1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

maxtor hard drives...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by venomz, 19 Oct 2005.

1. venomz

venomz What's a Dremel?

no one get a maxtor hard drive if you use your computer alot... i have had 2 hard drives failed on me. they both crashed.... i mean it could be me but i had a seagate that lasted 2 years.... so yeah dont get a maxtor drive...

2. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

I know maxtors have a higher failure rate than other makes, I wouldn't totally not buy maxtor, but I would advise going for seagate if you want a bit of reliability tbh.

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Your mileage may vary. I've used a Maxtor in my old PC for eight years now, still going strong.

If you want to know about long-term drive reliability, check Storage Review.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Im not buying another Maxtor either :( Seagate Cheesecake, never had one fail on me.

5. CarlT2001

CarlT2001 What's a Dremel?

I use to work in the RMA department of a tech distribution company and Maxtors were the most popular make to come back....I'm with Bindi - Seagate Cheesecake....

6. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

QFT, great drives.

[/fanboy]

7. lbreevesii

lbreevesii What's a Dremel?

yeah, maxtor tends to be sketchy. I actually bought 2 drives out of the same lot. One is quiet, one is loud as hell. I don't trust em fo rmy main rig...

8. Comg33k

Comg33k What's a Dremel?

I have 4 Maxtor HD's and they run perfectly fine. I've had one for about 7 years and still works like a charm. I have a 250GB Maxtor Hard Drive and it runs great.

I also have a Westren Digital 20GB 5400 I got from a computer but it's kind of noisy!

9. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

It's down to luck mostly. I own 6 maxtors, 4 of which area in the one rig and have been going for a good few years now with regular abuse. Not had a single error. Whenever I go to purchase a new HDD I only choose Maxtor as I've had 100% success with them.

10. Sam0r

Sam0r It's been a while

My samsung's been pretty kind to me since i've had it (just over a year). Also, my friends all run samsung drives, and none of them have had any problems (Both SATA and IDE)

11. Comg33k

Comg33k What's a Dremel?

also just to note about Maxtor's is that I've heard and possibly read somewhere that Seagate is the same manufacture for Maxtor and Seagates are known to be the best hard drives around! :rock:

12. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Only drive I've had fail on me was a Seagate, and I've used each of the big three. I've got a 300GB Maxtor holding most of my media and I haven't had any worries. Then again it is a MaxLine which are designated for 24/7 use.

13. venomz

venomz What's a Dremel?

iv had 3 hard drives that i abuse pritty good. i play up to some times 10 hours -15 hours in a game. so hehe mabey my fult I donno :D . i just bought a 120 gig hard drive 7200 rpm's which it is a western digital works great :) i love it . my last hard drive was maken humming noise's and i have all the screws screwed in correctly and tightend. so... i always have bad luck with them. never agen.!>!>!>! FWI maxtors suck hehe

14. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

i <3 my maxtors
    i run 4 maxlines in my file server as well as a DM9 as the boot disk, used to run 2 dm9's as my main system rig but have since moved to 2 sata2 hitachis :drool:
    had 1 maxline fail, was replaced asap

15. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Maxtors can be ok. They're cheap, alot of people get along fine with them, and to be honest if it fails that fast its within warrenty so you're fine, and don't say your not fine because you lose data, because all hdd's fail, so you always need to have stuff backed up or be prepared to lose it.

16. Lord_A

Lord_A Boom baby!

I'm running a 120gig Maxtor in my g/f's PC for almost 2 years now and it has been on pretty much 24/7 - no problems so far with it at all.

Also have one in my father's office PC for 3 years now, 24/7 use and no problems.

I am looking to buy a new 250gig drive for myself and I was going to go for those new Maxtor III drives with 16mb cache and all that, but everywhere I look people are saying that there are a lot of inconsistensies with the drives.
    For example: 2 drives, identical model numbers, same build dates from the same factory - 1 drive will be quite and fast, the other will be noisy and slow.

Looking into either a Samsung or Seagate now.

17. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

I've had mixed experinces with Maxtor's. I've got a couple of really old 15gb drives working fine. I had a newish 40gb fail on me, and the two DM9s I used to run would run at over 60'c causing all kinds of issues.

Right now I'm very happy with Samsung Spinpoint drives.

18. specofdust

specofdust Banned

My Maxline III is pretty good, its seek noise is very annoying cos its low and vibrational, but if I got some anti-vibration mounts i imagine it'd become less noisy then my other drives.

Very quick for me, not sure if the 16MB cache is making the difference, but its a great drive.

19. TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Minimodder

No one really recommended my fav... WD, I don't think they're too noisy, I use them as much as I can, Seagates are my 2nd choice, had several hdd's die, one was a Maxtor that just locked up one day, one a Maxtor in an xbox (dropped haha), and the other was a WD that just lived it's days out :(

20. severedhead

severedhead What's a Dremel?

Same here, I've had 3 or so Seagate drives fail on me. Can't grumble at their RMA service though, all have been replaced quickly.
    I've only had one Maxtor die on me, and that was about 6 years old.
    Samsungs however seem to live forever!