1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: My Room and Everything in it [UPDATED: JAN 5]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by NzC, 6 Aug 2004.

1. crazydeep74

crazydeep74 What's a Dremel?

"35 year old aging hipster" Do you mean that by the home automation stuff?

2. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

First, because I can and it is fun. But also, I am 18 now (well in less than 5 hours...my B-Day is Jan 7) and I will be moving into an apartment next year. This is preparation.

Nick

3. gar

gar Minimodder

Hey, well happy birthday!

I'm doing my own room project, which your project actually inspired. My theme will also be computer based, but will have more of a media entertainment theme.

I like the fact that you can relax in your room and still have seperate space to work. Mine is so small I can barely imagine how everything will fit, but I'll keep going till the bitter end!
    Do you watch films in your room and if so what do you use to do this?

my project: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=104479

Last edited: 7 Jan 2006
  4. crazydeep74

Happy birthday!

5. Yaik

Yaik What's a Dremel?

Happy Birthday Nick :thumb:

6. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the happy birthdays, guys!

Actually, I already am subscribed to your thread!! I am looking forward to updates. Do you have a discussion thread?? I did not see one.

I am about to replace the wall switch in my room so I have to power down EVERYTHING (first time in a long time! we almost never have power outages.). Will be back with pictures soon.

Nick

7. gar

gar Minimodder

8. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

I got one for Christmas and Visual Studio has been open everyday since then writing programs to control stuff in my room.

9. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

Well I will hop over to that thread as soon as I finish here. Yes I would love to have a pocket PC, and in fact I almost got a pocket PC/cell phone this summer when I got a new phone but my parentals nixed it. When I get my next phone I will get a Pocket PC. My dad has one for work and I love it!! I just have other things that I want to purchase first. Starting at the end of summer, I hope to have a full time job, so that will help. My top most priority is a projector, which leads me back to your early question, gar. Did you mean what kind of media or player do I use, or for the actual viewing. Well I will answer both. I play stuff either on my 19" widescreen LCD or on my TV. I either play it from my VHS/DVD player or from my PC HDDs depending on what I am watching. I am assuming you meant the viewing media so, as I said, mostly the 19" LCD. But I would LOVE to get a projector. (And there is a SLIGHT possibility that I will be getting one tomorrow (not gift, but with my money...there is a liquidation expo tomorrow in the 'burgh and I am hoping that I will get one there or at this surplus used computer equipment store). If I find one for under 500 (I know it is stretching it) I will get it.

Ok I will be back later with pictures of everything up and running!

Nick

10. Avner

Avner What's a Dremel?

11. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

UPDATE!

So here is cool stuff! I am actually going to show you guys my sleeping room.

[​IMG]
    This is my media computer monitor and keyboard. I listen to music and watch videos on this at night.

[​IMG]
    This is the keyboard and mouse and little shelf for stuff at night. You can see my cell charging and also a control for my X10 stuff.

[​IMG]
    The monitor for the media PC, speakers, and an accent light...oh you can see what this is!

[​IMG]
    This is the mess that is in my room that I was telling you about. Its all junk that my parents stuck in here.... :waah:

[​IMG]
    Thats the media computer. I would like to spice it up later. Make it fit under the bed completely and still get ventilation.

[​IMG]
    Here is one of the X10 controllers.

[​IMG]
    Here is the computer running ActiveHome Pro software.

[​IMG]
    Here is the USB interface. The cool thing about this interface is that is stores all macros and timings on the interface so that the ActiveHome software doesnt have to be running. This is also the RF reciever for all of the controllers and motion sensors.

[​IMG]
    Here is a motion sensor in the doorway of my bed room. It turns on the accent light.

[​IMG]
    These are the remotes. The one on the left is the master lighting control. The one on the right is a 5-in-1 learning remote. I can control my speakers, TV, VCR, PC and X10 system from this remote.

[​IMG]
    This is the last controller. It is all presets. Top left=Ceiling light on for 5 min, then to my favorite lighting. Top right=all off. 2nd left=directly to my favorite. 2nd right = bedtime sequence (20 min total). Then the 3rd is for my desk light. And the last is a bright dim setting.

[​IMG]
    I also bought stuff for my closet. The stack of mini drawers are for my electronic pieces and more. I also got another hanging shelf for more closet space.

[​IMG]
    I added this glass shelf over my printer. It frees up the area and I think it looks nice.

[​IMG]
    With flash.

[​IMG]
    The remote holder and lighted coaster (under the cup) are X-Mas presents from my girlfriend. I recently got the vase from Ikea too.

[​IMG]
    I also got a Wacom tablet with x-mas money. Fun gadget.

[​IMG]
    And a little idea. I just don't know where or how. I want to mount my laptop on a wall like this....Any suggestions on where or how?

Ok thats it. I am really tired so off to bed.....

Nick

12. Avner

Avner What's a Dremel?

Hi,
    great stuff, how much did all X10 modules cost ?

as for the laptop, just tell me one thing, not where or how - WHY ??????
    how could you be typing when the keyboard is sticked to the wall ?
    and you are standing in front of it ?
    or, maybe i haven't got you correctly ?........

Av

13. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

He probably won't be using it for typing or anything but probably to like view computer stats maybe.

14. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

Av: just like Casey said, it will be for mostly just a display, but it actually does not seem like it would be hard to type if you are typing only a little bit.

As for the X10 stuff: everything cost $150 (free shipping). They are running a special starter kit offer. You pick a Universal Remote, 3 controllers, 8 modules, and 2 motion sensors. It comes with the USB interface. That is all $150. I don't know how long the offer will run, but thats what I got.

Nick

15. Avner

Avner What's a Dremel?

well, quite cheap for all that equipment incl the software...

as for the laptop, you can make a really small shelf on the wall, with a border, so the laptop will stand on it wo falling, and let's say a small strip to hold it at the bottom of the screen....

16. Firefox90

Firefox90 What's a Dremel?

Nice stuff. I have something very similar to those light controllers. It's wireless and all, but the controller is hard power wired because they are pretty old. They are awesome.

Be careful with that PC under your bed or on the floor period. It's acting as a vacuum basically for the dust bunnies.

17. mavlin

mavlin What's a Dremel?

Nice room and stuff ya have there. And happy b-day.

18. NzC

NzC What's a Dremel?

Well, I am planning on making a new case for this and putting filters on the fans. Its a PIII: anyone know how hot they get??

Well, I did not buy anything today, but I did get a Swiss Army Cybertool from my dad. It is awesome! It has everything and more in it!!

Ok I am tired, so off to bed it is.

Nick

19. alternate.eago

alternate.eago What's a Dremel?

man... seriously think about gettin that home automation set....that is slick...I see that you need to mod the sleeping room to be geek friendly also!....ummm when are you gonna update next?

20. crazydeep74

My Pentium 933MHz 133MHz FSB gets too 71 degrees F max with a aluminum heatsink and small 20-300mm fan and some artic silver 5 thermal paste. It has two 120MM fans blowing over it.