1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Black Narcissus: 2006 FIN:

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by modsquad, 28 Jun 2004.

1. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

Take a look at the last page of my Soylent Green project. It has "all-but" step/step custom painting information.. :thumb:
    It should be enough to get you started..

2. modsquad

ReD Acrylic Skirt

One of the last in a long-long line of updates..
    Red acylic skirt:
    I came up with this idea some months back. An acrylic skirt for the lower-half of the V1000. I idea is to tie-in with the red theme and as a side benefit hide the lower section of the case behind red acrylic making wiring-management EZ'er.
    Because of the compound-angles for the skirt, I made a cardboard template to work from.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Test fit:
    [​IMG]
    As with the red acrylic behind the Aqua-Computer APE240 grill, I only removed the backing-paper from the face of the acrylic.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    That looks pretty good and works very well to hide the radiator and wiring in that area. With the skirt complete, I also installed the Matrix Orbital VFD in it's new home:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    That will do it for today. With this project in it's 14th month I feel the need for "closure"..There are no more real changes to be made or mods to be started..Only odds/ends to be finished..Which I hope to complete within a few weeks. So, expect one (or two) last blasts of "final-pictures" in the coming weeks... :thumb:

3. robbybertu15

robbybertu15 <b>needs a job</b>

Looks great!

4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

It's getting so close! I feel like the skirt just doesn't seem quite right though. Maybe because it's so much red acrylic with no breaks - you've got smaller pieces, etched pieces, and the one behind the grill, but this one is so much more in-your-face. It's almost kinda plain compared to everything else... like it needs to be broken up in some way. I really don't know what simply based off of the location, size, and the amount of everything else there is.

Maybe because you left the backing-paper on so it's just red, not transparent at all. I wonder at least what a photoshopped version of transparent red would come off as, so the load of wires and tubing and whatnot under there is more masked rather than just covered up.

I'll see if I can find a fairly current side-shot of it and play around a bit (*grumble* need to reinstall photoshop finally... lol), just to at least get an idea of it. (edit - went back at least 15 pages... really nothing that shows a fairly current side shot of the case with the panel off and not a test-fit skirt)

Last edited: 28 Aug 2005
  5. modsquad

I can't disagree Firehed, it is "more in your face RED".. I originally envisioned using more Aqua-Computer radiator grills (cut/to/fit) over the top of the acrylic, BUT...There is a clearance issue..Can't get the side panel back on because of the added thickness.
    I also thought about pealing-off the backing paper. That would "tone it down" no question. I may do just that, I need to drink a few beers and contemplate.......
    Covering that area of the LL V-series is a "home-run" (IMO).........
    Just need to work out the details............
    PS:
    That was a difficult piece to cut. The first one cracked :wallbash: on me and I had to start over..
    It is nice to be "close".. Posting updates on BN via BN is a good-feeling..Another PS: Blocking the wire-hole in the divider plate with the Matrix Orbital VFD affected my CPU temp a little..BUt "as I type" 34C for an AMD Athlon64 FX-55 is "not to shabby"..
    Small_Bore cooling... :brrr:

Last edited: 28 Aug 2005
  6. koegsmk

koegsmk What's a Dremel?

I must agree to firehed, this look too plain and naked, probably somewhat "unfinished". Maybe some etching would improve the look.

7. modsquad

Not to worry..I will come UP with something.. :thumb:

8. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I think playing around with an image like this would go a long way in deciding what exactly to do with the acrylic (peel the back off, leave as-is, "break-it-up" somehow). Obviously an early stage of my box and the closet isn't necessary as a background, but the simple tweaking of a colored rectangle and opacity gives instant virtual windows (or acrylic sheets, as this wouldn't be quite a window) in Photoshop.

Oh all the older pics of my case making me feel guilty about having done so little during the summer :waah: But woot for having every other day off first semester :) I REALLY need a half-decent second system so it's not such a PITA to have Frozenfire taken apart.

9. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

How about leaving the red skirt in there and have your side panel watercut to say "Black Narcissus" on the bottom. Letters could be big enough to allow sight into the lower compartment. Would look really hot with a light down there. I am doing something similar with the Feeding Frenzy name so people can see in the bottom of the case if they want to look close and also the name of my project is also prominent when you step back a few feet. :hip:

10. grumblemarc

grumblemarc What's a Dremel?

Send it out and get it laser etched with some more skulls. The bay cover too.

11. fyes

fyes What's a Dremel?

Absolutely gorgeous.

12. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

I like Top_Nurse's idea, cut out the name in the side panel, in a nice big font, and have the red show throught the letters :)

13. simosaurus

simosaurus What's a Dremel?

i dont like it at all like that (not that it matters cuz its ur case) but it would be much better if u left it transparent, u have a nice load of gear down there, would be a shame to hide it

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Initially I was going to say: stick with minimalist elegance and leave the skirt as is, but I do like that idea. :thumb: Good place for a name (just chhose your font carefully --that can make or break the look).

15. Zzubbione

Zzubbione What's a Dremel?

i follow this mod since the biginning...... and you're work is incredible.

modsquad.... you are one of the master of modding on this forum (and many other!)

many of your ideas and solutions must be in the school books!!!! :D

this computer is not a mod. it's a technological window (not sure of the english for "vitrine technologique")....

great work.

16. modsquad

No, not to say it's not a good idea (it is), but just not my style.
    What I am thinking about is another (smaller version) is the devil_head
    [​IMG]
    which I have and could be cut to fit and installed behind the red acrylic skirt. It should clear. The clearance issue I spoke of is at both ends of the case not in the middle (where the etch would go)..
    Still drinking beer and formulating a plan..
    Seems my original plan of "another week or two" needs revision... :waah:

17. modsquad

I think you are giving me more credit than I am due, but thanks just the same. :blush: Stay tuned, more to come.. :thumb:

18. modsquad

A "PS" post.
    I found a source for Eheim pump parts and ordered a 1048 shaft/impeller for my 1046. So the "hot-rod" Eheim 1046 experiment will continue soon.
    Premium Aquatics Good prices as well.

19. modsquad

Nexxo:
    If I am achieving "minimalist elegance" I am a happy man.. Thanks. Kudos from you mean MUCH to me. I hold you and MetaVersa in high regard, so getting positive feed-back from you is very gratifying..Thanks..

20. Lethal_Dosage

Lethal_Dosage What's a Dremel?

What if you were to take some black, opaque or smoked, plexi and put that on top of it sorta going with the contour of the case. Sorta like this:

[​IMG]
    Sorry for the poor pic, dont have Photoshop installed yet.

I think you can get what im saying a bit. Maybe not quite that design, but i think that would break it up good.