade by G69T

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by G69T, 30 Nov 2004.

1. Samurai75007

Samurai75007 What's a Dremel?

O ya looking good this thing is sick nice...

2. gebrek

gebrek What's a Dremel?

That was worth the wait... and how do you find those vacation spots!

3. csTYCOON

csTYCOON What's a Dremel?

I very much like the dual 120mm rads, looks like the pc will run VERY cool.

4. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

There ain't no details you won't think about, right?
    Wooha! n1 work man!

5. ynema

ynema What's a Dremel?

This is looking awsome.

Keep the good work coming.

6. Pelegrium

Pelegrium What's a Dremel?

Alright!!! Finally an update. :D

Those brass brackets are sweet, I will have to steal the idea, It's so much cleaner than a bolt right trough the rad. I wonder how thick that bracket has to be, looks like it's some 3 or 4 mm. I guess I'll have to mesure it myself :dremel:

Pelegrium out :)

7. Pelegrium

G69T!

One thing that caught my eye in the pic below.

[​IMG]

The black L-bracket, You should machine it to fit 'above' the fan, where You mounted the hex-bolt. That way the fan would be mounted flush to the rad and the visible gap will be reduced. The way You mounted it alot of air will find its way out through the gap instead of through the rad. Remember that air comming out of a fan actually come out almost radially. You can check that by holding a spinning fan in Your hand and with the other feel the airflow around it.

Last edited: 20 Aug 2005
  8. Zebo

Zebo What's a Dremel?

:eeek: This is the best CNC, craftsmanship and design I've ever seen. Thank you so much for bringing it to our attention. Proof that Italians really do do it better!

9. cruiza

cruiza What's a Dremel?

Sorry to disagree Pelegrium, but having a gap between fan and rad increases preformance and lowers noise try it and see, ideally fan needs to be at least 10mm from rad and shrouded so no air bleeds off to the sides.

10. Rh1n0x

Rh1n0x What's a Dremel?

*agrees with cruisa.

@G69T

:jawdrop:

[​IMG]

that one 2:

:jawdrop:

good luck!

11. Pelegrium

...but that's just the point, isn't it? You have to have an airtight seal, otherwise the air will bleed off, right? That was my point, nothing else. I was, however, a bit surprised that G69T chose no shroud, but it is his project so I have no say ;)

12. PA!N

PA!N What's a Dremel?

AHHH thats a insanely casemodd!!!Very beautyfull!!!!

13. cruiza

cruiza What's a Dremel?

You havn't tryed it have you?

Shrouds depending on how far you want to take it can be a complex subject.
    For example if fan is located in a shroud performance can be improved or decreased by the location of the fan within the shroud. but in the case of having the fan up to close to the rad here is a much similfied reason why you should not do it.

the air that is coming off the blades is not travelling striaght and in line with the vanes of the rad but at an angle to the vanes. The air is forced to change direction some will bonce back off the vanes toward the fan! this causes interferance and decreases fan raditor performance and can be heard as increased noise. Try it and see for yourself hold a fan in your hand and place it up againest a rad while fan is running pull it away from rad slowly with your hand behind the rad feel how much airflow is coming thru finially make a temp shroud out of paper and wrap it around the fan and repeat the exercise, the minium distance from fan to rad it about 10mm and the ideal about 15 to 25 depending on who you ask.

PS great work GT you have a real imagination and flair for design, which I believe are the key incrediants of great modding / case construction :thumb:

14. leviathan18

leviathan18 What's a Dremel?

cruiza so that should be applied for heatsinks too? or it just works for rads where the air pass trough?

15. cruiza

cruiza What's a Dremel?

It would depend on the design of the heat-sink
    Inmy own case I have a Sonic tower which has heaps of large fins very close togethier, the stock mounting puts the fan hard againest heatsink by making custom mounts placing the fan 20mm away I cut noise from fan to heatshink interface interfairance by 3/4 for no drop in cooling performance and as a bonus RAM now has cool air blowing over it too

However for a heat sink which is a pin type ie flat with pins or ridges sticking up and a fan blowing down I do not believe it would be such an issue.

Areo dianamics are a complex subject, take for example the gap from the end of the fan blade to the side of the fan case it is only a millimetre or so but alter that and you can change how the fan works dramatically.

One mod I do is I never cut a round hole for a fan, have a look at a fan notice that the corners are beveled into the round fan so the correct hole for a fan is actually a square with rounded corners. :dremel:

Apologies to G69t for highjacking the thread

16. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I like your idea of a small update. lol, keep up the good work.

17. EdOBeA

EdOBeA What's a Dremel?

:jawdrop: Great job :eeek:

Keep the good work.

Edo

18. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

when you get done can you make me one?

19. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

Right, so you need to make a shroud or lower it back down. Those BIX's are thick so that fan will avoid drawing air through those fins if it can

20. cruiza

cruiza What's a Dremel?

NO! :read:
    try reading what i have posted or better yet try a little experimentation yourself, what g69t has done is better then having the fan hard up againest the rad but not as good, in terms of performance, as shrouded and mounted further away from rad