1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Original Mod Thread

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Altron, 11 May 2003.

1. tetleyex

tetleyex What's a Dremel?

Oooh, thread revival.

Well, excuse the dust, and dodgeyness in parts... But...

[​IMG]

I don't think anyone's done that before.

2. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

About the carbon fiber mouse
    Lolll :D i use that pic all the time to show peoples what it looks like and that it can be done with nmptech carbon fiber film, now i'll have a name to post it with :thumb:
    Great mod btw :dremel:

3. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Well a couple off the top of my head...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aquatube mounted at a 45° angle.

[​IMG]

Mirrored perspex infront of character LCD.

4. DickH

DickH What's a Dremel?

I can't recall seeing anyone else do it, so I will say these are firsts. They can all be seen in my 500w Shuttle project log.

I managed to fit a 500w PSU inside a shuttle xpc, its not pretty but it works great. Of course I had to do some modifications to get it to fit nicely. I went through a few revisions, but the final one was very similar to the first, I guess I had it right from the start.

I am not the first to watercool a shuttle, but I think I am the first to do an all internal loop with a 120mm radiator. It took a bit of planning and some luck, but I got a pump, a fillport a 120mm rad, a cpu waterblock and a custom made gpu block to fit inside. I only have 1 fan on the rad, but I have room for a second fan.

I don't know if this counts, or is a first, but I have a thing for multiple layer faceplates, and playing with the lighting options. I expecially have a thing for curved faceplates. I haven't seen this done before, so I will assume I am the first, at least on a sff.

Others that are more shuttle specific and include, reversing the ICE unit for better cooling, adding a 120mm fan directly to the back, I once had a fan controller inside behind the optical drive probably not a first, but I mounted my hard drive behind my optical drive for better aifrlow. I never saw any of those before I did them, but they may have been done before me.

Oh, and my favorite one that really doesn't matter is I took my nice blue zalman chipset heatsink and filed the corners of the fins to give it a 2-tone blue/siver look, it looked real nice, but will never be seen.

Last edited: 15 Nov 2005
  5. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

my project log, just hit the 2 year date, at any rate I believe I was the first one to stick a comp in a WWII radio and watercool it to boot, My next case will hopefully have some firsts, but honestly does it matter that much?
    my hat goes off to Japaala from metku mods as he was so innovative, that companies started making his mods

6. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

And i never saw someone else giving new life to a worthless drive cooler the way i did lol :hehe:
    This out of
    [​IMG]

this (and this was modded beleive it or not) lol :hehe:

[​IMG]

And no one made a race car out of a mouse or a mouse out of a mouse (and no they dont work, but still looks good lol. the red light under looks nicer than the pic :waah:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm also the only one who's transformed a regular Tt crystal orb into something worth being on motherboards (Tt should copy that please)
    [​IMG]
    And what else... this if i didn't put it in yet
    My webcam/headset rest/freaky ripped off terminator head :dremel:
    It's a plastic halloween head on a flexible lamp shaft and loose wires to give it the look housing my logitech web cam. there's also a strobe inside that still works :dremel:
    [​IMG]

I think that's about it :thumb:

Last edited: 16 Nov 2005
  7. Dgephri

Dgephri What's a Dremel?

Hmmm, first to "stuff"

May have been the first to window the door in a Chemning in the States (aug 99 IIRC)

May have been the first to make two color UV LED fans (Luxdesign pic was me). I used two separate UV paints...nobody sold colored UV fans yet.

First Fiber Optic starfield--Lubic Zen-Feng (CPU Aug 05 issue).

First LCD color modded G15 keyboard.

8. Infraggable Krunk

Infraggable Krunk What's a Dremel?

lol thanks, yeah the key is the controlled heating and slow streching, then wrapping the cf underneath the mouse and getting it inside.

