1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High power green laser pointer fun *pics; 56k warning*

Discussion in 'General' started by ConKbot of Doom, 12 Oct 2005.

1. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

It doesn't matter what his intentions are, accidents can and will happen, and if you're playing around with dangerous equipment you're just asking for trouble. All it takes is one bad refraction when he's shining the laser into pretty crystal geese for him to be blinded for life...is that really an acceptable risk? :rolleyes:

2. No.1 ND Student

No.1 ND Student Banned

could be worse could be reloading the riffle and accidentaly shoot himself lol

3. Migishu

Migishu What's a Dremel?

I thought that would be physicly impossible...

Handgun maybe, but rifle?

4. thecrownles

thecrownles What's a Relix?

I think you're blowing way out of proportion the fact that he uses a 25mW hunting laser. Take a chill pill and get off your high horse.

5. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

Should we also ban steak knifes and forks? Forks are possibly the worst, you could stab yourself in the cheek or something. . .

A fact of life is that danger exists everywhere. No one should act like an idiot with a pistol, rifle, or laser pointer. But simply because there might be a few idiots (and there always are in a modern society) we should not ban those items.

Quite honestly, if an idiot accidentally kills themself by having a complete disregard for safety, natural selection is still doing it's job. . .

L J

6. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

If only we could get these in the UK.

Did anyone see the "Elite" Version, can burn skin and electrical tape :eek:

7. Godboy_g

Godboy_g What's a Dremel?

If the steak knife was 10 miles long, because that is about the range of these laser pointers, then yes they should be banned from public use.

*Begin Rant*
    Not to mention guns. There is absolutely no reason why anyone in this day and age should need to have a gun. One might make an argument that the gun is used in hunting, however we don't *need* to hunt any more. We've got super markets, and restaurants, and agriculture. I suppose that if you lived in a remote area, and you would starve without the meat from hunting, then it would be justified, but I mean what does someone in the middle of a town, or city really need a gun for. I mean come on.....
    *End Rant*

8. lbreevesii

lbreevesii What's a Dremel?

ooo thats sweeet. i want one but i sure as hell can't afford to drop that kind of dough on a laser...

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Make a rational argument or don't post.

Much as I am a big fan of natural selection, and would wholeheartedly agree with you, the problem is that we are talking about something that may hurt others, not the user. Secondly, we are talking about something that arguably is unnecessary.

It's like driving a very powerful car. People want to kill themselves in a high speed car crash, that's entirely their choice. If they kill someone else however, it is a different matter. And then you have to ask yourself how much point there was to producing a road-going vehicle that can do 250mph in any case...

10. Godboy_g

Godboy_g What's a Dremel?

So that men who are somewhat less "gifted" :naughty: can compensate and feel better about themselves :D

11. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

Um - the hole point of the thread is how much power the thing has...
    That's all.

12. specofdust

specofdust Banned

That's a whole other thread, but if you start it, give me a PM and I'll gladly spar :p

13. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

Someday we will be able to buy lasers to burn holes on the moon.

14. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

In the sense that he could take this laser pointer and use it to purposely burn someones eye out, then as it is a pretty dangerous weapon, in that sense he should not have the laser. However, I really doubt his intentions are to go on a mission to blind people.

As far as guns go, there is one big problem- if they were made illegal in one country there would be no way to stop illegal weapons from coming in from other countries. People would still get access to guns. . . If your looking for a weapon to rob a bank, you could go to a local gunstore and pick-up a pistol for roughly $600, or you could find an illegal AK-47 for about $400 (unfortuately I have a friend who spent his summer participating in gang wars). . .

L J

15. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

Gang war by proxy?

- H.

16. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Of course they aren't. Like a drunk driver really doesn't intend to kill a pedestrian. Like a guy who is speeding really doesn't intend to lose control of his car.

17. TCEuk

TCEuk What's a Dremel?

Does that come with a safety catch?

How hot does your skin get when you shine the laser on it?

18. Mary Jo

Mary Jo oh lolz

Been following the thread for a while now. I'm not quite sure where I sit on this. In one hand I realise it's dangerous and in the other I realise that everything is 'dangerous'.

Where does one draw the line with any item of potential danger? Using cars again as an example - one obviously needs a license for a car, but what about faster cars - should one need a different license?

How can you judge what needs a license and what doesn't? Electric hedge-trimmers are dangerous, but as yet, you won't need a license to purchase one. Think of the sheer volume of extra paperwork involved in creating a license system for every owner of a hedge-trimmer, nevermind the rest of the garden and kitchen appliances.

With the advancement of technology comes new dangers. I don't think there's any real way to start restricting everything that poses a threat - it's far too big a task. The only simple way is the standard basic age check. Say, over 18s only for anything that could cause damage e.g. kitchen knifes, matches, laser pens etc. and hope that these people use them responsibly. Then all you can do is wait and arrest the ones who are irresponsible.

19. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Yeah, but age doesn't mean squat. I was more responsible at 12 than most people three times my age. 18 effectly says "I'm aware that there are consequences and know that I will have to suffer through them" in society today, because it certainly doesn't stop bad things from happening. A general background check would be much more effective... people with a history of going off and stabbing people to death can't go and pick up that 24-pack of Wal-mart steak knives.

20. Mary Jo

Mary Jo oh lolz

It really does, though. The average kid simply doesn't have enough life experience to ensure the health and safety of others.

I'm sorry, but I very much doubt that. No matter how competent and responsible you probably were (or thought you were), adults pretty much always have the upper hand on a 12-year old.
    Out of interest, how old are you, now?

Not really, though. There's only a small percentage of people that will have a record for violent crimes. What about all the 16-17 year old chavs that don't have any record yet - should we sell them a nice big machete?