I still have the mouse and looks just as good as teh day I did it

:( wish I could get in on one of the mx1000 deals

9. Shuriken

Shuriken same christmas AV for a whole year

When I came up with this Idea it hadn't been done, but a year or so later when I got round to doing it modular supplies were on sale :wallbash:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And of course the modular supplies you can buy are better as the plugs are mounted into the case.

Oh well, the idea was original.

Matt

10. Hellboy787

Hellboy787 What's a Dremel?

Shuriken Dude.... I have done the same to my 550w p/s...Great minds think a like..

I think that every mod has his own problems so even if you are trying someone elses idea or ideas, it still not going to be easy. So each mod is going to be unique as the equipment inside is never the same and this brings new problem that the modder has to overcome.

11. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

Wow talking of stealth drives I just had an awesome Idea.

If anyone is thinking of doing a stealth drive or they are looking for a small mod, then PM me, I have an awesome idea.

I would do it myself, but I am not really a modder. And am short on cash :p

12. FanatiK

FanatiK What's a Dremel?

Actually I'm doing that. If you look at my project log: miniG5ized you'll see the sketch of the duct system I'm doing. It goes from top to bottom though. I'm probably not the first to do this but I came up with it on my own. It just made sense to have it like this.

Here is something I've done that I haven't seen anyone else. I stuck a psone lcd on a lamp swingarm to make viewing better and it also looks freaking cool. :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. DickH

DickH What's a Dremel?

dont forget about your cable fan grill, and the thing you do with your logo screws, also if you do that light thing on the middle of the fan you should be the first.

14. FanatiK

FanatiK What's a Dremel?

Yea the fan grill but it wasnt really something I would call outstanding so I didnt post it. Here is a pic of it though. Also one thing I havent seen people do is having brushed aluminum behind plexi in their mods. Its probably been done but I discovered it on my own. Which makes me real proud. :rock:
    [​IMG]

15. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Just to point out, this isn't really a thread about claiming credit for ideas, it's more about sharing some of the more unique and interesting mods you've done for the benefit of others.

16. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

i think i'm the only person to use a sink drain to clean up a fan intake hole
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

no pic of the finished product, that project is on indefinite hiatus.

17. gulp35

gulp35 What's a Dremel?

Revival!!!
    I love original mod Ideas!!!

I've been thinking of one that takes the modular PSU to the next level!!!
    EXTERNAL POWER SUPPLY...

Hack into the psu and connect a large gauge wire to each of the power terminals (12v1,12v2, 5v, 3,3v) and one to each of those extra wierd wires...
    Then have those wires be connected to the back of the PC (or really wherever) and run wires like a normal modular PSU from the "nexus" power to the desired locations (HDD, MoBO, CDROM)...

The only problem is that I'm not sure if it would be worth the effort (i.e. it looks good when finished and works just as well as a normal PSU) to do the mod...

Oh yeah,... I also am trying to implement a muffler that adjusts itself to minimize fan noise...

18. Navig

Navig What's a Dremel?

Here is a joke mod I came up with:

About 8 months before Zalman came out with the VF series, I actually had an email conversation with a Zalman tech about this mod where I hard mounted a Zalman 7000 to my 9600 pro. I even mentioned how they would have to make it asymmetrical to clear the agp slot. I swear they stole it from me!

[​IMG]

Here's my latest video card cooler. Why don't they put real blowers on video cards?

[​IMG]

Here are some of my latest builds:

System #1

System #2

Mods I'm most proud of:

Intelligent air flow design.
    Wiring in remotes for over a year now.
    White cold cathode lighting that can turn on independently of the computer--this would be a god send to bench testers and overclockers.
    Window tinting as a cheap method for adding graphics and zing to windows.

navig

19. Kobalt

Kobalt What's a Dremel?

:jawdrop: I have to say, after looking at your 2 systems worklog,you make our mods (at least mine) look like hummmm! almost pittyful :hehe:

Nice, real nice especially the motherboard re wirering :eeek: